Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-28-2023, 07:47 AM   #29
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLS1 View Post
You hit on some really good points, here is my take on it.

First and foremost, you must have the right tools for the job you are doing! Quality work requires 3 things:

-Quality parts. Spend a little extra now to save a lot of headache later.

-Quality tools. Have the proper tool to perform a specific function. Quality of the tool matters. They pay for themselves in the long run.

Quality craftsmanship. Nobody starts with experience. It comes with time spent doing the task. The work is not hard if you have good common sense and have basic mechanical ability. Know the process before you do it ( A lot of research ahead of time). Acquire the proper tools before starting work. Have a game plan when it goes sideways. (It will). Work safe and enjoy the time learning and spent with your car.

IMO those are the 3 requirements to do all the work to your car vs paying a shop a ton of money and hoping they do it right.

If you *can* do this ( some people just can't) then you are only out the cost of parts + 25%

The additional 25% hopefully covers mistakes (they will be made, everybody makes them) and nickel and dime parts that most people don't factor into as an expense. These parts would be things like fluids, nuts, bolts, clamps, shop rags, and other misc parts.

For example, I will be starting a TT setup this winter. I have acquired all the parts so far that I expect I will need. All together it's 14k in parts not counting the nickel and dime parts. I have 6k in transmission parts purchased. My next purchase will be diff, axles, and driveshaft.

All in all, I will have easily spent 25k to make an easy 800rwhp on SBE.

Be warned, it's a bottomless pit that consumes time and money. The more you want to make, the faster it consumes both. I fully expect to be north of 40K by the time I build a motor and things I have not considered yet. It's not for the weak of stomach and should be considered an investment into your happiness. Think long and hard about how happy this will make you.

Brian
This is a good list. I would suggest one more thing that is needed before starting, a quality attitude. If your attitude is not right, nothing else will matter.
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 08:22 AM   #30
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvloo View Post
Thanks for the advice! What do you mean with (it comes in 2 stages?) don't know much about nitrous. Or is it just two bottles instead of 1?
Not sure if you know this or not, but nitrous is really pretty much a drag race thing. Not really practical for road race, or canyon carving.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 08:38 AM   #31
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
This thread should be a sticky. Required reading for anyone who thinks getting real, reliable HP is anything approaching inexpensive, even if you do ALL the work yourself. I thought Silversleeper made some good points too about just upgrading the car / insurance value, etc. But I realize that part of the fun of modding is DIY. If...you possess the skills.

Good stuff. And not for the faint of wallet!
Old 09-28-2023, 08:47 AM   #32
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fz4k98 View Post
This is a good list. I would suggest one more thing that is needed before starting, a quality attitude. If your attitude is not right, nothing else will matter.
This is great advice. Even the best laid out plans can test your nerves. My build is for fun & enjoyment. There were some days in the shop where it felt like nothing went right & simple tasks turned into a hassle right from the start. I learned to walk away, reset my attitude & get back to having fun.
2013 2SS GPI built & tuned 415, spec'd by Andrew Cammer. GPI ported intake/tb/heads, Tooley springs, CHE trunnions, Callies rotating assembly, Diamond pistons, GPI SS3 VVT, ATI 10% ud damper, Circle D 3800, Kooks ceramic coated lt's with green cats, Mishimoto rad & oil cooler, Derale trans cooler, Holley efi rails.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 08:56 AM   #33
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Two stage nitrous, whats that? I heard Nitrous could also be used for some sort of cooling that made me interested.
I had nitrous on the car before I went turbo. Just go E85 (if they even have that in the NL) and leave it at that. Nitrous does help turbos spool up, but I have never used more than a 50hp hit off the line since putting on the turbo. If you can't get E85, a meth injection kit might help allow for more timing (HP).

If you want to know how nitrous works, Google is your friend. There is also a sticky on it in the FI forum.

I will say that working on my own vehicles has allowed me to teach anyone around me an entirely new vocabulary, but I have stopped throwing wrenches in the last 10 years or so (probably because I have been buying better tools and can't bring myself to scratch them).

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.

Last edited by CamaroCracka; 09-28-2023 at 09:09 AM.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 09:14 AM   #34
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
I had nitrous on the car before I went turbo. Just go E85 (if they even have that in the NL) and leave it at that. Nitrous does help turbos spool up, but I have never used more than a 50hp hit off the line since putting on the turbo. If you can't get E85, a meth injection kit might help allow for more timing (HP).

If you want to know how nitrous works, Google is your friend. There is also a sticky on it in the FI forum.

