#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-09-2016, 08:00 PM   #29
Callaway Chris

Drives: Callaway Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post

This post will follow with 12 to 18 people that didn't pay it .......nevertheless it is an industry standard these days.....
On my wife's Callaway Camaro, we did not pay "dealer fees", and the dealer said upfront, they don't charge them.

A few years earlier, when I bought a car from a dealer, they said I had to pay the $399 dealer "doc fee". Since we had already negotiated and agreed on the price being "x", and since they claimed they "had to charge the fee to everyone", they decided to reduce the price by $399 so OTD, it was the same.

Vehicle before that, no doc fees, and on, and on... We pay what we negotiated, or we would walk
Callaway Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:03 PM   #30
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Honestly, I never thought $799 on a $70k car (with taxes, etc) would generate so much conversation. You guy do realize that we are talking about $799, not $5k or something significant like that?
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:36 PM   #31
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
You would be absolutely correct. When the internet decided to go to invoice pricing through true car and all the other sites, dealers just regrouped and assigned a doc fee as their profit. And they won't give it up ....they may offer you other things that countermand this charge but this money goes directly to the administrative/owner of the chain or the dealership.

I had to laugh a few weeks ago, I went into work with a dealership in Richmond Virginia and right on the front door was the hours of operation, and "this dealership charges a 499 doc fee"....LOL

This post will follow with 12 to 18 people that didn't pay it .......nevertheless it is an industry standard these days.....
I suppose every state is different, here it is 80 dollars and disclosed as a doc fee, not "dealer fee". Dealer fee makes it seem like a negotiable markup.

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:10 PM   #32
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_1ss View Post
I suppose every state is different, here it is 80 dollars and disclosed as a doc fee, not "dealer fee". Dealer fee makes it seem like a negotiable markup.
It is called a lot of things but it is dealer profit:
Doc fee
Processing fee
Dealer fee
Admin fee
Dealer services fee

The name can be anything the dealer owner wants to call it. I call it the "owners cut".

You should not get the opinion I think anyone should pay it, I am just explaining how and why a dealer tries to get it.

Last edited by Glen e; 09-09-2016 at 10:32 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:05 AM   #33
SoCal Racer

Drives: C4,C6 Z06,Silverado,'17 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
Honestly, I never thought $799 on a $70k car (with taxes, etc) would generate so much conversation. You guy do realize that we are talking about $799, not $5k or something significant like that?
I get your point relative to the price of your whole car, but it is still quite a significant amount of money. $799 is probably more than the Carbon Fiber hood option...or the carbon fiber interior option...you could probably get a stripe package for that...or Nav(?)...it is pretty close to paying for a sunroof...it is probably close to half or maybe more of the Gas Guzzler tax...at the very least you can buy two brand new rear tires to replace the ones that come with the car after you "test" out the line lock feature on the ZL1 (lol) ...

So I would not just say $799 is not significant...I am sure is is pretty significant to most people even just in their daily lives...ummm...how many gallons of gas could $799 buy for your brand new ZL1?
SoCal Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:26 AM   #34
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Congrats on your order! Keep us posted as you get your event codes updated!

I think the conversation being generated isn't necessarily the amount, it may or may not be THAT significant however... For me, it is the principle. My dealership knew my vehicles status before anyone other than GM did... And they didn't charge me a CENT over MSRP. Hell... Even flew me and the wife down for free.

MSRP as the name suggests is SUGGESTED retail price. Invoice is what the dealership pays and so with the MSRP they are already making money on it if agreed to MSRP and not below thus I see as greed and trying to squeeze more money out of the customer which is just flat out shady. I don't think the invoice prices are released yet but on a 61k msrp vehicle, I am willing to bet invoice is about 55 to 58k. So called "dealer fees" are just shady and I'd personally take my business elsewhere. It's not like we are buying a Ferrari Dino. There are A LOT of dealerships in the nation that have allocation and not shady.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:26 AM   #35
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
Capitalism. Supply n demand. Free market. Call it whatever you want. If you want the car ASAP then you better be prepared to pay FMV for it. If dealer profit under any definition upsets you, then get out of the front of the line and go sit down, awaiting the same car after they hype has subsided. Because it surely will. I hate markups as much as the rest and some surely spell out major greed BUT, the car is worth what someone is willing to pay. Period. Your power lies within your choice to walk away. That's all you got. Hate the game not the player.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:58 AM   #36
NB2017ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 10 Speed Hyper Blue
Old 09-10-2016, 06:59 AM   #37
BiltN66
BiltN66

Drives: 2017 SS
I just ordered my ZL1, and my dealer had several allocations. They only charged me $7.99 in "doc fees", but labeled it "shipping and handling"

My ZL1
Old 09-10-2016, 07:07 AM   #38
NB2017ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 10 Speed Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiltN66 View Post
I just ordered my ZL1, and my dealer had several allocations. They only charged me $7.99 in "doc fees", but labeled it "shipping and handling"

My ZL1
For 8$ bucks u can't even get a Happy Meal for that. Lol
Old 09-10-2016, 07:56 AM   #39
SoCal Racer

Drives: C4,C6 Z06,Silverado,'17 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NB2017ZL1 View Post
For 8$ bucks u can't even get a Happy Meal for that. Lol
$8 for a Happy Meal?!?...is that USD? lol seems like alot. I only paid less than $5 for one the other day...

...anyways back on topic...My dealer did not charge me any dealer fees...or Doc fees for my new ZL1. They picked it up for me. But I do remember when my Mom bought her Traverse there, they were trying to charge her around $70-80 in Doc fees. After a little negotiation, they gave her enough of a discount on the vehicle that it did not matter (nearly $4000 discount).
SoCal Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:32 AM   #40
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Congrats on the order!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OminouSS View Post
Hey Mike, it looks like you and I will have pretty much identical cars, sans the paint color. One question though: Your Workbench shows you chose V18 "Cooler Engine Coolant". What the heck is that? My WB does not show that. BTW: Congratulations!!!! Maybe our cars will be built the same week.
Quote:
It was already checked along with a bunch of other items specific to or required by the ZL1 model designation. The only thing I can think of is MAYBE there is a different "coolant" required for cars headed to California, similar to different emissions requirements. Honestly though, I have no idea. Awesome to see people coming in that have gotten in early. Let me know how things progress for you and make sure to post pics when you get it. Enjoy your new ride, should be fantastic.

V18 is the RPO code for: http://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NAS...page=6&butID=3

Quote:
V18 - Cooler, engine coolant, auxiliary
1 - Included and only available with (Y4Q) Heavy-Duty Cooling and Brake Package when (LTG) 2.0L Turbo engine is ordered.
V18 is standard on all SS and ZL1. Most likely code for the 3 engine coolant radiators on board.

ZL1 and SS also have standard:

-KC4 Cooling, external engine oil cooler

-V03 Cooling system, extra capacity

-KNR Cooler, rear differential

-KD1 Cooler, transmission oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:42 AM   #41
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Quote:
I know, right?!?!? Unbelievable.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:17 AM   #42
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
updated original post showing Event Description: 3000 - Accepted by Production Control
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote