Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-19-2017, 03:34 AM   #43
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
What type of cats does the Z06, ZR1, and ZL-1 run? Seems like they should be able to handle it.

I’m sorry for your loss brother. Like the 6 Million Dollar Man, make it stronger, faster, better.
Thanks Tiger. I like that analogy. I’ve decided that’s what I’m going to do. I’ve wondered the same thing about the cats. I was going to research it. Let me know if you find out something. Otherwise, I will probably...the cats. I’d stay at ~450rwhp NA if you can. Easier on everything. In retrospect I test drove a fully loaded A6 ZL1 before I bought my SS. At the time I wasn’t impressed for $24k more. I actually didn’t like the look of it as I thought it was somewhat gimmick looking. Obviously there are no gimmicks and I know, like many others, after the fact, that this would have been the better choice if you were going for big power. Anyone else that can chime in on any cats capable of handling f.i. let me know.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:19 AM   #44
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
If I were in your shoes, I’d probably just find a low mileage salvage engine, drop it in stock, sell the car, sell the parts separately. Cars that don’t run are hard to sell and bring little. Used hot rod parts are all over. It’s a no win situation. Putting good money into a car you will get only part back, or sell the car for even more loss. It’s a lousy position to be in. Sorry man.

Last edited by Spurshot; 12-19-2017 at 05:32 AM.
Spurshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:28 AM   #45
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS PANTHER View Post
Agreed. Only reason for the engine failure was running high flow cats. Any cats are not good for a supercharged build. Very reasonable/common 7.9psi boost. Duty cycles and fuel were fine. I was thinking about checking my cats about 9 months ago. About 8 months late. Another warning to f.i. builds running cats. Ring lands broke and scored the cylinder walls on 7&8. The two back cylinders, which, would make sense.
So the piston ring lands broke? Or the rings themselves? I’ve had a supercharged engine break compression rings. It was caused by detonation. Maybe only short periods, but it was detonation.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:13 AM   #46
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
my brother had a similar problem with his '69 Nova. put about twelve grand into a built motor and then missed a shift one day. limped home. it has been in the garage for about two years as a place to put laundry because he can't decide whether to sell or rebuild. he also does not want to step down in power with a crate motor. hope this helps.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:54 AM   #47
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I'm late to this, but it would serve you better to fix it and sell later. Rollers are not worth much, no matter what shape they're in. With the goodies you have on it, you will lose out big time. Who knows; If you fix the motor you might decide to keep it.

Good luck.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:07 AM   #48
MyLocalDJ

Drives: 2015 2LS
Quote:
Agreed. Only reason for the engine failure was running high flow cats. Any cats are not good for a supercharged build. Very reasonable/common 7.9psi boost. Duty cycles and fuel were fine. I was thinking about checking my cats about 9 months ago. About 8 months late. Another warning to f.i. builds running cats. Ring lands broke and scored the cylinder walls on 7&8. The two back cylinders, which, would make sense.
Never heard that about FI and CATs. I know not a Camaro, but I have been running FI on my Foose Mustang from the day it was delivered new. It did not come with a SC but I had the Ford Racing dealer install with my other mods, including Cams, before it was delivered. Pushing 8+lbs boost, stock bottom end, and around 137,000 miles and counting - and the engine has never been cracked open. (Hope I did not jinx myself just then!) I have headers but stock CATs and MagnaFlow CAT Back.
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2017, 09:52 AM   #49
Bowtie-Bri

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS Convt.
Sorry to hear this happen to your ride! I think that would be the better decision to rebuild it. I think you'll get more of your money back out of the car if it's in running condition. Did you upgrade the fuel injectors when you added the SC?
I know after upgrading to my Magnuson and putting it on a dyno the engine was running lean at high rpm. I had to upgrade the fuel system and injectors.
I'm also running high flo cats and never had a problem.
You have a beautiful car. I hope you get it fixed and enjoy it alittle while before your ready to sell it. Merry Christmas!!

