Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-29-2010, 08:23 PM   #4075
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Ok, I have to fly to Germany on Saturday. Problem is I have a HUGE fear of flying. I'm at the Dr. office now waiting to see if he has a magic prescription he can give me.

I've flown many times including Asia twice and Germany several Years ago.

Has anyone successfully overcome a fear of flying? Any suggestions?
My Dad was a WW II B-25 pilot. He was issued a small Bible by the base Chaplain Biddle at the San Antonio Cadet School when he started flight training. He carried it on every flight. When I started flying for business 20 years ago he gave it to me. "Everyone who has ever flown with this Bible has walked away safely. There were some hard landings, but everyone walked away."

I was on a commercial flight a few years ago. There was a family seated in the row in front of me from window to window. From the bits of conversation I i heard it was clear it was the first time they had been on a plane. The girl directly in front of me was 10 or 12 years old. She was really excited to be flying to Florida. As the plane started to taxi she became upset, terrified. She started calling across the aisle Daddy, Daddy, Daddy! Daddy was in the center seat with younger children on either side. he tried to reach over to hold her hand but couldn't quite get there.

I got out of my seat, went into the overhead and retrieved my Dad's Bible. I handed it to the young lady and told here what my dad had told me. She held on to the Bible until we landed in Orlando. She gave it back to me. She said thank you. Then she handed me some candy and gave me a hug.

It won't work for everyone, but her fear of flying was put to rest with a small book.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:44 PM   #4076
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
My Dad was a WW II B-25 pilot. He was issued a small Bible by the base Chaplain Biddle at the San Antonio Cadet School when he started flight training. He carried it on every flight. When I started flying for business 20 years ago he gave it to me. "Everyone who has ever flown with this Bible has walked away safely. There were some hard landings, but everyone walked away."

I was on a commercial flight a few years ago. There was a family seated in the row in front of me from window to window. From the bits of conversation I i heard it was clear it was the first time they had been on a plane. The girl directly in front of me was 10 or 12 years old. She was really excited to be flying to Florida. As the plane started to taxi she became upset, terrified. She started calling across the aisle Daddy, Daddy, Daddy! Daddy was in the center seat with younger children on either side. he tried to reach over to hold her hand but couldn't quite get there.

I got out of my seat, went into the overhead and retrieved my Dad's Bible. I handed it to the young lady and told here what my dad had told me. She held on to the Bible until we landed in Orlando. She gave it back to me. She said thank you. Then she handed me some candy and gave me a hug.

It won't work for everyone, but her fear of flying was put to rest with a small book.
Thanks for sharing that. I have a special prayer I say before every take off and it helps. It just doesn't help the anxiety.:(
Old 11-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #4077
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Thanks for sharing that. I have a special prayer I say before every take off and it helps. It just doesn't help the anxiety.:(
Just don't look out the window....the wings can be kind of freaky to watch in the turbulence of the air.

Ah, the thrust is pure bliss, though....I can't imagine why...
I love the roar and forces on your body as the plane accelerates and decelerates.

I'm sure you know, statistically planes are very safe. Big breaths, and lots of pretzels will get you through it.

Safe travels!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #4078
Mark H

Drives: 04 Denali
Many, many years ago the very first time I ever was in an airplane I had to jump out of it.
82nd airborne

But Officer, I swear its just a vacuum leak.

Those red things? those are smog pumps!

2004 Sierra Denali ----- 2/4 drop
LSX 438 TWIN TURBO

LSX Block Video
Block number 00370. Build Date 04/17/2007
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:07 PM   #4079
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
If the plane has this your good to go.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #4080
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Ha!!!! If all it took was a beer I'd be home free.

And in this case, Germany does not mean the 'ring.
Doing something with Opel then? I hear a Calibra might be on its way.

Just close your eyes and pretend you're in a ZR1.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #4081
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I'm sure you know, statistically planes are very safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
If the plane has this your good to go....

Um. A-heh, heh.....*looks away*.....

Commercial Planes are very safe.....

Old 11-29-2010, 09:20 PM   #4082
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Um. A-heh, heh.....*looks away*.....

Commercial Planes are very safe.....

Quote:
An official investigation into a May airplane incident in India reveals just how close a co-pilot came to killing 113 passengers aboard a commuter jet. And it all started with a bathroom break.

From Australian News:

An Indian co-pilot sent an international passenger jet into a terrifying nosedive when he adjusted his seat and accidentally pushed the control column forward, an official report reveals.

When the captain, 39, got back into the cockpit, he shouted, “What are you doing?” as cabin crew ordered the 113 terrified passengers to fasten their seatbelts.

The 25-year-old co-pilot told the inquiry he had “got in a panic situation, couldn’t control the aircraft or … open the cockpit door and answer the cabin call.”

The captain only saved the Boeing 737 aircraft after using an emergency code to get through the cockpit door and take the controls back from the co-pilot, the report by India’s Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) said.

The clumsy officer then panicked and was unable to let the captain, who had gone on a toilet break, back into the cockpit as the plane plunged 2000 metres.

The report said there was “complete commotion” in the cabin and that passengers were “very much scared and were shouting loudly” as the plane dived steeply and boxes and liquor bottles fell into the aisle.

The Air India Express flight was flying at 37,000 feet from Dubai to Pune airport, in western India, on May 26 when the near-disaster occurred. No one was injured.

According to the report, the nosedive was “due to the co-pilot adjusting his seat forward and inadvertently pressing the control column forward.”

The plane fell 610m before the captain got back into the cockpit – and another 1520mt as he struggled with the panicking co-pilot.

According to the report, the pilot tried to cover up the incident by telling passengers the plane had hit an air pocket.
As long as the captain dos not go out of the cockpit.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:22 PM   #4083
JusticePete

Quote:
Good luck on your flight. There will be more than one person that has you in their prayers for your trip.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:22 PM   #4084
Mr. Wyndham

You're really not making this easy, are you?
Old 11-29-2010, 09:22 PM   #4085
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
An official investigation into a May airplane incident in India reveals just how close a co-pilot came to killing 113 passengers aboard a commuter jet. And it all started with a bathroom break.
What the hell? The guy's having enough trouble getting on the damn plane and you aren't helping.

I swear, some people.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:20 PM   #4086
hairtrigger

Drives: 69 Chevelle SS396 2013 ZL1
I'm more afraid of the alleged junk pat down if you decline the xray glasses scan! yikes
In reality thousands of flights occur every day of the week with no issues. Planes want to be in the air flying.
hairtrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:29 AM   #4087
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
I fix planes for a living. you'd be surprised what could go wrong and you're still fine. so. . .lets just say as long as the flight attendants are up and doing the normal thing there is nothing to worry about. it's when they are told to sit down and lock in you should be afraid, if you aren't landing or taking off, of course.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:53 AM   #4088
JusticePete

Back to the House of A to Z.

If I were a betting man, I would be betting that Chevrolet will have an interesting announcement at the Detroit Auto Show. This is based on my cup of tea last night. I read the leaves... but they didn't say what the announcement would be.

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, thread for the zed, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014