Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 08-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #29
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
lose 1,000 lbs, than it'll be close, otherwise if you just want a 2 seater get a Honda 2000 or Mazda Miata and add some mods. But they still won't turn heads, like the 5th.

I'd rather have the Redline over either of those cars ...
Old 08-23-2011, 10:54 AM   #30
Hellfighter

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
Eww mazda and honda. Slingshot has a good point
Old 08-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #31
SlingShot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfighter View Post
Eww mazda and honda. Slingshot has a good point
Thanks, if I were you I'd be getting the GM Upgrade for your girlfriend ... It will make an all new feel to the car. It will add 30Hp and 80Tq with no lift shifting and a 200 RPM increase to the rev limiter ... If you think the car is fun now, you should feel it with another 80 pounds of torque. It's a blast, and you can do some hurting to some V8's out there.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #32
Hellfighter

I think it did come with the GM upgrade, im not too sure what gives it away that it has it, because there are 2 square GM badgings on bottom fenders of the car.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #33
SlingShot

Those are just the GM chicklets and have nothing to do with the upgrade. By looking at the engine, you would have to look for the two new T-map sensors. If I can find a picture of the location, I will post it for you. The Map sensors are upgraded to 3 bar, good for just over 40 pounds of boost. In our area ( Texas & Florida ) we will only get a max of about 23 pounds due to elevation.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #34
Hellfighter

Elevation sucks haha
Old 08-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #35
ScottyB911

Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
I had an 09 Cobalt SS TC before the camaro. (Same setup and the Sky/GXP)

With the GM Stage kit installed I could run mid/upper 13s all day long and still got close to 35MPG on the highway. (I shocked the hell out of a few Mustang GT owners with that car...heh)

Scotty B
ScottyB911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #36
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
the hit you will take on selling your car, you might as well go with a turbo kit for yours.
Oh and I hope I dont offend anyonee here as I love the car, but the general consensus is that its a "cute" car
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #37
BigDan

Drives: bug
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB911 View Post
I had an 09 Cobalt SS TC before the camaro. (Same setup and the Sky/GXP)

With the GM Stage kit installed I could run mid/upper 13s all day long and still got close to 35MPG on the highway. (I shocked the hell out of a few Mustang GT owners with that car...heh)
Would you rather of kept your 09 Cobalt or traded in in on a V6 Camaro?

I asked my buddy this same question yesterday and he said he would much rather have a Coblat SS/TC over a V6 Camaro because he cares way more about performance and future potential then flashy looks. Then the subject of a new Grand National came up and as much as I like the ecotec 4 cylinder turbo I dont think it is enough motor to turn the new Regal into what the Grand National was but maybe if GM puts some fancy internals and raises the boost with a better turbo and added a better cooling system, performance transmissions and performance brakes to stop it in a hurry and they just might have something especially if the adopt the non-turbo's AWD system as an option and we might have some stiff competition for the Audi S4, G37x, 330xi and the other mid size AWD performance cars that young executives are choosing over GM.

Isn't there some sort of twin turbo 6 in Europe's Regal variant, now that would be one bad ass turbo GM that we can all be proud of now days.

Maybe a stripped down light weight 330hp version of the current Regal turbo with more aggressive front and rear fascias with a 2 door coupe available just like it competitors from Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai, Infinity, BMW, ect. Ive been seeing a lot of turbo 4 cylinder Genesis coupes popping up so it may be worth it to GM to pursue such a car again and give Buick that shot of adrenalin to attract younger buyers, like they have been trying so hard to do these past few years. Not too many years ago GM had a whole bunch of forced induction mid sized coupes that could surprise luxury car owner in an acceleration test and they were successful and driven by young adults. And please bring back the next generation of the turbo Sky and Solstice and re-badge it as a Buick or Chevrolet 2 seater with at least as much power as these GMPP modded turbo's so figure 320hp+ on a light weight chassis should be fun like the up coming light weight 2 door RWD Toyota and Subaru coupes that are on the horizon.

P.S dont discredit Madza MX-5's they are really fun and exceptional track cars that have a tendency to embarrass these heavy V8 American cars on the road circuits. There is dedicated MX5 series and championship cup races. In road racing in isnt about who has more horsepower, its the total package and the MX5 is pretty close to perfect for an affordable race car that just about anybody and hop into and be competitive or at least have a blast doing in compared in comparison to heavy V8 muscle cars.

Last edited by BigDan; 08-23-2011 at 03:31 PM.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #38
ScottyB911

Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
Honestly Im glad I traded the Cobalt for the Camaro. The Cobalt was definitely a cool car and no question it was fast but for me cars are about more than just speed and performance.

The Camaro certainly has a much cooler look to it than the Cobalt, but it also feels much more refined over all. Its a lot more comfortable on long road trips and even if its not as fast as the Cobalt, it does scratch the muscle car itch Ive had for ages. (even with only the V6) It all comes down to personal preference and I suppose age plays a factor as well...I was in high school in the 80s when it was still possible to own a first gen camaro or some other muscle car for under $5K. The Camaro is much more like driving the kind of cars Ive been in love with forever.

Scotty B
ScottyB911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #39
SlingShot

Here are some pics of the MAP sensor locations. There are two of them, and they will be spliced into the harness with new connectors.
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #40
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
I just picked up #339 Solstice GXP Coupe in April. This car hauls ass. . .not as quick as the SS, but it's a damn nice car. I'm dropping it off to GM later this week for the GMPP upgrade kit.
I went this route to keep my warranty... but if you have an older GXP or Redline, there's an aftermarket box tune that can get you a little more HP and TQ.

Stock it boosts to around 15-17psi (peak). The GMPP upgrade gets you 25-30psi. Mine's a automatic so I do loose some of the TQ. But 290hp 315Tq out of a car that weights around 3,000lbs is not bad at all.

Haven't done a photoshoot with the new stripe installed.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #41
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
guess, i do have one... not a good picture, but there's my rides... well, two of them.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #42
Shu71

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB911 View Post
Honestly Im glad I traded the Cobalt for the Camaro. The Cobalt was definitely a cool car and no question it was fast but for me cars are about more than just speed and performance.

The Camaro certainly has a much cooler look to it than the Cobalt, but it also feels much more refined over all. Its a lot more comfortable on long road trips and even if its not as fast as the Cobalt, it does scratch the muscle car itch Ive had for ages. (even with only the V6) It all comes down to personal preference and I suppose age plays a factor as well...I was in high school in the 80s when it was still possible to own a first gen camaro or some other muscle car for under $5K. The Camaro is much more like driving the kind of cars Ive been in love with forever.
Ditto. Even though the Cobalt SS and G5 GT are quick, they don't exude muscle car appearance. They are sport compacts. Like I said, they are quick and I wouldn't mess with one but their styling just doesn't do it for me. We bought my daugher a G5 and it is the cutest little car for her

Also I got the whole "I have the quickest car" thing out of my system by the early 90's, but boy those late 80's and early 90's were fun racing my street strip 69 Camaro. This car takes me back to that car that I miss so much.