Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-25-2017, 03:35 PM   #29
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Agree. Price to performance is quite amazing IMO. I have 2 more days this weekend on Cup2s then trying RE71Rs 295 square.
PS Cem, my car in stock form is superbly balanced and IMO as close to neutral as production car can get. But I don't have aftermarket offsets and more R aero
I am also not concerned about a square set up introducing any understeer as one size up on the F and one size down on the R should more then compensate for the rake change (and I believe this has been Provoste's experience when running 295 RE71R and 285 Yoko slicks in square set up)
Oh.. the OEM is definitely well balanced, it's not hard to guess as the MRC and the whole suspension geometry has been designed as a system from ground up It's not the fastest though. "Well balanced" doesn't necessarily mean "faster" or "cheaper" to operate. Even in stock form, car still has mild understeer when driven very hard but not in an annoying matter.

My Trofeo Rs felt awful, most likely because of the softer sidewalls, I ended up having even a bit more push but it also felt like having more body roll which makes me think is responsible for that understeer. As a rule of thumb, one can think SQ setup should mean even less understeer. but it wasn't. With the Trofeo Rs overall lap times were definitely faster Simply because, the advantage of 19" wheels are lighter, shorter gears, and R compound tires can easily compensate the disadvantage of the things I listed above. The "feel" however was not as good as the OEM for sure. I am willing to bet you the results would be a lot different if those tires were matched with Multimatics or a good set of coilovers that can use the potential of those sticky tires. I am going to ORP today and will be there tomorrow so I will see how the race slicks stack up.

My NT01s in 305/325 is the most enjoyable while still probably slightly slower than the 305 SQ Trofeo Rs. The amount of rear grip costs me some time penalty on the straightaways. It's all about the driving style and expectations I guess. I think Provoste could also see some benefit from having a slightly wider wheel setup if there's no huge weight/gear penalty of course. I think something like 18x10 and 18x11" setup with 305/315 R7s or even 305 sq setup

Anyhow, I completely understand the logic of people who want to stay completely OEM. It's undeniably good, especially for those who want to keep everything stock and don't plan to attend many events or not concerned about overheating street tires.
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:11 PM   #30
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Well said Cem. I only take exception to 2 points:
1) I do drive my car hard and I am yet to be even in a slightest annoyed with any understeer. And yes, we'll balanced is faster as compared to understeering OR oversteering car. And there are only a few pros that can drive a truly oversteering car really fast.
2) leaving a car stock and doing tons of track days are by NO means mutually exclusive

Lastly, any slicks will add pace to any car. I know it from my own experience and of course Provoste's times vary GREATLY with even less tire but slicks.
No question, if somebody wants to go faster this is an easiest mod there is. And that's why you were fastest on Trofeos even tho you didn't like them PS Personally I don't like soft sidewalls either BTW. Happy motoring!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 12:58 PM   #31
SaphfireSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE SS
Had to get a tire that wasn't by choice (only thing available in the area when I had a flat) and let me tell you the car hates them. They feel horrible!! RE760 sport 275/30/20's front and Nitto R555 305/30/20's rear. It feels like I'm riding on balloons and there is absolutely no grip in the back in any gear. This car has way too much power for the R555's. I have heard people praise these tires and to be completely honest I cannot, for the life of me, understand why. Thank god they're only temp. Lol
SaphfireSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 12:59 PM   #32
SaphfireSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE SS
My point is DO NOT get these tires. Lol
SaphfireSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:15 PM   #33
WhiteNight

Drives: MB 1SS
Any reason that the NT05s are never brought up in any thread......at all?
WhiteNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:25 AM   #34
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Well said Cem. I only take exception to 2 points:
1) I do drive my car hard and I am yet to be even in a slightest annoyed with any understeer. And yes, we'll balanced is faster as compared to understeering OR oversteering car. And there are only a few pros that can drive a truly oversteering car really fast.
2) leaving a car stock and doing tons of track days are by NO means mutually exclusive

Lastly, any slicks will add pace to any car. I know it from my own experience and of course Provoste's times vary GREATLY with even less tire but slicks.
No question, if somebody wants to go faster this is an easiest mod there is. And that's why you were fastest on Trofeos even tho you didn't like them PS Personally I don't like soft sidewalls either BTW. Happy motoring!
Yes, some pro racers prefer to set their car with a bit of understeer and they manage to go faster also, personal preference. I like it well balanced so I can rotate the car easily and focus on my lines, instead of altering my driving style. I tested the slicks yesterday and they sucked but I improved my PB in a lot warmer day than the last time (about 20F degree). I probably got bad set of rears since it took forever to heat them up.

Quote:
leaving a car stock and doing tons of track days are by NO means mutually exclusive
if money is not an object, why not right?
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote