The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > Gaming Lounge

Old 01-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #1107
MikeMoach

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devryn17 View Post
Granted, but the discs don't have any kind of unique ID so how do you prove you legitimately own the game?
Bar codes on the box are unique can use those like a redemption code
MikeMoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #1108
Devryn17
Suffers Fools Poorly

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, CGM w/ Silver Stripes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMoach View Post
Bar codes on the box are unique can use those like a redemption code
Bar codes are not unique. Every boxed game under the same SKU has the same bar code.

Momma didn't bronze my shoes, but when I turned 16 I inherited a lead foot.
Devryn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #1109
MikeMoach

Quote:
Bar codes are not unique. Every boxed game under the same SKU has the same bar code.
Well all I know is I own a bunch of disc based games, and I shouldn't have to pay again to play them

These people get paid lots of money to figure this out so let's hope they don't screw any of us over and have to pay for our games again
Old 01-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #1110
Devryn17
Suffers Fools Poorly

Quote:
Well all I know is I own a bunch of disc based games, and I shouldn't have to pay again to play them

These people get paid lots of money to figure this out so let's hope they don't screw any of us over and have to pay for our games again
Sorry brother. They won't do anything for your disc based games. I own FFVII, FFIX, FF Tactics, Xenogears, Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter, etc, and to play them on my Vita, I still had to buy them again.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #1111
MikeMoach

Quote:
Sorry brother. They won't do anything for your disc based games. I own FFVII, FFIX, FF Tactics, Xenogears, Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter, etc, and to play them on my Vita, I still had to buy them again.
Sorry but that's dumb, there should be a way for us to redem your game digitally instead of buying it twice
Old 01-08-2014, 11:32 AM   #1112
Devryn17
Suffers Fools Poorly

Quote:
Sorry but that's dumb, there should be a way for us to redem your game digitally instead of buying it twice
This is why I have tried to buy games digitally as often as possible.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #1113
MikeMoach

Quote:
Still don't know if that will help you either, the lil I read so far it's very vague
Old 01-08-2014, 03:50 PM   #1114
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Not exactly, and all of the details haven't been released yet, but it works like OnLive.

The way I understand it now, there will be a monthly fee, and for that fee, you'll have access to a library of games from PS3, PS2, PS1, and maybe others. These games will be played via high speed internet and streamed from the "cloud." No install, no downloading, they just play from the cloud. They will also give you the ability to "rent" games if you don't want to pay the monthly fee.

What I want to know is if I'll be able to stream games I already own digitally.
It should be noted that right now it is only PS4 and select PS3 games. Also at launch it will only be available on the PS3 but PS4 support and select Sony Bravia TV's will soon follow. Vita, tablet's and PC support will come eventually.

Quote:
Not just digitally owned games, If I own a game on disc why should I have to pay again to own it in the cloud?
This was the whole purpose for the PS Now, to have access to your old games and one of the reason why backwards compatibility wasn't included. Hopefully they will figure out a way to do it this way. But right now it doesn't matter if you own the game or not. You pay a monthly fee and you have access to hundreds of games. You can play any game in the library rather you own it or not. If a game you own is not in the library, you can't play it.

Quote:
Granted, but the discs don't have any kind of unique ID so how do you prove you legitimately own the game?
Actually the cases do. Look on the ends down at the bottom. You'll see 4 letters and a string of numbers. Every game as a unique string of letters and numbers. But right now this is a moot point because the way they are saying, as long as the game is in their digital library then you can play it rather you own it or not.

Quote:
Sorry but digital purchases are in the same boat as hard copies. Right now, digital purchases don't carry over to generational changes and aren't taken into account by streaming services either. Other than a different choice in ways to store the game, it's treated the same in every practical matter.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #1115
Devryn17
Suffers Fools Poorly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
It should be noted that right now it is only PS4 and select PS3 games. Also at launch it will only be available on the PS3 but PS4 support and select Sony Bravia TV's will soon follow. Vita, tablet's and PC support will come eventually.

This was the whole purpose for the PS Now, to have access to your old games and one of the reason why backwards compatibility wasn't included. Hopefully they will figure out a way to do it this way. But right now it doesn't matter if you own the game or not. You pay a monthly fee and you have access to hundreds of games. You can play any game in the library rather you own it or not. If a game you own is not in the library, you can't play it.

