The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-19-2023, 07:50 AM   #71
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
He isn't right, especially about the last point, but not completely wrong either. A big chunk of the contemporary male population does indeed behave like that.
There will always be people that fall into that narrative. Guys and Gals... But he said "most guys" what 2 or 3 times in his post. Maybe it depends on who your circle of friends and family are as to what you see and what your experiences are. I'm not sure about you, but my circle of friends and family do not fall into that narrative. So I can't say "Most Guys" by any stretch...

Last edited by jamala00; 07-19-2023 at 08:05 AM.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 08:15 AM   #72
CamaroRSOnt

Drives: 2023 SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post

Most guys are sell outs - They'll openly complain about the government, really knowing it's been bought by social engineer A-holes. But when the chance comes to pad that establishment-funding IRA comes, they'll be there. When those social engineers dangle that tax rebate to buy the EV. They'll come around to that also.

...Tell me I'm wrong.

Most guys buy pickups and still do. GM, Stellantis, Ford pickups are always the top selling vehicles in North America, that's how they can afford to lose so much on their EV's. Ford lost an average $58k on each EV they sold last year, at total of $3 billion. On the other hand the Ford F150 is the most popular vehicle in North America, that with no gov't subsidy...

Ford Motor reported sales of its F-Series, which includes the F-150 pickup and its larger siblings, surpassed 640,000 trucks last year – making it America’s bestselling truck for 46 consecutive years and bestselling vehicle for 41 years.

Facts matter. EV's have been on the market since 2012, heavily subsidized and they own about 6% of the U.S. market.

Hybrids would have been a much better choice for the gov't to focus on but their the gov't, dumb as a bag of hammers. Don't worry though the gov't is coming to the rescue now buying battery plants for the U.S. automotive industry, by time they are done about $200 billion flushed down the toilet. Now the subsidies are not just when you buy them new at retail, you can get a rebate for a used EV, the subsidies at the battery plants just add to the wasted taxpayer dollars. Those plants will make Solyndra look like childs play.

Used EV's were the biggest loser in the the secondary auto market last year. people don't want a used EV even with the subsidies now:
Attached Images

2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible
CamaroRSOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 10:47 AM   #73
Camby

Drives: 2023/2SS/1LE/RadiantRed/A10
Look up “extrapolate”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2023, 11:17 AM   #74
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
When the Y shows up on that list, it may be time to short TSLA. I'd love to, but many get burned.
Their growth narrative will probably continue at least until the Cybertruck's 2nd year. It's next new vehicle may have to flop before they come back to earth. 'Fake it til you make it' investment dollars don't always blow up as a Ponzi, even if it deserved to.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 11:45 AM   #75
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
When the Y shows up on that list, it may be time to short TSLA. I'd love to, but many get burned.
Their growth narrative will probably continue at least until the Cybertruck's 2nd year. It's next new vehicle may have to flop before they come back to earth. 'Fake it til you make it' investment dollars don't always blow up as a Ponzi, even if it deserved to.
Infinite downside risk to a short.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 11:51 AM   #76
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
I honestly and truly believe that in 15-20 years, maybe sooner, people will come to the conclusion that this "climate change" alarmism was all a bunch of BS and greatly overblown. And forcing people to buy a much more expensive mode of transportation, with no soul or enjoyment, is ridiculous. I have yet to see A SINGLE charging station anywhere in Montana and the surrounding states. And these idiots want us all driving electric cars in less than 10 years? And what, it will take me a month to visit my family on the East Coast since I have to plan a hundred stops? Nope, not for me, never.
MT-SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 12:12 PM   #77
Junction65

Drives: 2011 GMC Sierra 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-SS1LE View Post
I honestly and truly believe that in 15-20 years, maybe sooner, people will come to the conclusion that this "climate change" alarmism was all a bunch of BS and greatly overblown. And forcing people to buy a much more expensive mode of transportation, with no soul or enjoyment, is ridiculous.
Just note that the first "Earth Day" was held on April 22 1970. The climate grift is too lucrative for those involved hence the constant barrage of propaganda. It therefore cannot allow common sense, reason and logic to disrupt it.

If you ever doubt the effectiveness of their effort just remember when you dump your ICE Camaro for that EV..."your grandkids will thank you"
Current mileage: 313
Junction65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 12:22 PM   #78
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
There will always be people that fall into that narrative. Guys and Gals... But he said "most guys" what 2 or 3 times in his post. Maybe it depends on who your circle of friends and family are as to what you see and what your experiences are. I'm not sure about you, but my circle of friends and family do not fall into that narrative. So I can't say "Most Guys" by any stretch...
^^
Nailed It!
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 01:15 PM   #79
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
Infinite downside risk to a short.
One part of rejecting the culture shift is, I won't be using slack time at work to scour for trade opportunities. I've yet to really read up on spreads.

Investing isn't my biggest focus. Though I know some strategic metals are a small enough supply, it wouldn't take too much retail investing interest to dick with the EV market, before hoping for a crash.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 01:28 PM   #80
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
I do not think an EV is in the cards Camaro or not regardless if I wanted one or not. (I don't) Wife and I have a high chance of relocating to the New England area to as Far North as Portland Maine or Providence RI, New London or Hartford CT area. Gets too cold there for an EV and range will be drastically reduced especially in Maine.

The second thing in three years we are looking at a truck and even if the range towing was not crap and equal or better to a diesel or a gas, (Diesel and Gas can tow way farther third party testers have proven this like TFL on youtube) I managed to build a 2500 for cheaper than a EV 1500 series truck. There is no point even getting an EV in any truck. In fact there are EV cars that are near the price of 2500s as well.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 03:25 PM   #81
Alan47717

Drives: 2022 1LT RS 2.0t/6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-SS1LE View Post
I honestly and truly believe that in 15-20 years, maybe sooner, people will come to the conclusion that this "climate change" alarmism was all a bunch of BS and greatly overblown. And forcing people to buy a much more expensive mode of transportation, with no soul or enjoyment, is ridiculous. I have yet to see A SINGLE charging station anywhere in Montana and the surrounding states. And these idiots want us all driving electric cars in less than 10 years? And what, it will take me a month to visit my family on the East Coast since I have to plan a hundred stops? Nope, not for me, never.
If you have lived in the SW for the past fifteen years or so you might not feel that way. I do agree that EV's are not any kind of silver bullet solution. Replacing ICE with EV is like going elephant hunting with a BB gun as long we keep on doing what we're doing otherwise (population growth, replacing trees with concrete, etc.).

Within 3/4 of a mile of where I live, 5 productive fields of farmland (cotton and soybeans mostly) are being turned into subdivisions. Absolute insanity.
Alan47717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 03:40 PM   #82
plus1zero
Don't tread on me

Drives: 23 Sierra X31, Past 2017 Fifty 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
You're wrong. I'm not sure if you are simply reflecting on yourself or what, but this has got to rank up there as one of the dumbest posts I've read on this forum.
Eh he's not wrong. A lot of guys are like that. But a lot of guys aren't tech worshippers anymore too. I was big into tech back in the early 2010s when it was advancing more quickly in smart phones/tablets/laptops etc. but nowadays it's all about ad revenue and user data, I shy away from it. It doesn't help that I work in tech, so I'll sell it all day even if I don't indulge myself in it.

That said, no EV for me. My wife probably hates EVs more than I do, so there won't be any pushing to get it on that side. I wouldn't mind EVs if they were complementary vehicles to ICE, but I don't like them being pushed to replace them when the current infrastructure can't even handle them.

I saw a YouTube short recently on some $100K+ EV that you couldn't open the hood. It had one little place you could use to replace your wiper fluid. Cars will go the way smartphones and laptops are now, not being able to open or replace anything.
plus1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 05:00 PM   #83
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
I got passed by a new Hemi Challenger Scat Pack on the interstate today. The owner put 5 letters on his license plate that say it all: “LOL EV.”
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 05:08 PM   #84
Mike818

Drives: 5.0 Fox, Lancer Evos (8,X),23 ZLE?
https://pessimistsarchive.org/

"Pessimists Archive is a project to jog our collective memories about the hysteria, technophobia and moral panic that often greets new technologies, ideas and trends."

People don't change.
Mike818 is offline   Reply With Quote