#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 07-15-2018, 03:10 PM   #29
Larrio Andretti

Drives: Really Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
Haha, oh lord. Here we go. We have another troll among us. You want me post my thread from the Vette Forums? Nah, I'll make you go look for it. You obviously don't know sht about running crap gas in any boosted car and the results from which will happen. Cats are first to go. Of course, there could of been tuning issues related to it, but it WAS due to lower octane gas. I tend to take the word of LMR over some random troll any day. After all, they did the build. Not you, which says alot about you chiming in on something in which you know nothing about. Fk. Got to block another one.
Says the guy who pays people to build his cars!
Old 07-15-2018, 04:16 PM   #30
misterjaayy

Drives: 2019 CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Yea no duh. What's this, like, beginner's engines 101? Come on dude. Don't sit here acting all pretentious. If you wanna use 91 octane and if that is what you recommend then tell it to OP and go about your business. But I don't need your little spiel on "octane is the fuel's"...blah blah blah. Use that garbage in your engine if you want. If you granny drive then you'll be fine. Put that crap in and do some spirited driving and watch your engine blow to kingdom come. All for being cheap and not wanting to spend a few cents more on what you should be putting in the tank in the first place. And for the record, I gave an account of my experiences with it. And I even went on to say that it could have just been the gas out here in NJ. So stop acting like a know-it-all douchebag. Because you don't know, and your advice on 91 octane sound just as ridiculous to me as my "story" sounds to you.

And I don't need "factual information". What, you think I sit around testing every gas station's fuel and datalogging every time I fill up? That is the dumbest shit I ever heard. OP asked advice and I gave that. BTW, do YOU have data to back up your nonsense? Then STFU bro.
That’s a silly thing to say. Do you realize that a lot of states don’t offer 93 or above? GM knows this. If your statement was true, GM would be out of business with warranty claims for blown up motors. Don’t be so dramatic.

With that being said, I don’t understand why people would try and save a few bucks each fill up when you spent 65K+ on a performance car. Put that best gas in you have access to.
misterjaayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:27 PM   #31
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaayy View Post
That’s a silly thing to say. Do you realize that a lot of states don’t offer 93 or above? GM knows this. If your statement was true, GM would be out of business with warranty claims for blown up motors. Don’t be so dramatic.

With that being said, I don’t understand why people would try and save a few bucks each fill up when you spent 65K+ on a performance car. Put that best gas in you have access to.

Well, when you have $7500/mo in car notes, hey, every now and then you need to save a few bux. haha. I'll personally never do it again that's for sure.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:29 PM   #32
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrio Andretti View Post
Says the guy who pays people to build his cars!
Yea and what's wrong with that? I'm sorry, did you think that's something to make fun of someone for? LOL! At least he is getting his car built to over 1000 RWHP. And at least he shares his build with us every step of the way. I would gladly pay someone to do work on my car. I've done my fair share of wrenching when I had little to no money. These days I have way more important things to do than lay under a car for hours on end. I would definitely give money to a professional reputable shop that does good work just like the vast majority of us here. I guess we should all be ashamed of ourselves right? What do you drive again?
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:35 PM   #33
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaayy View Post

It isn't dramatic. How many of those guys in those states mention how crappy their cars perform compared to when they go to other states and use higher octane gas? How many of them get better track times when they add higher octane gas. I'm not saying that it is a definite that the engine will blow with 91 octane gas. But then again, if higher octane gas increases the threshold of detonation, then 91 octane would be more prone to causing catastrophic failure than 93 would. Especially in cases of bad gas or any other of the multitude of things that could cause an issue. If all you have available is 91 octane then personally I would use it but with caution. Or I'd just buy something to mix in the bring the octane up every 2 or 3 fill ups. But if you wanna sit here and argue that 91 octane is actually good or as good as 93 octane then you are sorely mistaken. Sure the ECU is capable of making adjustments for lower octane gas. But overall performance will suffer.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:04 PM   #34
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Wow this is one of the dumbest threads or heated discussions ever. For one thing the 6th gen zl1 has been notorious for running out of fuel so increase octane is a good thing. If you can only use/find 91 then that about all you can do but if you have 93 available “why the fq “ would you not use that? It’s literally rocket science explained in the 6th grade. I say use the best you can and just go for it but if you can use better why wouldn’t you. If it’s a matter of saving about $4 a fill up than Dude by a Honda. I actually have both. Honda Accord using 87 and zl1 using 93. Every tuner or video of these cars getting tuned show that the fuel is the weak point. If you are saying that it doesn’t matter. Well... I don’t know What else to tell you bc you are hard set. In fact I would like if you put 87 in your Z and run it as hard as you can everyday please.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:08 PM   #35
Markoz28