I will say that working on my own vehicles has allowed me to teach anyone around me an entirely new vocabulary, but I have stopped throwing wrenches in the last 10 years or so (probably because I have been buying better tools and can't bring myself to scratch them).
So true…so true.
Old 09-28-2023, 10:58 AM   #35
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
I'm not rich or anything but I'm willing to spend some money on it (I'm an 22 year old entrepreneur / student lol so it might take some time but thats alright).
I don't know how to mod the car myself yet but I want to learn. If you have any tips for learning please let me know!
Ok I'll try one last time. Do you listen to your professors?
There is a book about 5th gen Camaros with Camaro picture on the cover. It details the differences in from the V6 models to SS ZL1 and Z28.
That is a must for you to read first, homework because you simply don't understand yet.
Working on modern cars requires many tools and computer tuning and much experience. No comment section or youtube will do this nor your wishes or dreams. We all have dreams but it is wise to do research and listen to people who already know. Or not, it will cost your dollars not mine.
There are people in this thread with fantastic cars. I can't explain what it took to make them.
Edit; I might not have been clear enough for you. Do not do this, it is a mistake. If you must I would look to a complete including tuning bolt on centrifugal front mount supercharger or twisted rotor top mount KIT, that kit must be complete but this will be even far over your head and tools and only a shop can do this for you...still do NOT recommend you go beyone what is on your car now.

Last edited by silversleeper; 09-28-2023 at 11:09 AM.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 11:03 AM   #36
Eddymel1998

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99
Quote:
Thanks for the answers already!

I expect about 15K (EUR) for supercharging and 8K for LS3 convertion with cam, not sure what kind of cost to expect for the rest but you guys have given me a good total expectation.
I'm not rich or anything but I'm willing to spend some money on it (I'm an 22 year old entrepreneur / student lol so it might take some time but thats alright).

I don't know how to mod the car myself yet but I want to learn. If you have any tips for learning please let me know!
Guess I'll give my 2 cents on starting the work yourself, before this car I did simple stuff like change spark plugs and oil, basic things, only started "working" on a car with my Camaro, about a year in I was already doing the scary stuff like cutting holes in the hood and pulling the dash out, at the end of the day it's all just car parts, I am still a little nervous working on sealed systems like the engine though, but my car is my daily driver so everything I do needs to be buttoned up and running by the end of the weekend.

As for tools it's kind of a pet peeve for me, I pick up lots of hobbies (might be part of why working on the car was easier) and one thing people always tell beginners is to buy quality tools which I find makes it much more intimidating to get into any hobby, and yes it is 100% true that a quality tool will make work easier and faster but you can still make do with a budget tool where you feel you need it, my strategy is to go with cost that I feel is fair, which means on cheaper end, if the tool turns out to be junk, oh well it was a few dollars I can buy a better one (things like socket sets, drill bits, a nice Dremel, quality jack), most of my tools are still budget, plus get used to makeshift tools and keeping a few 2x4s laying around.

Also it may sound a bit cringe but what helped me a ton with getting into car modding was the donut media YouTube channel, most of their stuff is very "influencer" feeling, but back during COVID they had a show called money pit, was a pretty well produced and entertaining, basically following building up a Miata in just a driveway, obviously it's not a Camaro but a lot of basic stuff and mods are explained very well and gets you bit hyped up to go do some work yourself, the playlist should be pretty easy to track down on their channel.

Otherwise I'd say try and entrap a friend with promise of beer to make the work go easier and learn with your hands.
Old 09-28-2023, 12:18 PM   #37
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
I found that even doing a basic Centrifugal supercharger setup was a complete pain in the rear and required alot of specialty parts. For example a good quality power steering pulley puller.... I used the cheap one from the auto parts store and it broke the pulley. So I had to order a new pulley and a proper tool. Then then harmonic balancer gave me a bunch of trouble and had to buy a removal and installation tool for that as well. Then I had to pin the crank which required a right angle drill tool... Everyone says that the kits can be installed in a weekend... And they honestly can but... Only if you have a cabinet full of quality tools and a buddy or two to come over and help you wrench on some stuff. I wish that I went with an LSA factory blower, or a different supercharger stup, but my little Torqstorm is more then enough for me. Once i install a cam and valvetrain upgrade I think that 600rwhp is my limit as far as how far I want to go with my car. Anything more than that and I will be spending alot more money on things like tires, performance rear axles, and potentially putting a window in my block. The bigger you go with upgrades the more money and maintenance it will require. So far my stock LS3 with a centrifugal blower is a ton of fun, makes alot of cool supercharger noises and gets alot of attention as I drive it around town. I am tempted to leave it as it is and just enjoy it because so far with the centri blower, I have lost none of the driveability that the car had when it was stock. Although if I abused it too much i might have some valvetrain issues in the future. Good luck!

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 12:36 PM   #38
MSgt O

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert LS3/M6
In Europe, with little know how....nope. Leave your car alone and drive it. Enjoy it and the HP it already cranks out, and focus on other stuff, quality tires, shocks, and things that wont break the bank OR break your car...also in the Netherlands, you have car inspections, RDW correct? Will changing air fuel ratios via a tune, changing the cam shaft, adding a supercharger cause you registration issues?
MSgt O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 02:53 PM   #39
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddymel1998 View Post
G
As for tools it's kind of a pet peeve for me, I pick up lots of hobbies (might be part of why working on the car was easier) and one thing people always tell beginners is to buy quality tools which I find makes it much more intimidating to get into any hobby, and yes it is 100% true that a quality tool will make work easier and faster but you can still make do with a budget tool where you feel you need it, my strategy is to go with cost that I feel is fair, which means on cheaper end, if the tool turns out to be junk, oh well it was a few dollars I can buy a better one (things like socket sets, drill bits, a nice Dremel, quality jack), most of my tools are still budget, plus get used to makeshift tools and keeping a few 2x4s laying around.

Also it may sound a bit cringe but what helped me a ton with getting into car modding was the donut media YouTube channel, most of their stuff is very "influencer" feeling, but back during COVID they had a show called money pit, was a pretty well produced and entertaining, basically following building up a Miata in just a driveway, obviously it's not a Camaro but a lot of basic stuff and mods are explained very well and gets you bit hyped up to go do some work yourself, the playlist should be pretty easy to track down on their channel.
I find I am better off with used higher quality tools than new Chinese tools, but I do still buy Chinese pieces when used are hard to come by and it's for a job I don't do much, e.g. once. I do tend to cheap out on cleaning products which would cause a stroke for many on here, but I just can't bring myself to spend a lot of time cleaning. I did use a clay bar for the first time this year.

I also watch Donut, but I pretend the cars have four more cylinders. I like to understand what the JDM guys have and it's actually fairly informative.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 04:22 PM   #40
SlowLS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS , 2011 Colorado LS1
I used to buy cheap tools when I was younger, mostly because I couldn't see the bigger picture. They worked for a time but they always caused grief of some sort. Now that I am older, more "wise", and experienced I know better. (I know that sounds corny), Quality tools are built for life, buy it once and it works reliably and doesn't bust my knuckles, or have to go buy another one because it breaks.

BTW, Quality =/= Price, Plenty of quality tools can be had that don't carry the Snap-on or Matco price tag.

Like bald_eagle said, a cheap puller is a complete waste if it can't get the job done.

Harbor Freight hammer, sure. Harbor Freight ratchet set.. no thanks.

Chinese tools have their place, especially when it comes to consumables like for metal working...
Old 09-28-2023, 04:25 PM   #41
SlowLS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS , 2011 Colorado LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fz4k98 View Post
Very true, some days are better than others. Good attitude gets the job done!
Old 09-29-2023, 01:49 AM   #42
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLS1 View Post
I used to buy cheap tools when I was younger, mostly because I couldn't see the bigger picture. They worked for a time but they always caused grief of some sort. Now that I am older, more "wise", and experienced I know better. (I know that sounds corny), Quality tools are built for life, buy it once and it works reliably and doesn't bust my knuckles, or have to go buy another one because it breaks.

BTW, Quality =/= Price, Plenty of quality tools can be had that don't carry the Snap-on or Matco price tag.

Like bald_eagle said, a cheap puller is a complete waste if it can't get the job done.

Harbor Freight hammer, sure. Harbor Freight ratchet set.. no thanks.

Chinese tools have their place, especially when it comes to consumables like for metal working...
Yeah, when I was younger, I had a bunch of miss matched cheap tools that got me a bunch of busted knuckles and stripped bolt heads but as I got older, I started buying quality tools and man let me tell you what a difference it makes having nice stuff. I still have a bunch of miss matched tools but good quality tools. My son works for a transmission shop and has gone through what he thought was good quality stuff from Harber Freight but found out real quick that there is a difference between high quality and budget quality tools. So if you have a bunch of cheap tools it might get the job done or maybe they won't but you'll find out real quick that there is a difference. I would just buy them as you go instead of buying one big kit so you don't spend a lot of money on things you don't need like sae vs metric because I'm pretty sure that metric is all you need for 5th gen cars other then aftermarket stuff you might encounter.

As far as the experience, we all started somewhere and experience will come. I think that you starting this thread will help you as long as you take the advice with a grain of salt but there are some really good points.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
700hp, l99 camaro, mods