Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-10-2016, 07:33 AM   #57
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Here's how this works. The government is trying to control every aspect of your life. They try to pass a law and if they can't get enough support they will launch their propaganda machine (the press) to whip people into a frenzy about a problem that either a) doesn't exist or b) doesn't effect you in any way. Since people loved to be outraged about stupid sh** that is none of their business this approach eventually works. Problem is words on paper can't stop people from doing what they want so the cycle continues with more and more laws. God bless America.
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:02 AM   #58
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by backeddy View Post
Anyone who thinks this will go "nowhere" is a moron......ask us here in ca how "friendly" all of this bs is....... You don't think think they will show up at spec races and seize your car huh? you are a special kind of DUMB. It is not uncommon for the police in very liberal areas (santa cruz) of CA to set up check points to visually check your car for mods.....they tow them and now you are fcked. call your congressmen please!
I just recently visited my father and drove out to Cali (Orange County) back in August for 3 weeks.

California SUCKS, the gas prices are terrible, I5 highway SUCKS, 65 mph speed limit... REALLY? Sorry, I'm used to it being 75 on average over here in TEXAS.

Emission laws suck, the highway patrol are total jerks, the traffic is just horrible, everyone drives like a Grandma over there in there Teslas... I can go on and on and on about how bad California is.

So like everyone else said, just because your state sucks, doesn't mean ours has to. Over here in the great state of Texas, none of the above applies.

"The rest of you can go to Hell, and I will go to Texas."
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:11 AM   #59
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
The biggest problem is that driving is a privilege and not a right. Ultimately that's going to be the factor that allows them to slowly erode your control over what you drive and how you drive. (what you own, where you live, how you live, what you eat, blah, blah, blah..)
They almost killed the manual transmission about a decade ago, but the muscle car resurgence pretty much single handedly saved it. In most vehicle line ups the V8 is becoming an expensive "option" if its available at all. Eventually it simply will not be offered, along with the manual transmission.
Our vehicles are cleaner than they have ever been historically and most reports state that cars are actually only responsible for 2% to 3% of a localities pollution.
Right now here in Utah, we're socked into a yuck inversion and our air looks like crap. Guess who's fault it is? Guess who they try to blame it on? Actually a large amount of our smog we're currently enjoying comes from China and Los Angeles. Another large portion of it is naturally occurring. Bring those up and they immediately retreat to "well smog is different from PM 2.5's which are emitted by vehicles". "oh look.. Superman!".
More misdirection but as long as the majority of John Q public believes that the government is actually doing everything in it's power to save you from yourself, they will continue to willingly hand over every last vestige of freedom and control.
The latest round of future requirements will take their toll on your V8, your fast car, and your choice of what to drive. Then the round after that will take even more, the round after that.. more....and so on..
The natural life cycle of a government structure is to continue to grow itself until it collapses under its own weight. Governments' answer to everything is "more". More laws, more regulation. Never less. Just look at the Nanny Countries like England to see where we're headed.
No guns, though criminals still have them. $12 a gallon (equivalent) gas for no reason. The gas tax was implemented in an attempt to stem driving. It didn't work, and they simply left it in place because.. hey.. money.
Knife registration, knives with points are currently being outlawed and chefs' have to register their cutlery.
Cricket bats are banned in public. Because, you know.. Stick.
Drape anything under the mantle of "safety" in any fashion and that's all the power they need.
The perfect example of the government train of thought is when they raise a tax.. because that tax hasn't been raised in like 15 years, so, you know.. It's just time to raise it.
When does it stop?

Rant off.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:13 AM   #60
norf

Drives: 2023 2LT RS
But what if you like clean air?
norf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:20 AM   #61
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gzobian View Post
What's the point? You defeat this, and then what? Many more will follow. It's an all out assault on anything and everything we enjoy and the American way of life in general. Eventually it will end with taxing driving so much that most of us won't be able to afford it. Electric, self driving pods are the future we have to look forward to.
I'll be the guy to mod the pod, lol
Old 02-10-2016, 09:12 AM   #62
alexlj92

Drives: 2014 Black 2SS
Everyone,

This is not legislation. it does not have to pass Congress. The EPA can unilaterally do this just like they have with power plant regulations and like the ATF has done with 41P gun regulations recently.

The only way getting congress to act to stop it is if they can get the president to sign whatever they pass to try to stop it, which isn't going to happen this year. Effectively the regulation could be in effect for quite awhile before it could be undone by either the courts or a new president. Essentially accomplishing the ATFs goal by running aftermarket businesses out of business in the meantime.

They've done the same thing with power plant emission regulations. They are taking the exact same approach here.

This is what happens when vague laws allow bureaucratic non-elected organizations to create regulations unilaterally.
alexlj92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:22 AM   #63
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
I'll be the guy to mod the pod, lol
LOL!! Stock pod racing! I'm in.
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:24 AM   #64
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
The public comments for this has already passed, they (EPA) will issue their final rule in July. Not much we can actually do now since the time for public comments to the proposal is past.

Everyone get ready to lean over that barrel... remember they are here to help us.

Pound and Sand comes to mind. Some Gov't agencies are drunk with power lately but that is another story.

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:45 AM   #65
2013 SS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS convertible
The problem is that the EPA thinks it already has it in there regulations. They will be clarifying that in July. The Epa does not need approval for this they can pretty much do what they want under there regulations about the same as all of Obama's executive actions
2013 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:53 AM   #66
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
I went and signed it. Better to be on the offensive then the defensive. We should fight to repeal some of the EPAs legislation. As far as California goes, it's a nice place but I would never want to live there. New York and Florida are right behind them with restrictions and attitudes. I lived in NY until 16 years ago, nice country but the city pulls that state down. I rarely go back and don't miss it, my relative tell me about all the new rules and restrictions for everything and it's common place there now. Sucks to live in NY !!! Glad I don't have to anymore.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:15 AM   #67
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang50lx View Post
The EPA is a job killing unnecessary branch of the federal government that needs to be defunded. Congress can defund them them, but never will. Congress is also pretty much full of a bunch of self serving scumbags who don't care one bit about this county. They (The EPA) are completely out of control and do as they wish with no consideration for for the for the financial damage they cause or the rights any American.
Pick one.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:22 AM   #68
RaceFuel

Drives: A boring sedan
The EPA is necessary...ever seen photos of Los Angeles from the 60's? Smog city.

However, this is nitpicking over-reach. We don't need to have it TOTALLY ELIMINATED or ULTIMATE CONTROL...there can be a healthy balance.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:35 AM   #69
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Ah February. You can always count on the groundhog shadow thing and the auto manu wanting to copyright their tunes.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:42 AM   #70
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon War Horse View Post
The public comments for this has already passed, they (EPA) will issue their final rule in July. Not much we can actually do now since the time for public comments to the proposal is past.

Everyone get ready to lean over that barrel... remember they are here to help us.

Pound and Sand comes to mind. Some Gov't agencies are drunk with power lately but that is another story.
From my understanding only the diesel portion of it has passed and not the entire proposal because they have added to it

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, epa, modding, petition, signature request