Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-20-2016, 04:10 AM   #43
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince3 View Post
I'm getting headers and a msd intake installed next week. Do you think I CAI might get results because of the msd intake? ( I actually have both CAI and Mishimoto intakes that bought from members on this site)
Going MSD intake manifold means you will need a tune or your going to lose so much low end TRQ you're going to cry. A CAI will benefit the MSD Airforce IM, but I am not sure which one. I am looking at a lot of data still trying to see which one I have truly provides more air which will benefit a MSD IM.

So far the Cold Air Inductions CAI has proven to be the best product out fo the ones I have tested thus far. I am test drop in filters, Roto-fab, AFE and GM's aftermarket system next.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:34 AM   #44
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Why does the hood have to be closed if a cold air filter is sealed in a box?

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:47 AM   #45
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
Mainly to get accurate heat soak data.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:08 AM   #46
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
Cold air intakes that are open element or sealed by the closed hood will always perform better with the hood open, but it doesn't make for an accurate real-world test. You never drive with the hood open.

Intakes, like CAI's intake, are mostly sealed and pull air from the duct under the drivers side headlight. Hood open or closed they perform the same. So to do an accurate test the hood needs to be closed on all pulls especially if you are comparing open element to sealed box.

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:20 AM   #47
Finkleson

Drives: 16 2ss, NPP, MRC, Sunroof, Grey A8
glad I haven't bought any CAI yet . Once GM releases theirs soon I would like test results, before pulling the trigger. Quick question Sledge - did you have Ported Throttle body and Throttle controller (some of your video you have them installed) during the dyno?
Finkleson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:06 PM   #48
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
I hit Mishimoto up in their own thread to see what their response is to your video. I feel like hitting them up for a refund since their claims are proving to be bogus.
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:46 PM   #49
Tmcbigblue

Drives: 2016 1ss black 6m
This may be a dumb question as I don't have any experience with cold air intakes, but wouldn't go gains be minimal when the car is sitting still on a dyno vs going 100mph on a drag strip? The faster your moving the more air the engine would be getting. This is where the less restrictive intake would really make a difference in my opinion. Just thinking out loud. Again what the hell do I know.
Tmcbigblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 02:57 PM   #50
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
Going MSD intake manifold means you will need a tune or your going to lose so much low end TRQ you're going to cry. A CAI will benefit the MSD Airforce IM, but I am not sure which one. I am looking at a lot of data still trying to see which one I have truly provides more air which will benefit a MSD IM.

So far the Cold Air Inductions CAI has proven to be the best product out fo the ones I have tested thus far. I am test drop in filters, Roto-fab, AFE and GM's aftermarket system next.
The MSD intake isn't skewing the stock calibration. The loss of torque is actually less air entering the combustion chamber at the lower RPMs not an error in the tuning. The gains from a tune are the same delta in gains you would get with the stock intake in those lower regions. They come primarily from increased timing advance. The MSD intake won't screw with the fuel trims. At the higher RPMs the MAF is going to by default report more airflow so the AFR doesn't deviate much. The only area that would really need a tweak is the timing at the upper RPMs. It is a touch high for the MSD over 6000 RPMs but nothing the knock sensors can't compensate for if need be.

Now if you do the MSD and a CAI without recalibrating the MAF all bets are off on how safe it is until you actually look at the trims and AFR at WOT.

Tim
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:34 PM   #51
vince3

Drives: Hyper Blue 16' M6 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSloper View Post
The MSD intake isn't skewing the stock calibration. The loss of torque is actually less air entering the combustion chamber at the lower RPMs not an error in the tuning. The gains from a tune are the same delta in gains you would get with the stock intake in those lower regions. They come primarily from increased timing advance. The MSD intake won't screw with the fuel trims. At the higher RPMs the MAF is going to by default report more airflow so the AFR doesn't deviate much. The only area that would really need a tweak is the timing at the upper RPMs. It is a touch high for the MSD over 6000 RPMs but nothing the knock sensors can't compensate for if need be.

Now if you do the MSD and a CAI without recalibrating the MAF all bets are off on how safe it is until you actually look at the trims and AFR at WOT.

Tim
Does a tuner normally recalibrate the MAF?
vince3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:10 PM   #52
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
If the situation calls for it they absolutely should. It's easy.
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:42 AM   #53
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Will the Roto-fab be tested with or without the add-ons? I'm guessing you'll be installing and testing the Roto-fab in a similar configuration to the other intakes?

Though it would be nice to see a second round of Roto-fab only tests showing comparable runs with oil vs dry and sound tube vs no tube (so 4 sets of pulls?). See if there is any benefit to different cost options are if they are purely preferential.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:19 AM   #54
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
Will the Roto-fab be tested with or without the add-ons? I'm guessing you'll be installing and testing the Roto-fab in a similar configuration to the other intakes?

Though it would be nice to see a second round of Roto-fab only tests showing comparable runs with oil vs dry and sound tube vs no tube (so 4 sets of pulls?). See if there is any benefit to different cost options are if they are purely preferential.
I will see if I can get both types of filters.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:31 AM   #55
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Quote:
I will see if I can get both types of filters.
You rock!
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:32 AM   #56
Cldgin2

Drives: 2017 1LE SS
Quote:
I hope you're right. My 5th gen saw great gains... this car seem well plumed with its stock tune.

Just find a vendor who purchases the products from Rot-Fab over being a middle man only who drop ships. Roto-Fab can't take the blame from the Government as they are not carb legal / certified.

I tried to order one through them direct and they told me no as well. Its BS... I hate California. Can't wait to move to Texas on day.
As a native and former Californian, Nevada is not far so you can keep the benefits of being near AND we are FREE. No worries with ordering parts, or tuning our cars. Come on over!