Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

View Poll Results: Do you plan to get this recall if you had a choice?
Yes 245 15.30%
No 1,356 84.70%
Voters: 1601. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2014, 06:40 AM   #645
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
A damn key fob as a recall. Good, glad it's not something important.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:43 AM   #646
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
As usual, a couple of idiots ruin it for everyone! Holding on to me keys as long as I can.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 06-14-2014, 06:46 AM   #647
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmginc View Post
i tried to hit the key in the ignition with my knee yesterday but my leg hits the steering wheel first and i never was able to make contact with the key. even with the wheel tilted all the way down i could not make contact with it. i am 6'1".
Same here. This is really only a problem for shorter people who have to move the seat way forward and up. Although, when on a road trip on CC, I tend to bend my right leg w/ foot toward the front of the seat and my knee could come close to the key. Not a problem though.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:51 AM   #648
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Same here. This is really only a problem for shorter people who have to move the seat way forward and up. Although, when on a road trip on CC, I tend to bend my right leg w/ foot toward the front of the seat and my knee could come close to the key. Not a problem though.

I'm 5'6" and am nowhere near the key.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 06-14-2014, 07:14 AM   #649
EmeryZ28

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I will not be going to the dealer to switch keys. This is complete garbage, I was in my car yesterday and could not get my knee to touch the keyfob while in ignition no matter how hard I tried. I am 5'9. I would say for the remote chance of this happening you would have to be atleast 6'5+ and sit weird. it is really sad that the brutal treatment GM has received from the government and media caused them to roll out this unnecessary recall.

Also, Audi, VW and Mazda all use identical style switchblade keys. Before she became my wife and I put her in a proper car (2010 Malibu) my girl had an 05 Beetle with the switchstyle key. Now in that car when I was forced to drive it my knee was verrry close to the key in the ignition. So I expect them to recall their cars now too! But they won't because they are impeccable german engineers and the media only likes to blast good american companies!

Quote:
Just for kicks, to test it out, I tried to turn the car off while driving and it worked! I didn't even think that was possible. I figured all ignition switches were designed to make that impossible. Fortunately, it was as simple as turning the car back on while rolling, putting it in the right gear, and driving. If they're truly so worried, they should just design new switches and swap those out.
you can do that with any car!
Old 06-14-2014, 07:26 AM   #650
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
From motor trend:

2010-2014 Chevrolet Camaro
The Problem: A driver's knee can bump the key fob and cause the key to inadvertently move out of the "run" position, leading to a complete shutdown of the vehicle's electronics, including the airbags. The issue was discovered after internal testing following the ignition switch recall. Although this case sounds similar to the ignition switch recall, GM says the ignition system in the Camaro is unrelated to the system used in the millions of Cobalts and other cars previously recalled. GM believes this issue is related to three crashes that resulted in minor injuries

The Fix: GM will change the Camaro key to a standard design. In the current design, the key is concealed in the fob, but GM is changing the design so that the two can be independent of each other so that contact with the key fob won't accidentally move they key from the "run" position.

Number of Vehicles Potentially Affected: 464,712 2010-2014 Camaros in the U.S.; 511,528 in Canada and Mexico in addition to exports.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:27 AM   #651
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
From motor trend:

2010-2014 Chevrolet Camaro
The Problem: A driver's knee can bump the key fob and cause the key to inadvertently move out of the "run" position, leading to a complete shutdown of the vehicle's electronics, including the airbags. The issue was discovered after internal testing following the ignition switch recall. Although this case sounds similar to the ignition switch recall, GM says the ignition system in the Camaro is unrelated to the system used in the millions of Cobalts and other cars previously recalled. GM believes this issue is related to three crashes that resulted in minor injuries

The Fix: GM will change the Camaro key to a standard design. In the current design, the key is concealed in the fob, but GM is changing the design so that the two can be independent of each other so that contact with the key fob won't accidentally move they key from the "run" position.

Number of Vehicles Potentially Affected: 464,712 2010-2014 Camaros in the U.S.; 511,528 in Canada and Mexico in addition to exports.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:41 AM   #652
Kleeeb

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 1LT/RS
Send a message via MSN to Kleeeb Send a message via Skype™ to Kleeeb
500,000 camaros owned from anywhere from 1-4 years and this inadvertently happened to.... 3 people. THREE. I guess a new key wouldn't be so bad if the fob was stylish and whatnot but Imma wait until someone else does it. And if I like it, I may switch. If not, I won't. Because I haven't had a problem yet, and giving us a new key isn't solving the problem. It's just a way to remediate the bumping of the key. Add on tons of key chains and those wristlets that girls wear, and the same thing can happen with a normal key, if not more easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2014, 07:54 AM   #653
Jackass
Doing what I like to do

Drives: 1963 Landrover
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawSS View Post
awww...I like my key. I would replace the switch and plastic around it due to the maniacal 1st owner who must have been Jack the Ripper's sister. There are more stab marks on the plastic surround than on a piece of rice in N. Korea.
Moët likely the previous owner was a ,,,vision impaired person ,,,like the ones we run into on the freeway driving by Braille .
And since GM didn't put that fixture ( Braille ) on the surroundings of the ignition switch ) he had no other option
Jackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:58 AM   #654
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by oustaz View Post
Guys grow up, we all like our keys but if it is a safety issue for all cars on the road, imagine driving 60 mph in the highway and the car shut off and an accident happens!!! people could possibly die because.....you like your keys too much/personally I will go head and change it for my safety and others.Thanks
If it makes you feel safer, then by all means get the recall done. Personally I don't think it fixes anything. What will stop you from hitting the new key with your knee? And will the new set up you will also have a fob dangling from the key and supposedly things hanging from the key is also a potential cause of the ignition getting switched off.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:59 AM   #655
EmeryZ28

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
next thing you know they will recall the gas pedal. if you hit it to hard it will cause the car to spin out and crash.

I just went out in my car and in normal driving position, bounced my knee around like an idiot and tried to hit the key, it was not possible. I had to slide the seat way up and have my feet nowhere near the pedals, THEN i could hit the key. absurd
Old 06-14-2014, 08:02 AM   #656
Jackass
Doing what I like to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
As usual, a couple of idiots ruin it for everyone! Holding on to me keys as long as I can.

Sent from my 2SS/RS

I suppose that no one , no even the cops will be knocking on your door to have you at gunpoint to bring the car for service !
Just ignore it , if that's what you want !
Old 06-14-2014, 08:07 AM   #657
Jackass
Doing what I like to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeryZ28 View Post
next thing you know they will recall the gas pedal. if you hit it to hard it will cause the car to spin out and crash.

I just went out in my car and in normal driving position, bounced my knee around like an idiot and tried to hit the key, it was not possible. I had to slide the seat way up and have my feet nowhere near the pedals, THEN i could hit the key. absurd
And what tells GM that no one could do the same with the traditional Key ?
Old 06-14-2014, 08:09 AM   #658
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
There is also a recall on the steering wheel.

Apparently if the driver moves it with his hands, it can cause collisions and injuries.

Next week:

Your Gas Pedal: Friend Or Foe!
2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, camaro, new camaro, question, recall