Quote:
Thank you. I’m probably going to rebuild it now seeing how low the value of this car is.
2013 Nickey Stage II Camaro SS Convertible #10.Black w/ Red leather interior. No Weeds Elec. Diverters, CNC ported heads, custom grind cam, upgraded fuel injectors, ZL-1 fuel pump, V-Max ported TB, Red Magnuson Super Charger with rear cog drive, upgraded rear axles good for 1400Hp, 3:45 gears, Tremec 6 spd., Pedders adj. coil overs, Phadt ZL-spec swaybars, 800Hp at the crank, 670RWHP, 613ft.lbs. torq. @ 11lbs. boost. SOLD!!!
Bowtie-Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:47 AM   #50
SS PANTHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post
If I were in your shoes, I’d probably just find a low mileage salvage engine, drop it in stock, sell the car, sell the parts separately. Cars that don’t run are hard to sell and bring little. Used hot rod parts are all over. It’s a no win situation. Putting good money into a car you will get only part back, or sell the car for even more loss. It’s a lousy position to be in. Sorry man.
Thanks and your right. It’s not that I don’t have the money to fix it, it’s just the pragmatic use of the money. Since the car is worth so little as is, I just decided that I will rebuild it and drive it more. Probably let the wife drive it too now. Lol
Old 12-19-2017, 11:53 AM   #51
SS PANTHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarky View Post
my brother had a similar problem with his '69 Nova. put about twelve grand into a built motor and then missed a shift one day. limped home. it has been in the garage for about two years as a place to put laundry because he can't decide whether to sell or rebuild. he also does not want to step down in power with a crate motor. hope this helps.
I thought about that, but, as I stated in the previous post I’m just going to rebuild it, keep it and drive it. I won’t buy another performance car again and I really like the 5th gen. I had a 1969 Z/28 about 40 years ago I loved and when the 5th came out it has been the only Camaro I have liked since then.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:53 AM   #52
SS PANTHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
I'm late to this, but it would serve you better to fix it and sell later. Rollers are not worth much, no matter what shape they're in. With the goodies you have on it, you will lose out big time. Who knows; If you fix the motor you might decide to keep it.

Good luck.
Thanks. I’m going to rebuild it.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:57 AM   #53
SS PANTHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLocalDJ View Post
Never heard that about FI and CATs. I know not a Camaro, but I have been running FI on my Foose Mustang from the day it was delivered new. It did not come with a SC but I had the Ford Racing dealer install with my other mods, including Cams, before it was delivered. Pushing 8+lbs boost, stock bottom end, and around 137,000 miles and counting - and the engine has never been cracked open. (Hope I did not jinx myself just then!) I have headers but stock CATs and MagnaFlow CAT Back.
I know there are lots of problems with cats and f.i. I had Solo high flows. I think my OEM’s would have held up better. I would probably check on the Mustang forum to see if anyone is having a problem.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:11 PM   #54
SS PANTHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie-Bri View Post
Sorry to hear this happen to your ride! I think that would be the better decision to rebuild it. I think you'll get more of your money back out of the car if it's in running condition. Did you upgrade the fuel injectors when you added the SC?
I know after upgrading to my Magnuson and putting it on a dyno the engine was running lean at high rpm. I had to upgrade the fuel system and injectors.
I'm also running high flo cats and never had a problem.
You have a beautiful car. I hope you get it fixed and enjoy it alittle while before your ready to sell it. Merry Christmas!!
Thanks my friend. I’m going to rebuild it and keep it. I was running stock LS9 injectors with a MSD BAP and the rev limiter was set at 6200 as I did not have an updated valve train and cam in my L99. Something I was planning on doing down the road as a safeguard. Was hoping to do it on my schedule. The duty cycles and pressure across the rails, etc. we’re all good on the dyno. I was hearing this rattle in the exhaust and since I had a new Solo catback put on a year ago I had some rattles. I took it back to the performance shop that installed them and they adjusted them, which, got rid of most of the rattles. There was however a rattle about where the cats are when the car was started and cold. Went away when it was hot. Took it to another shop. Same thing they didn’t know. I suspected and planned on checking them, but, as I stated in an earlier post too late. Going with ID 1050’s and adding a ZL1 pump to the new forged build. Do you run cats?
Old 12-19-2017, 03:03 PM   #55
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Glad to see you’re keeping it. I’m sure you’ll be able to get it up and going... cam time ;o)

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #56
SS PANTHER

Thanks Don. Yes, on a good blower cam and new valve train. Forged bottom end and new larger injectors and pump. Since everyone here and my tuner said there is no real value in the car as is I decided to just go for it. Very frustrating to have this happen. It has been an enjoyable car and hobby. BTW, Are you running any cats? Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.