Old 10-01-2018, 09:24 PM   #15
Nitefall17

Drives: Camaro 1SS A8 Vert
Winds not bad at 105 ....LOL
Nitefall17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:45 PM   #16
CyberGuyPR

Drives: '16 vert 2LT RS NPP
People experiencing stuff in your face, are you driving the vert into a tornado? 2 years into my vert I haven't seen this happen. Am I doing it wrong?
CyberGuyPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:47 PM   #17
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Having the optional windscreen behind the seats blocks a lot of air from blowing on the back of your head. In cold weather you can put up the windows but that doesn't look very good. Last resort to keep from having to put the top up.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:22 PM   #18
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Ya I don’t get the wind and dust and bugs in the face.

Maybe whoever posted that is 7’2”??

Now I will say I had a Miata and my head was up in the air stream and that was annoying
But not the case with the Camaro. I’m 6’
I suppose somebody over 6’6” might have that issue.

I do have the rear windscreen. That helps. But even without it the wind isn’t bad at all especially with windows up. We have driven 4 hours to Santa Barbera with top down the whole way. If it’s mid day and it’s really hot I will put the top up occcasilnally especially on a longer road trip. But daily driving and local trips are great with top always down. Only way to go. I love it. I have a Porsche Panamera if I really want to hide from the sun and drive in peace and quiet. It’s an amazing car that I love driving. But I grab the Camaro keys more often than not unless it’s over 90 or under 60 or raining.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:01 AM   #19
RJK

Drives: 2018 LT Convertible
Going topless is like not using a condom, can’t ever imagine using one again.
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:26 AM   #20
Driski

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Yes, I feel sorry for non convertible owners. I always said, if I ever owned a sports car I would want a Pop Top. If you are going to do it, go all the way! It is the best of both worlds.

Drsagacity - Yup, your car is BAD ASS! Some day I may get there.

As far as highway driving, just (August) took a two day trip to Tail of the Dragon in 80 - 90 deg. temps. Loved every minute of it with the top down all the way (no bugs, no more dust or noise than if i had the windows open, turned on the AC when the heat to be to much). To boot, the car performs like a beast on the trail and it is bone stock.

It is rare that I don't get thumbs up, nice car, or even, just the other day, "I like that better than the Corvette". People even try to convince me and say, "I love your car, no really, that car is nice". This is not why I bought the car... but, is is fun to hear.

Now we get to put on a sweat shirt and take some east coast foliage tours. All I can say to the coupe owners is, You Poor Bastards... you don't know what you are missing!

Hey, just having a laugh. All the cars are great and fun to drive.

Last edited by Driski; 10-02-2018 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Keeping it light
Driski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:37 AM   #21
Ataru074

Drives: '17 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Going topless is like not using a condom, can’t ever imagine using one again.
I did a road trip with my Z4 a while back, Houston to Yosemite and few stops in between. Sunscreen, and most of the time the top was down.

After renting the Camaro vert in Portland one month ago and going top down on the coast, on the mountains, and pretty much everywhere else, I decided to buy one.

It's my daily driver in San Antonio and the top is down unless it's raining hard. The only major defect is that with some rain the rear bench gets wet, on the Z4 I was able to travel under the rain with the windows closed and the top down if I was going above 60mph without getting a drop in my face.

But that's just me . :-)
Ataru074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:01 AM   #22
Silverwing

Drives: Yellow 2018 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsagacity View Post
I would love to see how bugs, dust or anything happen to hit your face when driving. In fact if you have 30 mile per hour winds which are thrown up and over the top of the driver seat so the front seat gets very little wind...buffeting can happen as it swirls from the back to the front..I would love to know how insects made it through the wind tunnel...must have been a ton of bugs.

I was driving on the hwy today talking on Bluetooth....so, it’s safe to say, your experience is unique. If you can’t hear the radio, it’s not loud enough. If you can hear other cars then either:

a. your car isn’t fast enough or
b. your music isn’t loud enough.

I generally have to turn my music down so that I can hear my own car (since it’s bad ass). Driving around town with top off talking on Bluetooth is clear for both sides, which means your impression of noise is interesting.

You are right about the hot sun at a stoplight. That is definitely a first world problem and the struggle is real. Fortunately, we have the tools to address the problem built in. If it’s hot outside, you turn the ac and seat cooler on. If it’s getting cold, heater and seat heater.

If I were daily driving the car, I might agree with you. . .but I don’t...and I didn’t ask if vert owners felt sorry for coupe owners in crappy weather.
A sunny day is crappy weather?

Hey, I'm glad your enjoying your vert. As I said it wasn't for me.

But it's your car and what matters is the fact that YOU like it.
Silverwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:58 AM   #23
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Dont feel sorry for me guys. Been there done that. Would rather have T-tops or a one piece top like the vette.
I will say though, if I was ever inclind to buy another vert it would be a Gen6 Camaro. They did a great job with it. Love how the top works ,and they still look good even with the top up.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:10 PM   #24
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
I'll give your post a free bump so you're fellow vert owners can chime in.

I feel no sorrow not having a convertible. I don't like the sun and wind beating on me. The convertible top almost always ruins the lines of the car as well.

There - that should get everyone fired up. Carry on.
Almost always. This is true of Corvette and Mustang, but Camaro is one of those rare designs that translates very well from coupe to vert. Both Corvette and Mustang lose the cool fastback profile, but the Camaro lines come through strong with the top up for 1st, 5th, and 6th gen.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Last edited by Martinjlm; 10-03-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:21 PM   #25
nelsont

Drives: 2018 2SS Hot Wheels Convertible
Don't care what others think- each to their own.
Blind spots in the Coupes are bad, but I came from riding motorcycles so the Vert. was a natural progression.
Beauty of the vert is you have a choice, depending on the weather or your mood. I like having a choice!

Tim
nelsont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:39 PM   #26
danbrew

Drives: 18 2SS A8
I almost always ride around with the top down. The only time the top goes up is when I park somewhere (including the garage), or if there is light rain. I took about a 1000 mile trip a few weeks after I bought the car and from Chicago to Nashville the top was down the whole way - it was awesome. There was a ton of rain the 2nd day and the top was up most of the way from Nashville to SC - in fact the rain was so bad, I actually pulled over a few times and took some breaks. The hydroplaning was a little beyond my comfort level, yet that's another thread in and of itself.

I hear a lot of people say that the visibility of the Camaro is poor - true, but I fail to see how that's really relevant for an experienced driver. I won't change lanes unless I'm certain there's nobody in the next lane - I monitor traffic and know what's around me at all times, I speed up/slow down, use mirrors, etc. Granted, the lane change radar is nice, but I never depend upon that by itself. You just can't beat situational awareness.
danbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:11 AM   #27
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Nope don’t feel sorry for the other side. I’d be very happy owning both, a Camaro hard top as well as my convertible.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:58 AM   #28
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Every time my wife rides in the camaro she questions why I didn't get a vert and an automatic. There are days when a vert would be nice. When I get the opportunity to line up with drsag I may regret getting the m6!
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote