The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-08-2017, 11:04 PM   #8457
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
DO NOT TRY TO TAKE AMMO THROUGH THE TSA CHECKPOINT. IT MUST BE IN CHECKED LUGGAGE.

Also, print out that airline's rules about firearms and ammo and take with you. The employees might not be in the know but you'll be able to show them.

Here is what the TSA says:
Ammunition
Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm.

49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
(8) Small arms ammunition for personal use carried by a crewmember or passenger in checked baggage only, if securely packed in boxes or other packagings specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. Ammunition clips and magazines must also be securely boxed. This paragraph does not apply to persons traveling under the provisions of 49 CFR 1544.219.

Basically, leave it in the box you bought it in or get a different factory ammo box.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:23 AM   #8458
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
Should I check my pistol in as checked baggage just in the gun case it shipped with, or should I put that cased pistol inside another piece of luggage?

I am going on a one way to pick up my car, so I don't really need luggage, just not sure I trust a small pistol case that is clearly a pistol with the baggage department.

Advice appreciated.
What I do when I travel is put it in a suitcase. Read your air carriers policies. Usually they want you to be the only one who can unlock your gun case. The locks on your handgun case should be just to a key you have on you. I use pelican cases with dual locks. Then I use an odd color zip ties on my luggage. Usually the same color but something not easily found. Black is easy to reproduce. Also you should store your ammo in a box separate of the hand gun case. I Usually just use the ammo boxes they come in. The card board is fine. Just needs to be contained and does not have to be locked up.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:37 AM   #8459
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenring View Post
If the 1911 is for a range gun and not specifically for Carry be sure to get an all steel one.
Thanks for confirming my own thoughts, aluminum somehow just doesn't sound quite as durable or as rigid even though it would be entirely appropriate for some purposes. If this ultimately gets me to pick up some light free weights again, I guess that'll be a good thing.

Quote:
Norm, for the price the Springfield RO in either 9mm or .45 is very hard to beat. I have the stainless in 9mm and it is a very solid shooter. Also if there was ever an issue with it, Springfield will pay shipping both ways to correct it. I use Tripp Cobra mags or Dawson Precision, good mags are a must have with any 1911.
I think I've reached a decision here. Now to deal with the 5-sheets of administrative crap that's required . . . I did pick that up yesterday.

Norm
Old 03-09-2017, 09:28 AM   #8460
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
DO NOT TRY TO TAKE AMMO THROUGH THE TSA CHECKPOINT. IT MUST BE IN CHECKED LUGGAGE.

Also, print out that airline's rules about firearms and ammo and take with you. The employees might not be in the know but you'll be able to show them.

Here is what the TSA says:
Ammunition
Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm.

49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
(8) Small arms ammunition for personal use carried by a crewmember or passenger in checked baggage only, if securely packed in boxes or other packagings specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. Ammunition clips and magazines must also be securely boxed. This paragraph does not apply to persons traveling under the provisions of 49 CFR 1544.219.

Basically, leave it in the box you bought it in or get a different factory ammo box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingagain View Post
What I do when I travel is put it in a suitcase. Read your air carriers policies. Usually they want you to be the only one who can unlock your gun case. The locks on your handgun case should be just to a key you have on you. I use pelican cases with dual locks. Then I use an odd color zip ties on my luggage. Usually the same color but something not easily found. Black is easy to reproduce. Also you should store your ammo in a box separate of the hand gun case. I Usually just use the ammo boxes they come in. The card board is fine. Just needs to be contained and does not have to be locked up.
great info - thank you.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:48 PM   #8461
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Not sure if Springfield is releasing a new rifle "Night of the Saint" or if I am just missing the clue?
But there are some hotties in the video

https://www.defendyourlegacy.com/NOT..._hsmi=44862972

Last edited by Tenring; 03-14-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:44 PM   #8462
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
They did release a new gun. They got into the AR market and this is their marketing to get the name out. It is a competition to see who wins.

The hype leading up to them releasing the new gun was marketed well. The day they released it was going to be an AR I was bummed and disappointed I played into the hype. Every one has AR's. Wanted to see something new like the Fostech Origin. Maybe a new style or something other than we are getting into AR's I guess.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:28 PM   #8463
Tenring

Yes - I remember the hype and new Saint AR.....was not sure if this was a different one. Just marketing, got it.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #8464
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
So... I bought some .50 bmg AP reloads from a local dude. Figured I'd be okay since he's local. Sat on the ammo for awhile, finally shot a round. It hanged a bit in the chamber while loading, but not too bad. Fired the round and there was no sign of impact anywhere! The rifle was sighted in with LC M33 ammo, was shooting well under 2moa at 200 yds easy, so I should have at least seen an impact in the dirt back stop!

