Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #29
Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Savage Setsuna

Drives: 16' 2SS, 12 ZL1, RIP Sasuke
Send a message via MSN to Heaven_is_inferno_orange Send a message via Yahoo to Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Thanks for posting this. I too have been curious about how well they hold up and how easy they are to open and such. I've been dying to have them put on my car. I absolutely love the look they give. I wish I knew someone that had them so I could feel first hand how they open and close. Im a 5'6 and 130lb girl so my biggest worry is the hinges being too hard for me to pull closed.
Heaven_is_inferno_orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #30
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
I have the Vertical Doors Inc. (VDI) kit, and I don't regret it one bit. If I did, I would say so. Also, if I have problems in the future, I would announce them online as well. As of right now, the doors are perfectly fine. The doors open plenty wide enough horizontally (aka "normally") to get in the vehicle without trouble. The only time I use the doors is at car shows for the most part. In general, after the doors initial installation, there should be a time early after it's installation that you go back for a little tweak here and there to ensure realignment is perfect once the doors have been "worked-in", so-to-speak.

The fender is the only major thing that's permanent if you decide to go back to the stock door hinges. The VDI hinge seems to be of great quality and sturdy as all hell. Now, nothing is industructable. So, if someone decides to force your door open horizontally beyond it's natural range for the VDI kit, then you could do damage to the hinge. However, that could occur, with the stock hinge as well, but not as easily since the stock one will open wider, which people won't tend to do wit normal doors. What this means is that you should tell passengers how to operate the door correctly before they attempt it. Tell them to slowly open it to half way and sit inside, and woolah, they're in. If they decide to go vertical with the door, tell them to open the door half way until it hits the bump-stop, then lift vertically and very slightly out. Some individuals would think telling others this information is a pain in the ass, but it's not. I am a stickler for attention to detail and safety of my car, so I open the door for the passengers most of the time anyhow. That eliminates all possiblity of somone else destroying anything in regards to the door. The fantastic part about this door is that you don't have to go vertical with them, as they open perfectly fine horizontally for every day use. Another time I would give in regards to the doors is when lowering them from the vertical position, lower them and slow down as the door gets close to horizontal height, so you don't put excessive pressure on the hinge as it could bounce on the bottom portion if you lower it hard. This may seem like common sense, but some people may be to rough with a door like this.

I have had almost all great compliments on these doors. Everyone has different taste in mods, so if you want them, get them. I have plenty of men and women come up to me at cars shows that were a bit unsure of vertical doors on a modern american sports car, and it completely changed their mind. Many of them say that it should have come from the factory with vertical doors, and the hinges look amazing and of stock or better quality. It adds a whole new dimension to car that goes to shows, and provides a uniqueness factor that is hard to find in many other modifications.

I have had a few people at car shows that are sooooooo narrowminded that they can't get past certain modifications on an American sports car, and they believe it shouldn't be part of it. For some people, vertical doors, suicide doors, and SLR doors are one of them. Some people voice their opinion out loud and others don't at car shows.What's funny though, is a lot of the nay-sayers tend to go out and get these mods that they never liked before because it "grows on them", and they love the look over time. Then, other people will not. It's interesting because long ago, people would have thought of lowering their Camaro (or any American Sports car), putting airbags on it, body kits, LED halos, LED sidemarkers would RUIN the look of the car. Now-a-days, those exact same owners have grown WITH the industry and the new modificatiojns and styling, and actually start to buy new front bumpers, halos, etc to customize their ride. So many individuals are stuck in the past and play by a rule book that doesn't exist. Modifying a vehicle is all about personal style and taste. That's exactly what makes it fun and unique. I [personally would NOT enjoy going to car shows nearly as much if everyone had the same modifications. It's like everyone in the world having a similar look and personality, and that's soooooooo boring. There will always nay-sayers out there about everything, but many of them have gone out there and purchased modifications they once said they never would, EVER. That always makes me laugh because you never know what the future holds and what types of taste you'll have in certain modifications for your car.

Overall, I am more then happy with the doors thus far. Since it's my money and my car, I designed it the way it is with the doors for a certain look. I couldn't be happier.

Last edited by TCAT; 06-28-2012 at 01:31 PM.
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #31
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven_is_inferno_orange View Post
Thanks for posting this. I too have been curious about how well they hold up and how easy they are to open and such. I've been dying to have them put on my car. I absolutely love the look they give. I wish I knew someone that had them so I could feel first hand how they open and close. Im a 5'6 and 130lb girl so my biggest worry is the hinges being too hard for me to pull closed.
I'm sure someone will have them at C5Fest
Old 06-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #32
Tysen

This is what I think about when people mention lambo doors:

Old 06-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #33
CiscoBee
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro Rally Yellow 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysen View Post
This is what I think about when people mention lambo doors:

That is SO FAR FROM THE TRUTH it's actually funny!!!
CiscoBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #34
Tysen

Well, leave it to Kenny Powers to mess up anything easy, lol.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #35
CamaroIOM

Drives: IOM
I open regular without going vertical about 85% of the time. When I want to draw attention or more ease to place things in car go vertical. Love the option to do so!!

As for girls my wife can open and shut them without to much of an issue. She is 5'5 and about 110. She would rather open them up normally than vertical for everyday, but can still bring them down without an issue. However, please note this is standing outside the car. While in the car she has a much harder time lowering the door when fully vertical. It takes getting used to.

The only adjustments I have made is to the passenger side door. The door when opening wanted to go up on its own slightly. This would cause the door to hit the post when shutting if not being mindful. No real harm done, but made me cringe couple of times when kids/wife shut while hitting that post.
CamaroIOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #36
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven_is_inferno_orange View Post
You shouldn't worry about that because it's better and safer to just lower the door from vertical while you're standing, then sit in the car, and close the dorr from a horizontal position. However, the doors CAN be closed from a seated position when they are vertical, but it's just more difficult due to decreased leverage of the body. However, the door shocks do get easier and wear-in after owning it for a little while, and are actually used somewhat often. At first, I found it much more diffuclt to close from a vertical position when already seated in the car, and now it's not bad at all. After the shcoks wear in, don't worry about over wearing door slop, as the shocks have stayed plenty stout even after it's initial wear in. I hope that puts your mind at ease in regards to the doors. I still prefer to close them from a vertical position from when I'm standing though.
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #37
Genious
Army EOD Tech

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Since you have to cut one or two of the mounts on the fender do they make the fender weaker or more likely to cave in if leaned on where the door meets
Old 06-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #38
Lawdog1911
ZL1 Dreamin

Drives: 1967 Camaro, 2010 2SS (RIP)
GM actually had this thought of wing doors in 1989 on the California IROC-Z Camaro Concept

Yeah, not Lambo doors but, just saying
Lawdog1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #39
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
Does any one have the instructions or somewhere that shows you every little step. I know there cutting of the fender lip but there's other pieces as well. Pm please
Old 06-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #40
Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Savage Setsuna

Drives: 16' 2SS, 12 ZL1, RIP Sasuke
Send a message via MSN to Heaven_is_inferno_orange Send a message via Yahoo to Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Thanks Tcat and camaroIOM. Ive never played with them before so I never even realized they could be opened like a normal door as well. O.o'
Tysen: that would be awesome to find someone at cfest that would be willing to let me fondle there verticle doors.
Heaven_is_inferno_orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #41
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genious View Post
Since you have to cut one or two of the mounts on the fender do they make the fender weaker or more likely to cave in if leaned on where the door meets
they do not make the fender weaker. The hinges bolt right into the factory holes, and it's only minor trimming that you do.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #42
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
I will be getting mine when I get some more money. Going to Texas to have Lupe do it for me
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote