Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-13-2010, 12:12 AM   #43
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Umm .. the President already has multiple armoured limosines, numerous armoured SUVs, and a fleet of helicopters that follow him anywhere he goes on the planet. For all the money spent on all those vehicles (including flying the motorcade to another country every month or two) they could probably buy every single Veyron ever made.

As for stealing from the taxpayers, its an average of $0.27 a person. You lose more money than that from change falling out of your own pockets. Furthermore, the one accusing John of being extravagant has admitted that she will buy a car worth at least $32,000 if she becomes mayor ... a cost that wouldn't be incurred if she loses the election (since another new car wouldn't have to be purchased).
Aside from the fact that I wouldn't bid because it's an LLT..

ZING~!

I'd seriously bust a nut if someone tried to pull this with the president. I mean we complain about Caddies already being too heavy.. but when they weigh as much as an Abrams.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:51 AM   #44
CRANKYPANTS

Drives: I WANT MY 1ST CAR BACK, 1979 Z28
The city should not have to pay for everything you want, nor should he have paid for it out of the city's reserve. It's cool he bought one to show pride in a locally built product of beauty. But he should pay out of his pocket. I hate politicians they are all crooks.
CRANKYPANTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:56 AM   #45
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRANKYPANTS View Post
The city should not have to pay for everything you want, nor should he have paid for it out of the city's reserve. It's cool he bought one to show pride in a locally built product of beauty. But he should pay out of his pocket. I hate politicians they are all crooks.
The Mayor probably shouldn't be entitled to a car. However, the city's budget had already been allocated for the Mayor's car. All this guy did was spend it on a Camaro.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #46
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCamaro View Post
I don't really want to become involved in this discussion. However in order to make the discussion fair, I feel obligated to share a few facts concerning this which I am aware of. Yes, these are facts, not opinion. I do have my own opinion concerning the matter but I choose not to voice that here (b/c many others will do that well). And yes, I am aware that facts can be presented in a manner to support just about any opinion. So, take these facts for what they are:

- This vehicle was purchased by the city for with the intention to support the single largest employer in the city/region. Some will say the life-blood of the area. I'm sorry - but the reality is that even once fully on-line, many "regular" people will not realize the Regal is built in Oshawa. "Most" people do know the Camaro is built in Oshawa.

- Had it not been a Camaro purchased, another vehicle would have been purchased (yes, "purchased"). Read carefully - the Mayor is provided a vehicle - period. This isn't a new rule that was created to purchase this exact car. If Ms. Parkes wishes to include in her electoral platform the position that the position of Mayor should only receive an allowance rather than a "company" vehicle, then fine. However she has chosen to also use the type of car to generate negative for the Mayor. This matter (the Mayor driving a "muscle car") has been bantered in the press previously.

- A similar article (I understand) was printed in the Toronto SUN this week. One of the differences between the 2 articles, is the SUN had the decency to contact the Mayor and ask if he would like to provide comment on the matter - The Star simply published the story without contacting the Mayor's office. Some might say that presents an unfair, lop-sided story

- You can be guaranteed that the Regal that Ms. Parkes drives is not a "base model" at $32K. Furthermore the Camaro is in fact a very affordable car (yes, even at Canadian pricing). I have not checked the pricing of the Regal to compare, but I suspect that the top-of-the-line Regal prices out much higher than a 2SS/RS (I could be wrong - can't be bothered to check) (are Oshawa built Regals even available yet anyway?). So I don't believe the point of inappropriate use of tax payers money holds water.

- I would also like to point out something that isn't mentioned in the article. That is the tax treatment of the 2 positions presented (city purchased car vs. car allowance). I won't get into details because they are complex and I don't know all the facts. However, depending on those facts, it is VERY likely that the Mayor will be paying much more personal tax for this benefit received compared to an individual receiving a car allowance who "may" not be paying any tax on that benefit. Now who's paying back into the pool of tax money?
Well said Scott, and yes the Buick Regal is available for sale. Here are the models & prices as published by GM Canada website and the range from the base to the fully equipped turbo models:
Regal CXL 1SA Package = $31,990 MSRP to Regal CXL Turbo 1SP Package = $42,675 MSRP*

http://configurator.autodata.gm.ca/G...e.html?lang=en
Old 09-13-2010, 08:25 AM   #47
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
Dont auction it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCamaro View Post
I don't really want to become involved in this discussion. However in order to make the discussion fair, I feel obligated to share a few facts concerning this which I am aware of. Yes, these are facts, not opinion. I do have my own opinion concerning the matter but I choose not to voice that here (b/c many others will do that well). And yes, I am aware that facts can be presented in a manner to support just about any opinion. So, take these facts for what they are:

- This vehicle was purchased by the city for with the intention to support the single largest employer in the city/region. Some will say the life-blood of the area. I'm sorry - but the reality is that even once fully on-line, many "regular" people will not realize the Regal is built in Oshawa. "Most" people do know the Camaro is built in Oshawa.

- Had it not been a Camaro purchased, another vehicle would have been purchased (yes, "purchased"). Read carefully - the Mayor is provided a vehicle - period. This isn't a new rule that was created to purchase this exact car. If Ms. Parkes wishes to include in her electoral platform the position that the position of Mayor should only receive an allowance rather than a "company" vehicle, then fine. However she has chosen to also use the type of car to generate negative for the Mayor. This matter (the Mayor driving a "muscle car") has been bantered in the press previously.

- A similar article (I understand) was printed in the Toronto SUN this week. One of the differences between the 2 articles, is the SUN had the decency to contact the Mayor and ask if he would like to provide comment on the matter - The Star simply published the story without contacting the Mayor's office. Some might say that presents an unfair, lop-sided story

- You can be guaranteed that the Regal that Ms. Parkes drives is not a "base model" at $32K. Furthermore the Camaro is in fact a very affordable car (yes, even at Canadian pricing). I have not checked the pricing of the Regal to compare, but I suspect that the top-of-the-line Regal prices out much higher than a 2SS/RS (I could be wrong - can't be bothered to check) (are Oshawa built Regals even available yet anyway?). So I don't believe the point of inappropriate use of tax payers money holds water.

- I would also like to point out something that isn't mentioned in the article. That is the tax treatment of the 2 positions presented (city purchased car vs. car allowance). I won't get into details because they are complex and I don't know all the facts. However, depending on those facts, it is VERY likely that the Mayor will be paying much more personal tax for this benefit received compared to an individual receiving a car allowance who "may" not be paying any tax on that benefit. Now who's paying back into the pool of tax money?
If you're writing something so factual, wouldnt you take the extra time to easily check a couple details supporting your facts? lol, you have the longest post in this thread but said you didnt have time to check...

I digress, this seems like an open-shut case to me.

If they are able to auction off the incumbent mayor's car once someone else takes office, then the car is property of the city and always has been. Therefore the Camaro is falling within the same terms as outlined by Parks' Regal if she were to be elected.

And in my full opinion (and nothing more) the old hag (I dont even know her!) is bringing up an issue so twisted and pathetic that the incumbent mayor shouldnt even have to reply with a response. Furthermore, in a city where the "lifeblood" of the economy is a factory that builds Camaros, is it not good advertising to have that very mayor driving one?? A car that has once again become an icon around the WORLD??

I say dont auction off the car if she is elected - put her ass in one! That small maple syrup drinkin hockey town has a major card in the game and I say play it!! It should be the best looking Camaro out there. If I was a citizen, the only thing I would be upset about is that there's no Canadian flag on it because I would want the whole world to know where that car was built
Old 09-13-2010, 09:49 AM   #48
leonardo
SoCal HT5 [COTW 11/24/13]

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS / Ducati 1198s
THIS IS NEWS ??????? this kind of stuff happens all the time all over the USA, but I totally agree with some of the people here. If he loves the car so much thats great and all but dont use tax payers money
Old 09-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #49
leonardo
SoCal HT5 [COTW 11/24/13]

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS / Ducati 1198s
correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stett View Post
Kudos to Oshawa for supporting GM and purchasing the Camaro. With that being said, if it was purchased with taxpayer money, it should not be considered the mayor's (read Mr. John Gray) car, but the Office of the Mayor's car. If he is not reelected, he should not have the car anymore unless he purchases it from the city.

If she gets elected and decided she wants to auction off the Camaro for more money to the city... more power to her, it's city propery paid for on city books, and she's the Mayor... As long as council agrees then it goes.