Afterwards the bolt was frozen closed. I used a lead hammer to get it unlocked, but the bolt handle has a shear pin for these circumstances to keep from wrecking the bolt handle. I lubed the bolt and barrel with penetrating oil, and tapped the bolt open through the barrel with a 3/8" steel rod, it dropped back surprisingly easy compared to the pressure I put on the bolt.

All this happened about a year ago. Just recently I opened a can of the ammo to mic it and the sweet smell was really strong! (I don't think the dude resized the brass, and used old powder.)

I know old powder can create higher pressures and dangerous rounds, does anyone know why the rounds were way off the paper? I'm talking WAY off! That round was fired within 75 yds with a sighted rifle. The back stop is a 5 ft high pond dam, if it shot low it would hit water, if it shot high it would have shook the tree branches. Nope.

I don't have neighbors within a mile in that direction, but since the .50 is still a wrecking ball at 5,000 ft. it spooked me.....
Old 03-17-2017, 09:10 PM   #8465
Tenring

Wow, I never trust anyone's reloads........... had not heard powder could create high pressures with age.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:16 PM   #8466
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenring View Post
Wow, I never trust anyone's reloads........... had not heard powder could create high pressures with age.
Yeah, it was a first for me. And a last. I mainly got it for the AP bullets. I would have been better off hunting down AP pulls. Hindsight.

The problem with .50 is it takes the big press and I don't shoot it enough to justify that purchase.

I've heard older powder not stored properly puts off a strong odor and can give higher pressures. If that isn't true I'll feel much better and can check that off the list of reasons why that round didn't fly straight..
Old 03-17-2017, 10:37 PM   #8467
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
To me I detect an ammonia smell when I open a can of bad powder. It will also have a rusty, red dustiness to it. And have seen the inside of metal cans corroded as well. I have never heard of bad powder exhibiting higher pressures with a safe/proper charge.

Wonder if You couldn't just find someone to pull the ammo down, toss the powder, resize, recharge and reseat the original bullets? Someone maybe on one of the fifty cal forums? I'm not set up for fifty, or I'd help You out. Largest rd I load is the .416 Rigby.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:00 PM   #8468
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank237 View Post
To me I detect an ammonia smell when I open a can of bad powder. It will also have a rusty, red dustiness to it. And have seen the inside of metal cans corroded as well. I have never heard of bad powder exhibiting higher pressures with a safe/proper charge.

Wonder if You couldn't just find someone to pull the ammo down, toss the powder, resize, recharge and reseat the original bullets? Someone maybe on one of the fifty cal forums? I'm not set up for fifty, or I'd help You out. Largest rd I load is the .416 Rigby.
Thanks for the consideration... I'll probably eventually break down and get the press and die set, when rounds are pushing the $5.00 range, it can pay for itself pretty quick! Even though, my last buy I picked up some 2016 fresh LC M33 for $320 per 100 shipped.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:07 AM   #8469
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Gun powder does deteriorate in the can and even in the casing, which is why we don't shoot a round that's been sitting around for 10-15 years. When gun powder deteriorates, the flash point becomes lower making it unstable and will create very high pressure when used.

The "sweet" smell you described is a 100% sure sign the powder is old and beyond it's usage. When gunpowder first begins to deteriorate it will give off an ammonia smell, at this point some say it can still be used if used at lower charges but it's best to throw it out. If left untouched and allowed to further deteriorate, gunpowder will then start giving off a sweet smell. At this point it is 100% not safe to use and is best to be used as fertilizer.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:19 AM   #8470
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Gun powder does deteriorate in the can and even in the casing, which is why we don't shoot a round that's been sitting around for 10-15 years. When gun powder deteriorates, the flash point becomes lower making it unstable and will create very high pressure when used.

The "sweet" smell you described is a 100% sure sign the powder is old and beyond it's usage. When gunpowder first begins to deteriorate it will give off an ammonia smell, at this point some say it can still be used if used at lower charges but it's best to throw it out. If left untouched and allowed to further deteriorate, gunpowder will then start giving off a sweet smell. At this point it is 100% not safe to use and is best to be used as fertilizer.
Yeah something caused that round to bind the bolt closed. I mic'd other rounds from that batch, they're in spec but tight in the chamber.

During firing, it was like a magic trick, the bullet just disappeared! Checked for squib, nope, barrel clear.

After firing, the bolt is bound up. I've never had an excessive pressure problem before, but some say that's a sign. BUT, the primer appeared normal and the brass wasn't distorted.

.... I dunno

Tags
camaro gun