Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 03-04-2009, 06:13 AM   #43
SRFnSNO

Drives: Blown & Flamed
Stock Pan But have a large Trans cooler w/E-fan

I had the entire trans Rebuilt Including a new 1500 stall converter.
That will suck up some extra fluid.
SRFnSNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:29 AM   #44
spd98

Drives: had a goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
lol...When I started reading this rp thread, I thought "where's spike?"

spikalicious!

So, my 2 cents is, the Corvette Forum has shown that the rp tranny will lessen the stiff bulkiness experienced with the Tremec trans.

It's the law in Corvette world. Take a tip from their learning.

The bulkiness is more noticeable in colder climate regions.

This is true from first hand experience on the t56 though I haven't seen on it in the 6060 yet. Ic an tell you swaping fluids in the m6 is a pain in the ass. The best way on the t56 is to do it when you change shifters and just fill through the shifter area!
spd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #45
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
This is true from first hand experience on the t56 though I haven't seen on it in the 6060 yet. Ic an tell you swaping fluids in the m6 is a pain in the ass. The best way on the t56 is to do it when you change shifters and just fill through the shifter area!
A good observation but the new shifter doesn't sit over the trans like it did on the previous Camaros so I'm not sure you will gain access when you remove it.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #46
spd98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
A good observation but the new shifter doesn't sit over the trans like it did on the previous Camaros so I'm not sure you will gain access when you remove it.
Oh believe me I know. Though it does still sit somewhat over the trans. You can see the actual cup in the pic below. I'm just not sure if the linkage itself is sealed going through the transmission body.

I'll find out really quick though once I get my car. If you can't fill there then the tubing from the engine bay to the fill port works. It just takes forever.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:22 PM   #47
mmbarberoilman

Drives: 2SS, 48 Plymouth, 77 Coup Deville
Cool

Amsoil is dex6. If you really think your trans fluid will last forever from GM you are indeed in for a rude suprise. Heat kills trans fluid and I have seen many transmissions get seriously abused with Amsoil trans fluid and live way beyond their capacities intended. It works. Look into the differences folks. I love the folks that think GM makes the very best and puts it in their cars. Then why do you want to change the cam? How about the intake? How about the tires? How about the heads? How about comparing products?
mmbarberoilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #48
Hesh

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro Vin 34334
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbarberoilman View Post
Amsoil is dex6. If you really think your trans fluid will last forever from GM you are indeed in for a rude suprise. Heat kills trans fluid and I have seen many transmissions get seriously abused with Amsoil trans fluid and live way beyond their capacities intended. It works. Look into the differences folks. I love the folks that think GM makes the very best and puts it in their cars. Then why do you want to change the cam? How about the intake? How about the tires? How about the heads? How about comparing products?

Its not that "we" think that. This is what comes straight from GM. There is not a scheduled change interval for the tranny fluid. More and more automakers are going with this now. There is even a (GASP) Toyota commercial that states they are doing the same thing. My Uncles little Honda, again no scheduled transmisson fluid change for the life of the car. So before you go bashing GM maybe you need to be up to speed on what is going on with all the automakers.
Hesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #49
Badger

Drives: 2010 ABM SS #14 of 2,027

-- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:01 PM   #50
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
AMSoil is very good product!
True True, my father and his father before him swear by it, they both use to drag race, not like top fuel but street modified drag race. AMSOIL is really good stuff, never heard of RP go figure, anyway like many have said here, the chance of voiding a warranty with a lubricant is minimal as long as it meets the recommendations of the manuf. obviously water won't work even though it is sometimes used as a "lubricant"
Old 03-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #51
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffny09 View Post
we do our research with the knowledge of what one another knows here
True, but the thing about forums is that, for every knowledgeable factual answer you get, you will get a biased opinion as well... though many people here are quite knowledgeable... they (including myself obviously) are hardly the proven facts of the industry, or of any one subject matter.

I am a member of several forums for several things computers being the other, I am a big computer nerd too, I love cars and computers anything I can tweak and tune... anyway, my point is this, people o to their forums for the know all end all answer to their questions, and though forums are a great knowledge base, it's not the only source of knowledge in the universe or the net in this case. I have seen people post threads with questions like "When is the next SEMA convention?" Well if you do a search in Yahoo or Google etc... it comes up, if you ask in a forum you will most likely get someoen responding with the correct answer and a link to show you the answer, but you may and most likely get a bunch of replies with queses or ideas of when they think it might be or when it was last year etc... So the point is, go beyond just what people tell you here and really do some research about it if your really wanting to know what the best is for sure, like others have said don't believe everything you read, especially from the people marketing the product. Get results from independent testing laboratories etc... that's what mmbarberoilman is getting at. ( I do believe, I don't want to speak for him)
Old 03-10-2009, 10:20 PM   #52
SummoneR
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post

Just sit back and enjoy the show boys and girls!
Old 03-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #53
Robert91RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
Oh believe me I know. Though it does still sit somewhat over the trans. You can see the actual cup in the pic below. I'm just not sure if the linkage itself is sealed going through the transmission body.

I'll find out really quick though once I get my car. If you can't fill there then the tubing from the engine bay to the fill port works. It just takes forever.

My catalog shows the bottom of the shifter linkage will sit right above the front ujoint. The right hand side of the above pic faces the front and the bushings will bolt to the tailshaft housing. I wish I had a way to post the diagram but no can do.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #54
spd98

Thats interesting because you can clearly see the ball that slips into the trans linkage in the pic. Won't take me to long to figure out once I get my hands on it. Though It almost looks like the "ball" has a pin or something through it for this application.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #55
Robert91RS

There is a linkakage from the bottom of the shifter to another linkage at the rear of the trans. It looks very similar to a late model mustang shifter setup.