The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-20-2015, 10:44 PM   #43
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS, 2009 GTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
You don't impose a speed limit when you find a safety issue. You fix the safety issue. Its a race track. The production car record laps is a big part of what gives "The Ring" its world status. Sad.
Agreed. I remember in 2002 when a fan died at an NHL game by getting hit with a puck that went over the glass. What did the NHL do? Impose netting on all rinks that would catch and slow down pucks lifting over the glass. They did not say players could not take slap shots anymore.

This is sad to see, I love this track. I have been watching Le Mans since I can remember and I love driving this track in games, one day I wish to take a car over there still.

And I was looking forward to the One:1 taking a shot at the top time.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:22 AM   #44
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBreezie View Post
Quick someone build a nurburgring clone in America and have it built at the same altitude as the original. If this ban does actually come about then we will just have to take our lap times else where. All they had to do is fix the safety issue and they would be fine, but no they obviously had to ban all lap recording. The track will be a thing of the past if the ban passes.
I am not sure what the current status is, but a couple years ago there was a developer looking at building an exact copy outside Las Vegas.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:16 AM   #45
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I believe I had read elsewhere the the spectator[s] were beyond the normal viewing area. In other words standing by the "catch fence"? It's privately owned now so they have to take precautions. Not necessarily agreed upon precautions but necessary when you want to keep it open. If it happened here in the USA the lawyers would have already been on TV and announcing a lawsuit against the track.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:15 PM   #46
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
Quote:
I am not sure what the current status is, but a couple years ago there was a developer looking at building an exact copy outside Las Vegas.
Bruton Smith former NA$CAR race promoter.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/las-veg...gring-replica/
Old 06-22-2015, 12:22 PM   #47
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
In all frankness, this is bullshit.

The only reason anyone cares about the Nurburgring is that it is a sort of unofficial level playing field for all automakers to stake various claims on their cars. This is where a lot of great track tuning, top speed runs, and other manufacturer decisionmaking takes place. Without a strong manufacturer presence, there's no case for average drivers to go here.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:08 PM   #48
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
http://www.gizmag.com/nurburgring-re...s-vegas/21801/
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:14 PM   #49
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
As cool as that would be, we all know the climate has a major impact on performance. With Nevada being significantly different from Germany, the times wouldn't be authentic. It may be better to just find another track.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:25 PM   #50
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
Wow that would be cool! I know where I would be on my days off!

Having said that, I have yet to hear about this and I have been out here long before this was announced. Don't hold your breath.
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:26 PM   #51
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
As cool as that would be, we all know the climate has a major impact on performance. With Nevada being significantly different from Germany, the times wouldn't be authentic. It may be better to just find another track.
Yeah the 'ring sits at like N50° latitude. To match that we'd have to build a replica just north of the US/Can border.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:32 PM   #52
8cd

Drives: '05 WRX STi 444AWHP 430AWTQ 3280lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
In all frankness, this is bullshit.

The only reason anyone cares about the Nurburgring is that it is a sort of unofficial level playing field for all automakers to stake various claims on their cars. This is where a lot of great track tuning, top speed runs, and other manufacturer decisionmaking takes place. Without a strong manufacturer presence, there's no case for average drivers to go here.
Manufacturers aren't going to stop testing there just because they're nixing published lap times. The, "official" lap time thing was just a fun game for the magazines to play off of and good publicity for the manufacturers that participated.
8cd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:41 PM   #53
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
Yeah the 'ring sits at like N50° latitude. To match that we'd have to build a replica just north of the US/Can border.
Why would we need an exact latitude? All you need is somewhere in northern PA or somewhere that replicates Germany's environment and altitude.
LBreezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:52 PM   #54
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd View Post
Manufacturers aren't going to stop testing there just because they're nixing published lap times. The, "official" lap time thing was just a fun game for the magazines to play off of and good publicity for the manufacturers that participated.
I completely agree, but all the brands that have tested there and bragged about it are basically free advertising for the track and got to benchmark their cars against other manufacturers without having to actually purchase those models. If they can't pit future performance models against one another there, why bother going? GM can test and the Proving Grounds or other American tracks. The only reason the Camaro team would take a few over there was to beat up on cars way more expensive without having to actually buy those cars.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:48 AM   #55
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
I guess I don't really see a big deal.

1. Its a "track" half way around the world, that at best, a hand full of us (posters on this and other forums I post on) will ever be to.

2. There are not now, have there ever been, "Official" lap times.

3. There are dozens of tracks both stateside and abroad that are just as capable of giving developers and engineers what they need to make cars with world-class handling.

Have to agree with this^ MFG will still go their to test, bc it is a demanding track and a great tuning tool. But really didnt care about the lap times there. Lap times on stateside tracks interest me more, especially tracks like Laguna Seca
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:23 AM   #56
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I just wonder why this just so happened right before Koennisegg was sure to set a new lap record? Old man story, we were at the original Irwindale Raceway watching Little John Lombardo make a 1/4 mile pass single lane run. He punched the throttle, the car lurched forward about 30 feet and then decided to blow off it's supercharger into the stands! This was years before blower belt straps to secure them. Before safer mixing of nitro-methane in all of the cars.The weird feeling of seeing parts hurtling towards you is indeed an eye opening experience! We were fortunate it didn't strike anyone that evening. If you spectate close expect to be collateral damage. The incident at the Nurburgring was during a race. It still hasn't been admitted by the track that the spectators were in a restricted area.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote