The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #85
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
Get your ass to a gym....
There ya go.lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
I totally understand the logic here. Here's the rub. You can't give up EVERYTHNG! Okay so now for me, NO gluten, no hydrogenated oil, limit saturated fat, no added food colorings, chemical preservatives, no chemical additives; It would be nice to avoid meats from animals fed steroids & antibiotics but that is pretty hard currently. No added potassium (naturally occurring is fine), limit salt, limit simple carbs,...........I'm sure I'm forgetting some but you get the picture. To totally eliminate sugar would mean no fruit, no tomatos, no carrots (and a number of other vegetables), no corn, again, I'm sure I am leaving out a number of otherwise healthy foods with naturally occurring sugars. I just don't see giving up sugar totally as being a practical or healthy alternative. Foods with naturally occurring sugars have way too many other health benefits to make giving them upowO. And foods need to be tasty & satisfying if you are going to stick to healthy eating as a lifestyle. I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams eating oatmeal without something sweet in it. That would simply be repulsive to me.

Okay, blast away.
I, nor anyone else has ever said to completely give up any food group but you must eat smart. You, of all people should know better. You have a book I gave you, have you ever read it?

If you eat smart you can have the foods you like, to some extent. For example, take oatmeal, who ever said to eat it plain, evev I wouldn't do that. Lol. If you have your oatmeal and add strawberries, blueberries, bananas, raisins or any other fruit you desire, you are taking a low glycemic food(oatmeal) and adding it to a higher glycemic food(fruit) and making it a moderately glycemic meal, now if you add a little cinimon to further control insulin spikes you are golden. You have just eaten fruit in a way that you reek the benefits but not the negatives.

If you don't add sweeteners to your foods your tastes WILL change, then when you grab that ripe peach, nectorine, plum or other piece of fruit it will taste so sweet and become your "treat" instead of some other unhealthy alternative.

You have to look at the big picture, when some of us say avoid sugar it is over simplifying but in essence correct. There is no way you can do it as there are naturally occuring sugars in many foods that you should be eating but when you add them all up the amount you consume in a day is staggering. You have to EAT SMART.

You are gluten sensative so you buy products because the label says gluten free but I doubt you realize that many of the choices you make are unhealthy, read the ingredients, gluten is a sticky protein found in wheat, when it is removed from foods something has to be added as a binder, often unhealthy ingredients or CHEMICALS, you can eat a gluten free diet but again read the ingredients and eat smart.

If you don't make changes how do you expect things to change. You have control over what you put in your body but just like going to the gym it requires some effort, how much effort you put into it will determine the results that come from it.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:57 AM   #86
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
If you don't make changes how do you expect things to change. You have control over what you put in your body but just like going to the gym it requires some effort, how much effort you put into it will determine the results that come from it.
But but but but but but but but

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #87
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
A lot of truth there and I own that. I know the "excuses" are not impossible to overcome, It can be done. I just have to figure it out, make a plan & execute. It is just not as easy as all that. But It will happen.

But there IS more to life than fitness. And life is complicated sometimes. I know part of it is that I am teetering on the verge of depression right now. I'm just not happy with the situation most of which I cannot change. I have lost much of my
social support (my mother, my kids, my exercize class friends, my work friends, etc). My MCCC friends & C5 are what I have left for social support and, perhaps I could spend a little less time on C5 but I NEED what is left of my social support system. The therapist in me knows I have to take care of both my physical health & my emotional/psychological health. I did exercize this morning during some of the time I might have otherwise been surfing C5 & have been doing that more lately. MCCC activities also push me to stay active. I detailed Ruby while I was at the cruise-in last evening. That was exercize. It takes a lot of physical activity to do a serious job of hand washing & detailing these huge cars! That IS exercize. And I am very OCD about it, everything, wheels, wheel wells, engine bay, trunk, undercarrage, cleaner wax, wax, glass sealer, detailer............the whole nine yards. Without the events I would not do all that.

You guys keep pushing & I will keep working on getting myself into a new routine!
I didn't address this post....

You own it? You can only be truly accountable when you decide to change. Make a plan? Execute? Horseshit....make the correct choices with food and put them in your mouth, drink water.....go to the gym, sign up, and go train with free weights. There's your plan...now execute it.

You act like you are the only one that has battles...Over 2 years ago the woman I thought I'd be with forever decided she wanted to do her own thing. Devestated....many a days a stared at a bottle of valium and thought how easy it would be....take the whole bottle and don't wake up. Know what business I am in? The diamond and jewelry business. How do you think I handled that? Dealing with people "in love" on a daily basis while my life is turned upside down. Son lost his baseball scholarship because he injured his arm. 3 months later Tracie (my ex) was diagnosed with breast cancer. She beat it. 9 months ago it returned in her lungs....stage IV. EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN ISSUES....STOP EMPOWERING THEM TO BE THE EXCUSE WHY YOU DON'T MAKE THE CHANGES TO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF.