Oh and for the guys that are having someone else build their cars big props! If it was that easy to do everything your self then why would we even buy this car and not build our own to begin with?
Old 07-15-2018, 05:20 PM   #36
Larrio Andretti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
Wow this is one of the dumbest threads or heated discussions ever. For one thing the 6th gen zl1 has been notorious for running out of fuel so increase octane is a good thing. If you can only use/find 91 then that about all you can do but if you have 93 available “why the fq “ would you not use that? It’s literally rocket science explained in the 6th grade. I say use the best you can and just go for it but if you can use better why wouldn’t you. If it’s a matter of saving about $4 a fill up than Dude by a Honda. I actually have both. Honda Accord using 87 and zl1 using 93. Every tuner or video of these cars getting tuned show that the fuel is the weak point. If you are saying that it doesn’t matter. Well... I don’t know What else to tell you bc you are hard set. In fact I would like if you put 87 in your Z and run it as hard as you can everyday please.
Another one. Running out of fuel means volume. A higher octane isn’t going to save you from lean fuel mixture. Really?
Old 07-15-2018, 05:23 PM   #37
misterjaayy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
It isn't dramatic. How many of those guys in those states mention how crappy their cars perform compared to when they go to other states and use higher octane gas? How many of them get better track times when they add higher octane gas. I'm not saying that it is a definite that the engine will blow with 91 octane gas. But then again, if higher octane gas increases the threshold of detonation, then 91 octane would be more prone to causing catastrophic failure than 93 would. Especially in cases of bad gas or any other of the multitude of things that could cause an issue. If all you have available is 91 octane then personally I would use it but with caution. Or I'd just buy something to mix in the bring the octane up every 2 or 3 fill ups. But if you wanna sit here and argue that 91 octane is actually good or as good as 93 octane then you are sorely mistaken. Sure the ECU is capable of making adjustments for lower octane gas. But overall performance will suffer.
I don’t think anyone disagrees that performance will suffer. But spirited driving with 91 will not blow up your engine. That’s ridiculous and that’s all I was saying.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:26 PM   #38
Larrio Andretti

There are a serious amount of “experts” here who have a firm grasp of nothing. The extent of knowledge extends as far as the last forum post they read. Not worth my time responding. But keep posting that expert testimony as it’s a fun read. A word to those who have questions regarding octane please find a reputable source on the internet and read. Don’t expect to come to a forum and listen to people’s opinions based on nothing and think you are getting the facts because your getting fed BS.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:28 PM   #39
misterjaayy

Quote:
I haven’t seen a stock ZL1 run lean from the factory. They usually run rich to error on the side of caution. What does leaning out have to do with octane?
Old 07-15-2018, 05:33 PM   #40
Koldunic

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
I have seen people advocating Shell V-Power over higher octane fuel. And I don’t know why.

That’s why I asked here.
Koldunic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:58 PM   #41
Markoz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldunic View Post
I have seen people advocating Shell V-Power over higher octane fuel. And I don’t know why.

That’s why I asked here.
I’m not sure as I don’t have shell stations by me. Maybe it’s cleaner or has better detergents in it.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:04 PM   #42
Oil Man

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2018 ZL1 A10 (RIPx2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldunic View Post
Is there benefits for gas over 91 octane for a stock LT4?

Where I live I have access to Shell V-Power 91 and Petro-Canada Ultra 94 which I think is like Sunoco 94 in the USA. There is supposed be ethanol in the Ultra 94.

What should I do?

What gas do you feed your beasts?
I live in California, and we have 91 octane.

Thankfully, we also have a handful of stations that sell Sunoco 100 unleaded, or VP 100 unleaded, albeit at $8+/gallon.

I have learned that since the fine print on the pump label says MINIMUM octane rating, and since there could be legal repercussions if a station was found to be selling a product that did not meet the mimimum, a lot of refiners actually blend their premiums closer to 92 than 91. Some insist on it spec'ing out at 92 at the truck rack. That way, if a truck driver loads premium on top of a tank that had some small amount of 87 remaining, the end product will still test out well over 91 octane.

So I will usually buy 2-2.5 gallons of 100 octane and fill the tank the rest of the way with 91. I did this with my '16 2SS as well, but the ZL1 seems MUCH more sensitive to the difference between 91 and 93 than the SS did.
Oil Man is offline   Reply With Quote