Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-25-2007, 10:59 AM   #57
85convertibleZ28
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro ss rs cgm M6
I like everything about the concept and I want the z/28 package so the only thing that would keep me from getting the car is the cost
85convertibleZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 02:55 PM   #58
SulphurDave

Drives: N/A
Coming from a guy like myself who has owned a few Acuras two being an Integra GS-R and a 06 RSX-S, I've had 4 Nissan trucks one being the 05 Crew Cab I just paid off and plan on keeping and I've had a 93 Mazda RX-7 TT. I've definitely preferred the "fit and finish" you get when you buy those types of vehicles. I've never really been impressed with the fit and finish of GM vehicles or most domestics for that matter. I hate to say it guys (ban me if you want... j/k hope not) but I haven't cared for any of the Camaro designs since the 69. The 70's and 80's designs were slow porkers made for mullet fan boys, the 90's went even further down hill with the wedge shape in my opinion. For those who have read my introduction thread should know why I carry a special place inside for the 69 Camaro. With all that said, the deal breaker for me would be like how others have mentioned it being a crappy plastic rattling toy. If the fit and finish impresses me than I'll be buying. I'm not worried about the price. I sold my RX-7 so I have my 25k back in the bank I had for a down payment on the Camaro. I don't see getting the car right when they come out due to price gouging, available options including paint/stripes and waiting to see what the top dog V8 will be because I won't accept anything less than the top of the line model. So I have a couple more years I'd imagine to save another 10-20k or whatever it takes to pay for the car with cash. No more car notes for me. I myself hope that the design stays more close to resembling the 69 because that's where my soul is. If that stays true and it impresses me as a solid vehicle with plenty of amenities then I'm sold. I would even be willing to fork over more $$$ to the dealer to have my car come from the factory with the exact paint scheme I want (Hugger Orange w/ Black Stripes) and a LS9!!!
Old 12-26-2007, 12:06 AM   #59
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Well fit and finish has improved dramatically at GM in the past few years, so give it a look. It might pleasantly surprise you. I agree, fit and finish is a big deal for me and if I don't perceive good quality, I may go elsewhere. I have faith that we'll be impressed.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:49 PM   #60
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
My likely only deal breaker would be the seat. Coming out of several Caddies in a row I am acustomed to a certain level of comfort. Actually the CTS was quite a step down for me in comfort from the STS so that may be my deal breaker if I can not go 6+ hours in the seat.
VTXrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:02 PM   #61
Cubanaso
Follower of CHRIST!

Drives: 2005 Mazda RX8
Price, of course! If they offer 2 V6's and only one V8 and call it the SS and price it at 30K I wont be buying it. Like someone else said, I'm looking for a V8 that at least matches the Mustang GT in both performance and price.

Also, safety...yeah I said it. I have to use it as my daily driver so if it gets horrid crash ratings or does not offer good safety systems (Air bangs all around, etc) I wont get it because before my love of cars comes my love for my son and driving him around in an unsafe (no matter how sexy and fast it is) car WONT HAPPEN.

Weight, 4000 pounds aint going to cut it for me.
Cheap interior
Uncomfortable seats
(please GM, use the GTO seats those are the best I've EVER sat in!!!!)

...did I say price and lack of V8 at Mustang GT level?
Old 12-27-2007, 10:11 PM   #62
stovt001

Agree on the seats. The seats in my Cobalt are just OK, but GM has some great seats in some of their cars, so they can do it if they want to.

As far as safety, no car gets horrible ratings anymore. In fact, its remarkable if one drops below 4 stars in just one category now. Remember, with airbags its not the number that matters, but the arrangement. And I'm sure it will have the usual traction control and stabilitrak too.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:40 PM   #63
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
These are little tidbits that each have the voice of a GM exec behind them; I quote them here to ease your worries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanaso View Post
Price, of course! If they offer 2 V6's and only one V8 and call it the SS and price it at 30K I wont be buying it. Like someone else said, I'm looking for a V8 that at least matches the Mustang GT in both performance and price.It HAS to come close within the Mustang's pricing. It's a Camaro. That's the market they are competing in...

Also, safety...yeah I said it. I have to use it as my daily driver so if it gets horrid crash ratings or does not offer good safety systems (Air bangs all around, etc) I wont get it because before my love of cars comes my love for my son and driving him around in an unsafe (no matter how sexy and fast it is) car WONT HAPPEN.Camaro WILL get a comprehensive 5-star crash test rating. "It would be suicide not to". Hence....the B-pillar.

Weight, 4000 pounds aint going to cut it for me.That's a relatively insane number for Camaro, so...look lower.
Cheap interior Don't bet on it.
Uncomfortable seats
(please GM, use the GTO seats those are the best I've EVER sat in!!!!)

...did I say price and lack of V8 at Mustang GT level?See above
Old 12-31-2007, 05:32 AM   #64
chevys

Drives: 03 Mach 1
My deal breaker will be price period. Im pretty sure that the car is going to live up to its expectations but I will still wait to see what issues pop up with the first year model. I also want to see what Ford does in 2010 with the mustang.

Im another mustang guy that has lurked here for a long time. Im totally frustrated with Ford concerning pricing these days. I guess I should say the stealers and the fools who pay three prices for mustangs. Mainly, Im speaking of special edition mustangs.

Anyway, this is a great forum.
chevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:58 AM   #65
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
^Thanks for the compliment and welcome to the boards. It'll be interesting to see what happens w/ pricing one all three musclecars hit the streets.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:22 PM   #66
DILLIGAF

Drives: 2023 ZL1 M6 Rapid Blue
1. PRICE: My grandfather retired from GM, so if I can't get his discount on the Camaro when I am ready to buy (Summer 2010), I will be getting a Corvette. or if i can have a corvette for the same price as the camaro i want, im just gonna get the vette.

2. INTERIOR: I like to install aftermarket sound systems in my vehicles, If I cant do it in the camaro because its not the standard opening or whatever, i wont buy it. I also dont want onstar, so there must be an option to delete it (Not a deal breaker though). The seats must be comfortable. I love the seats in my Ion Red Line, they are Recaro Seats and they are amazing. The camaro must have something similar.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:31 PM   #67
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLIGAF View Post
1. PRICE: My grandfather retired from GM, so if I can't get his discount on the Camaro when I am ready to buy (Summer 2010), I will be getting a Corvette. or if i can have a corvette for the same price as the camaro i want, im just gonna get the vette.
I don't understand that part....If you can't get your grandfather's rebate on the Camaro...the Camaro would still be less expensive than the Corvette, yes?
Old 01-01-2008, 02:21 PM   #68
stovt001

If you delete onstar, you'll likely still have the onstar mirror, as they likely won't make a whole new mirror design just for the 3 people out there who order onstar delete (assuming that's even offered)

By summer of 2010 I think things could very well slow down enough to allow for a discount. That's nearly a year and a half after release. Unless you're looking for the top dog or a limited edition version, you'll probably be able to get some discount.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:55 PM   #69
Cubanaso
Follower of CHRIST!

Drives: 2005 Mazda RX8
stovt001, yeah...so I guess my deal breakers aint very convincing, lol.

Dragoneye, THANKS for the reminder...again, my worries most likely is a no issue so I'm glad you posted what you did.

Quote:
I like to install aftermarket sound systems in my vehicles, If I cant do it in the camaro because its not the standard opening or whatever, i wont buy it.
I feel you on this one, my RX8 has the AC system and Radio all connected together and I HATE IT that Mazda was so stupid about allowing us to customize/personalize our cars. Sure there are some aftermarket stuff to get around this, but basically for some plastic and wires they want like $400 bucks for it and I'd NEVER pay that much for something like that.

I don't mind the hole size issues because within months they would have a kit but I agree that car companies now a days are making it hard on us to customize our radio systems.

Well...it's 2008, one more year I guess...right?
Old 01-02-2008, 09:42 PM   #70
stovt001

I think Scion has made the issue of aftermarket sound system installation more visible to the manufacturers, so I would think that in newer cars you'll see better accommodation for aftermarket systems. On the other hand, complex infotainment systems are becoming more common, and those might make changing out components a bit more difficult. Hopefully for you guys it will be aftermarket friendly.