Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-18-2007, 02:36 PM   #29
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
L92 is strictly a truck engine...but so was the L76.

I don't know about that, spike...I mean, the 4th gen LS1s were every bit as powerful as the Corvette's LS1, and when modded by SLP for the SS version...they were even stronger. It's a little known fact that a 2002 SS would outdrive a 2002 base vette. The only difference was on paper.

but now, they're doing that SAE certified power thing with all their engines. So fudging the paperwork isn't as easy...

Then you have this:
Quote:
Autoblog: Is there concern about stepping on the Corvette, power-wise?
Ed Peper: No. Because again, the capabilities of a Corvette are world class. I mean, we are talking about a vehicle that competes in the American Le Mans Series with Aston Martins and all –no, there is no concern because what the Camaro is going to be is what it has always been, which is a really great looking vehicle that will have a muscle car or muscle car set of derivatives with it, but that will also have a fuel efficient version. It's a vehicle that you really, really can drive every single day -- a four seater and so forth, while Corvette is in a class all by itself. It's one of our ultimate brands at the company that just continues to do well. We try to keep the production, you know, in line and not build too many so it keeps a very strong demand. The Z06s are some of the fastest turning vehicles that we have.

The dealers just can't get enough of them and, you know, we intentionally in some ways want to keep it that way because we want to make them very, very tight and hard to get and that is what builds a really strong brand.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:27 PM   #30
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by smontana16 View Post
They dont even have a V-8 with less than 400 HP to put in it so it will probably be the LS3. That will be claimed to be detuned to 400 HP but we all know GM does this for paper purposes. They cant have any car listed with more power than the vette. Or it will be a GEN V motor. The only thing I would worry about is them pulling a GTO on us and the first year getting the LS3 then the second year getting the GEN V motor.
The G8's L76 makes 362 hp (362<400) and it is my call for the base V8. If they only offer 1 V8 it will probably be the LS3, but if they offer more than one the L76 is very tempting for use from a fuel economy and cost standpoint.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:32 PM   #31
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
what about the L92?
as far as a "detuned" version from the vette, its almost guaranteed, unless the vette comes out the door with a s/c (which has been rumored for the upper level vette). the camaro has had a 40yr long history of getting a detuned version of the vette motor. tho that is easily taken care of with headers, intake and a tune-up. lol
I agree, as long as history holds true, the Camaro and Vette will have the same motor, with the only difference being more restrictive exhaust, intake and or a different tune on it. I can also almost guarantee that the Camaro will have 400+ hp.
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:20 PM   #32
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
L92 is strictly a truck engine...but so was the L76.

I don't know about that, spike...I mean, the 4th gen LS1s were every bit as powerful as the Corvette's LS1, and when modded by SLP for the SS version...they were even stronger. It's a little known fact that a 2002 SS would outdrive a 2002 base vette. The only difference was on paper.

but now, they're doing that SAE certified power thing with all their engines. So fudging the paperwork isn't as easy...

Then you have this:

the LS1 camaros were basically on par with the ls1 vettes, but you start taking an SS camaro comparing it to a Stock vette, thats the difference, the ss is tuned from the factory and by SLP to get every bit of hp from the engine. but if you remember that the 2002 SS's also weren't just an LS1, they had the LS6 intake and a few other LS6 mods.

but like i said if you are comparing a base vette to an SS camaro, its not really fair. that comparison should be equal, but compare an SS to a Z06 and tell me where you stand.

and the l92 engine is a vortech truck engine, but you throw a set of l92 heads on an ls engine and stand back for some wicked performance.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:25 AM   #33
$¢'s 5th Gen

Drives: SUV & Chaparral
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
but like i said if you are comparing a base vette to an SS camaro, its not really fair. that comparison should be equal, but compare an SS to a Z06 and tell me where you stand.
Well, now adays, you cant. You are talking 2 completely different engines. The vette will always be faster unless you are comparing the top Camaro against the base Vette. Back in 69, the Yenko aluminum 427 was and still is the fastest production Camaro ever. It was a high 11 sec Camaro, almost as fast as todays ZO6
$¢'s 5th Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:45 AM   #34
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
Quote:
Originally Posted by swazworth View Post
deal breaker-> the car looks great on tv and in pics. but if it looks like a plastic toy-> sorry-> i have on of those already. my scion xb 2005. nothing else even worries me.
That is exactly what I would be worried about.

It just seems WAY too good to be true, that a car will be built that does not end up looking cheap or comical.

Example: the newest mustang DID NOT look as good as the show car in the front or the Back. It even STILL does not look that good in the front or back EVEN as a Shelby model. The back looks like a FLAT wall with some flat lights on it. The front could have looked better regarding where they put the turn signals (i.e. see mustang show car).

It just seems like the tride and true REAL beautiful cars are the ones that rolled off assembly lines in the 60's.

What is SO HARD and COMPLICATED about releasing a rear quarter panel that has curves on it like a 67 GTO, or 67 Camaro or 67 Vette?

The 2010 Camaro DOES COME VERY close to having this quarter panel (as I clearly examined the Bumblebee show car has). Now THAT is style.

The new mustang (just using this for reference) is MISSING curves everywhere. the back is flat. the sides are FLAT. the hood is a square FLAT shape. If the car is NOT going to be aerodynamic in the first place (when you look at the front ends of the new mustang, new camaro, and new challenger), then go ahead and go ALL THE WAY and don't be so fussy about everything else.

I sense the new Camaro is going to have a windshield like a 2001 Vette. (very raked). so raked, it is NOT looking like an old camaro anymore.

I am just still waiting for this "blast from the past" design to be released by ANYONE. The one who is doing this the closest, is the Challenger. Despite being a heavyweight car, at least they were not afraid to put those COKE BOTTLE shaped quarter panels on there. (this car is dripping with Style, though everyone knows it probably won't be that fast), but at least they are making a real effort to make something look special or exotic.

I am thinking...Please do not make the back of the Camaro like the back of the new mustang (flat, with a flat lens glued onto it). what happened to back lights that are stacked, or have depth (68 mustang, 68 camaro, 70 dodge charger). some back lights look like a REFLECTOR.

Yes install the V8 AND 6 speed. And make the car WORTH the 30K we will be more than willing to spend. (For once, maybe people will STOP making fun of people who drive Camaros because they look too cheap).
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:02 AM   #35
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I can't say I've ever heard anybody make fun of a Camaro...EVER. Probably because they were ricers or something, not worthy of my time and patience.

But the "blast from the past" you speak of, was not the goal of the 5th gen. They wanted a new car. Not an unGodly clone of what it used to be, like the Challenger

They say you can't tell the difference between production, and the concept. I trust them.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:27 AM   #36
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:

But the "blast from the past" you speak of, was not the goal of the 5th gen. They wanted a new car. Not an unGodly clone of what it used to be, like the Challenger
I'm glad Chevy went with more modern styling. If I want a 69 Camaro, I'll buy a real 69 Camaro. Same with the Challenger. If you want something that looks exactly like a 1970 Challenger, then buy a real 1970 Challenger. This is 2007, and we want a fully modern pony car. Sure the design reflects the Camaro heritage and pays tribute to the great 69, but it isn't retro.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:19 PM   #37
Mike88

Drives: 94 Camaro, 05 Magnum
Quote:
Oh, but they can have a car with more power than the vette...And they've said it wasn't a worry.

I haven't heard that the LS3 will be 'detuned'...but as for other possible V8, have you heard of the L76? Currently it's in the G8. Just thinking aloud.
Despite the comments from GM execs/designers that it won't matter if the camaro has more HP than the Vette, has anyone else taken the base Corvette getting 30+ HP for 08 as an indication that the base V8 Camaro will get at least 400 HPs? Regardless of what they say it just seems to me like they're prepping the base Corvette this year for a new younger sibling next year. Just a thought.
Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:04 PM   #38
Good53X

Drives: 1988Nissan Pulsar (meh,beater)
I thoroughly enjoy everything I've seen and/or read about the vehicle thus far.

The only thing that would 'break the deal', would be taking it for a test-drive, and finding it bland, boring, slow... un-enjoyable. I *severely* doubt it, but there's always a chance that something about the feel of the car just won't click with me.

It would be a sad, sad day, but it's possible. Nothing short of that will keep me from my Camaro.
Good53X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:27 PM   #39
lq30

Drives: Looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
price for sure. I'll be fresh out of college, paying of college loans, making bottom edge salary for my field (a well paying field, but still the bottom edge of that) and my Cobalt will probably have pretty low trade-in value at that point, so cost is a big, big concern.
Same here. Price is my only concern (barring a catastrophe with the front and back end design which I very much doubt will happen). I'm sure performance and power will all be there too.
lq30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:16 PM   #40
daddyseth1

Drives: 94 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Price would definitely be a deal breaker for me. If I do my research and find that my dealer is gouging the price, Im walking .

Also, if the look of the production steers too far away from the concept's look( based on the latest spy pics it doesn't seem that is has) then I would definitely be a CTS man then. Because can you say GT-NOO!
daddyseth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:56 PM   #41
Zyreal
Long Arm

Drives: Dodge Neon
I can't believe I'm the first to mention this, but I'm 6'5"....I'm horribly worried that I won't fit.

Barring that, price and power.

My backup choice I already know I like. (Black Dodge Charger SRT-8) (I've driven it quite a bit) (It's the car in my picture, well, different colors and minus some...additions =P)
Zyreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:18 PM   #42
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Sh*ty gas mileage for the base V8, that's it.