Yeah you are the only one in the world who is OCD about cleaning their camaro. Did you read my detail thread? Along the lines, if you think washing, waxing, detailing a car is "exercise" you need to redefine your definition of "exercise".

You will never get the best benefits from "outside support" until you make the choice to support yourself.

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 08-29-2014, 11:44 AM   #88
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
CFD, yeah, I read the book & still have it handy. It is helpful. Some of those recipes are great. Others are very bland, have poor texture or are just not appealing. The placement of your post about sugars just made it sound like you were saying not to add bananas or fruit to things like oatmeal & just get used to it. I do read ingredient lists & cook from scratch when I can but in the real world there are times when you just need to have something you can grab & go with when life just does not leave time to cook everything from scratch. Sometimes that leaves choosing the lesser of the evils. There are getting to be more & more gluten free options out there to choose from but few that are perfectly balanced & good in every way.

Mydivorcegift: No I never said I was the only one with struggles. I of all people know given the struggles of others most of us would choose our own set over those of many of the folks around us. I am simply currently struggling to adjust to the ones I am currently facing. I never said detailing my car was a substitute for having a
routine exercize plan. Just that it is using your muscles, burning calories & beats the heck out of siting on the couch. I'll figure it out.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:59 PM   #89
CFD

Quote:
CFD, yeah, I read the book & still have it handy. It is helpful. Some of those recipes are great. Others are very bland, have poor texture or are just not appealing. The placement of your post about sugars just made it sound like you were saying not to add bananas or fruit to things like oatmeal & just get used to it. I do read ingredient lists & cook from scratch when I can but in the real world there are times when you just need to have something you can grab & go with when life just does not leave time to cook everything from scratch. Sometimes that leaves choosing the lesser of the evils. There are getting to be more & more gluten free options out there to choose from but few that are perfectly balanced & good in every way.

Mydivorcegift: No I never said I was the only one with struggles. I of all people know given the struggles of others most of us would choose our own set over those of many of the folks around us. I am simply currently struggling to adjust to the ones I am currently facing. I never said detailing my car was a substitute for having a
routine exercize plan. Just that it is using your muscles, burning calories & beats the heck out of siting on the couch. I'll figure it out.
The recipes are the least valuable part of the book, the way that meals should be constructed, macro's, nutrient timing etc are much more important. There are thousands upon thousands of recipes on the net that are perfectly healthy and balanced, many, many gluten free ones as well.

Listen, I'm a single dad, owner/operator of CFD, which by the way is primarily a motorcycle shop so you can imagine my work load this time of year, have had many life changing injuries, in the process of selling my house and renovating the one I'm moving back into, frequent this forum to assist others in these threads as well as the threads for my products and I still eat right and MAKE the time to workout. I've been out of the gym in full capacity for several months now because of a shoulder injury, last week was my first week back and I blew it out again, got another shot two days ago and was told not to workout for 3-4 weeks to make sure it just wasn't healed rather than something that requires repairs, I could use that for an excuse not to hit the gym, God knows I could use the rest and time but I don't, I still have legs and an elliptical, which by the way I hate using more than you can imagine, so I work my lower body and do HIIT, why, because I have made it a priority in my life, I haven't been to one car show all summer, not one cruise, not one day off because I don't have time but I still workout, why, because I make it a priority, I use the time I have smartly, I don't watch much tv mostly the nightly news so rather than sit on my ass watching it I hop on the elliptical and watch it while breaking a sweat, I find ways to make the time. The same thing with meals, when I cook dinner I cook extra, freeze it, and grab one on the go rather than make poor choices, There are times when I eat out and even fast food places but I still make healthy choices, there are times where I'm not prepared or on the road so I'm stuck, so I might grab a quick protein bar, a small bag of nuts, a serving of yogurt or cottage cheese, a piece of fruit, something to hold me over, I don't grab candy bars, pre packages junk, why, because I've made it a priority. You have many choices to make, the bad ones are easy, the good ones, not so much. The choices are yours to make, excuses are just a way to TRY to justify those bad choices.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:02 PM   #90
RubyCamaro
Jan

Okay, Okay. I had my oatmeal concoction this morning, ate a couple of my cookies (yeay, those) mid morning, had a very healthy serving of home cooked chicken breast with red & green peppers & onions over quinoa for lunch then just got back from going over to the civic center. I talked with the activities director who I have known for years. She gave me some more ideas of workout options to call & check on. I will join the center's monthly program to use the track & weight room at least for now. I can usually make it back to The Center by 30-45 min before they close Mon-Th so I can get in at least a few min. Then on Fridays I can do more. While there I did 25 min on the track (run, walk, jog) and 20 min in the weight room before I had to get back for my next client. I will call about the options she gave me & see if any of them can be worked into my schedule.

Better???????
Old 08-29-2014, 09:00 PM   #91
RubyCamaro
Jan

After work I went by a little local gym and talked to a guy about what they have going on. This weekend I will decide if I will:

1) Pay the fee at The Center to use the track & their little exercise/weight room but; their classes I can't make it home in time for their classes. They have a guy that does a boot camp kind of thing that may start doing small group personal training sessions & just stay observant for what else might get started.

or

2) Join the local gym that has a nice weight room is open 24 hours a day and some classes I can actually make it to.

or

3) Join the YMCA. Typical Y.

At this point I am leaning toward the little gym. Seems more like my kind of place/people than the Y. More options that work for me Than the Center. Decision time now.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:30 PM   #92
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
After work I went by a little local gym and talked to a guy about what they have going on. This weekend I will decide if I will:

1) Pay the fee at The Center to use the track & their little exercise/weight room but; their classes I can't make it home in time for their classes. They have a guy that does a boot camp kind of thing that may start doing small group personal training sessions & just stay observant for what else might get started.

or

2) Join the local gym that has a nice weight room is open 24 hours a day and some classes I can actually make it to.

or

3) Join the YMCA. Typical Y.

At this point I am leaning toward the little gym. Seems more like my kind of place/people than the Y. More options that work for me Than the Center. Decision time now.
Option 2 and spend more time in the weight room than in "classes"....

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 08-29-2014, 10:32 PM   #93
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

And if you do it I will come over for a day....maybe bring Monique too depending on her schedule.

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 08-29-2014, 11:04 PM   #94
RubyCamaro
Jan

That would be cool. I will need to learn about all the new machines & it has been a long time since I have used any free weights other than dumb bells.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:18 AM   #95
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
And if you do it I will come over for a day....maybe bring Monique too depending on her schedule.
Quote:
That would be cool. I will need to learn about all the new machines & it has been a long time since I have used any free weights other than dumb bells.
There is an offer I would not pass up if I were you!!!
Old 08-30-2014, 09:10 AM   #96
RubyCamaro
Jan

Breakfast of 2 scrambled eggs with green pepper & onions. My only weekend treat to myself was a little bit of cheese sprinkled on top. Having my coffee with powdered milk & cocoa powder & water. Today's plan is to wax Ruby and some house chores. Then depending on the timing of intermittent rain I will either do some walk/run laps outside on my street and some weights work or just some floor exercises & weights if I can't get outside.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:23 AM   #97
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
We will not be doing "machines"....there may be a few depending on what the gym has to offer but we will spend our time with free weights teaching form, execution, and reasons to do said exercise.

It's something we will need to devote 3-4 hours for (plus our drive time) so it will need to be planned in advance a little.

That's provided you choose option 2....

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 08-30-2014, 10:10 AM   #98
RubyCamaro
Jan

I think Option 2 will be it. Yeah, for me planning will be key also. If we are looking for week day, Friday would be easiest for me. If a weekend, just finding a weekend day that there is not a major planned event for either of us. I need help developing the right combination of lifts/moves to get me where I need to be, knowing how to make changes to it as I progress & preventing injury (as much as possible).

My problem issues are: First, that I have had surgery X3 on my left wrist for ganglion cysts. It was many years ago and not involving the structure of the wrist but that left wrist is pretty weak.

Second, I have had 2 cesarean section deliveries (the last 21 years ago so again well healed) but the first one was emergency so it is a vertical incision from navel all the way down. Which means that everything from outer skin, through muscles through the outer wall of the uterus was severed & are now joined by shared scar tissue. My abs are strong, I can do endless numbers of crunches without giving out, but due to the scar there are pooches on either side of the scar that I want to minimize. I suspect I need some changes to how I train my abs as I often have lower back pain (worsened by standing for even a few minutes but especially for long times) that tends to improve some with stretches & ab work. And I have a problem with pooching my tummy out when I am at ease which looks awful though when I consciously pull my abs in, HUGE difference (greater than normal) and that is upper abs. I try to keep them pulled in but every car show I go to I get caught in a pic with that big round tummy showing.

The 3rd area of caution is a history of knee injuries. I have had breaks to both knees one of which was quite serious. There was a huge chip out of my knee right where a key tendon attaches. I was told in the ER that at any time in my life it could just let go. I feel twinges of pain occasionally in both knees when working out. I have discovered that it helps to wear Bicep bands on my knees (I observed female basketball players doing this).

Everything else is strong.