As for the Regal, same thing should apply to her. If the city purchases the Regal with city funding, then it stays with the city when she's voted out of office for badmouthing the Camaro in it's home town.

I agree 100 % !!!
Old 09-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #50
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
I see nothing wrong with it. If it was any other kind of car there wouldnt be a problem. Ontario is full of anal retentive, judgemental and apathetic sheep. Half this place acts like morons as the other half just shrugs its shoulders in disbelief. Too funny considering when the GST and PST merged as the HST the PST workers left work on the friday, came in on the monday and got on average up to $18,000 Severance packages because technically they were being laid off from the provincial government. There is over 3000 employees that went through the shift. Do the math, open your eyes and see the corruption and scandal top to bottom in the entire system. For the majority Ontario is a media, political and senseless place. You have the idiots, running the idiots being overseen by idiots. Most Ontarians need to STFU and really look at whats going on, and then bitch and complain. Unfortunately everyone seems to have an attention span of a week before they forget what happens and how it all gets shoved under the thick media rug.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:05 PM   #51
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
Sadly, this pretty much sums up Canadian politics

Who ever is not currently in charge, ALWAYS talks about how BAD of a job the other guy is doing, without offering any solution.

Pick me because he's doing a bad job! ... wait what do you mean how will I fix it?
Old 09-13-2010, 04:12 PM   #52
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
So the guy, has a Camaro, manufactured and assembled in the hometown. Perhaps it is the perception thing. He may have been better off to have selected an Impala which would not have drawn as much attention.

Regardless, he was promoting his own constituents' major source of employment. Good for Him.

Nothing finer than silly political mudslinging.

If the citizens of the City of Oshawa, accept this as one of the perks of being the Mayor of the City. So what, they can speak with their own voices at the polls to effect change if they feel that strongly.

Better he drives a locally produced product than something that has no relation to his community.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:06 PM   #53
Dylan

Drives: Pontiac
lmao... "an extravagence Oshawa cannot afford." ????

That is total BS. I live in Oshawa myself... and all this ridiculous mayoral candidate is doing is just trying to get her name out in the news and get heard. Stirring the pot usually works. She's forgotten that Oshawa has sponserships with GM... pretty sure the city of oshawa didnt pay $45,000 for this vehicle! John Gray is friends with my father, and Mr Gray himself has even told my father that he is promoting General Motors Oshawa and their product... infact, he ( I think him) used to have a Monte Carlo SS when we were building them here. Good for him to be driving something built in his and our own city, rather than some piece of crap import from japan. Oshawa is 85% GM... how it should be, always.

Oshawa is by no means broke... LOTS of money to go around here, much like surrounding cities such as Whitby, Ajax, Pickering, Scarborough, Toronto, etc.
This lady needs to peace
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:10 PM   #54
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylde1 View Post
Sadly, this pretty much sums up Canadian politics
Not just us Canadians... its everywhere.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:17 PM   #55
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Main View Post
Our politics here in Oshawa are ridiculous.

They built a new arena about 5 years ago.. there are still letters to the editor published regarding the "waste" of money. Anyone who visits it will disagree and it was well placed in our downtown that needs some recovery.

There is a VERY vocal minority here, and it is really sickening listening to them constantly.
I agree. Whoever is complaining about the GM Center is out of their minds. it is an EXCELLENT facility that houses many many great events, that brings business to our city. Its state of the art, and just a gem.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:03 PM   #56
Sevn86

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS ABM
Can someone tell me where i can get the stripe package running down the middle of the mayors car?
Dude, you go through cars faster than I go through underware!!
1000 Initial Order 9/14/2009 - Classic Chevy Sugar Land
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 9/15/2009 - NPGV41.
2000 Order accepted by GM: 9/29/2009
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 9/30/2009 - TPW 10/26/09
3100 Sequenced:10/12/09
3300 Scheduled For Production:10/13/09
3400 Broadcast:10/22/09
3800 Produced:10/27/09
4000 Available To Ship:10/28/09
4200 Shipped:10/29/09
5000 Delivered To The Dealer:11/09/09
6000 Delivered To Customer:11/12/09
Sevn86 is offline   Reply With Quote