Actually the cases do. Look on the ends down at the bottom. You'll see 4 letters and a string of numbers. Every game as a unique string of letters and numbers. But right now this is a moot point because the way they are saying, as long as the game is in their digital library then you can play it rather you own it or not.

Sorry but digital purchases are in the same boat as hard copies. Right now, digital purchases don't carry over to generational changes and aren't taken into account by streaming services either. Other than a different choice in ways to store the game, it's treated the same in every practical matter.
If it's just a monthly fee that gives me access to free games, that's great. I'd be curious as to how that "service" compares to the PS Plus Service, since I get the same thing, but in a different way.

My understanding is that its coming to PS4, Vita, and Bravia TVs first. The only games that will be available will be PS3 games, at first.

I think you're incorrect in several key areas about owning digital games too. For instance, PS1 games I purchased digitally can be played on my PSP, PS Vita, and PS3. In many cases, PS Vita games that are on both systems are "Cross-Buy." In some cases as well, PS3 games purchased on PS3 for PS3 consumption have been made available on PS4 without an additional purchase (Flow and Flower for instance).

Old 01-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #1116
MikeMoach

Quote:
If it's just a monthly fee that gives me access to free games, that's great. I'd be curious as to how that "service" compares to the PS Plus Service, since I get the same thing, but in a different way.

My understanding is that its coming to PS4, Vita, and Bravia TVs first. The only games that will be available will be PS3 games, at first.

I think you're incorrect in several key areas about owning digital games too. For instance, PS1 games I purchased digitally can be played on my PSP, PS Vita, and PS3. In many cases, PS Vita games that are on both systems are "Cross-Buy." In some cases as well, PS3 games purchased on PS3 for PS3 consumption have been made available on PS4 without an additional purchase (Flow and Flower for instance).

I think things will change now with the instant games free, cause if I pay a fee and play anything without downloads wherever I want, why download it to a console?

Plus the have us on the hook we need ps+ To play ps4 online and now this ps now to get the games
Old 01-08-2014, 05:59 PM   #1117
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Everything is done via the cloud and streaming. Right now if I want to play cross play games, I have to install the game on the different devices and use the cross save feature when I want to change. Also remember the service will eventually come to PCs, tablets, and possibly smart phones. Something you can't do with PS+.

Quote:
Open beta starts at the end of Jan and is PS3 only. PS4 and Bravia TV's are to come this summer and Vita and other devices are slated "eventually". It will have select PS3 and PS4 games at first. During the announcement, it was said that if you own a PS4, this service is the only way you will be able to play PS4 games on the PS3.

Quote:
In many cases, PS Vita games that are on both systems are "Cross-Buy." In some cases as well, PS3 games purchased on PS3 for PS3 consumption have been made available on PS4 without an additional purchase (Flow and Flower for instance).
What you're talking about is really a rarity. Of the games I've bought that are sold on both the Vita and PS3, only 2 came with cross buy. Since Sony is forcing the devs to make all games support the Vita, this may change. But this is straying off of the pro's and con's of buying digital that you originally replied to.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:48 PM   #1118
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
Quote:
You're focusing on the hardware division only. I'm done with this discussion.
aww thats dumb...i love a good debate. Even with software they are in the hole....anyways...on to playstation now.

They most certainly have the ability to give you the digital version at a discount. But the hit they would take is stupid high. They did it with the upgrade system they had for launch titles that were multiplatform
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #1119
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
One thing that bothers me is how people hated the idea of cloud computing on the X1 but cloud gaming by streaming is ok? Im curious how the latency will play into the grand scheme of things. Also if I get a PS3 game would it allow me to play on the PS3 servers essentially making it multiplatform. I can only assume so if the cloud is doing all the computing and just streaming the game to you
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:59 PM   #1120
MikeMoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaytalsCamaro View Post
One thing that bothers me is how people hated the idea of cloud computing on the X1 but cloud gaming by streaming is ok? Im curious how the latency will play into the grand scheme of things. Also if I get a PS3 game would it allow me to play on the PS3 servers essentially making it multiplatform. I can only assume so if the cloud is doing all the computing and just streaming the game to you
Someone on the playstation blog had a hands on and said there was very little latency and forgot it was cloud streaming

Also said it had a little video problems but nothing that will be of significance