#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-10-2015, 12:56 PM   #15
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
Unfortunately and sadly these are the last real years of the horsepower wars between companies! I hope I am wrong, but the days of high horsepower cars are limited. I think it is absolutely absurd, but we might be having to hold onto these types of cars. The day I buy an electric car is the day I start walking everywhere! lol!
I don't see the horsepower wars ending anytime soon. More turbos maybe used in the future but horsepower is here to stay.

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:04 PM   #16
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Electricity may not come from thin air, but nuclear, wind and hydro could be considered sources, as well as fossil.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:06 PM   #17
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
Electricity may not come from thin air, but nuclear, wind and hydro could be considered sources, as well as fossil.

Laborsmith
Yes you are right...I am for all of the above!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:40 PM   #18
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
flux capacitor with 1.21 gigawatts! If you're going to dream, dream big
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:50 PM   #19
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpmotorsports View Post
Those of us old enough to remember said the exact same thing back in 1972
you mean SINCE 1972.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:05 PM   #20
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
Quote:
Seriously??? Everything! The best is that people think they are "saving the planet" by using them. People think electricity just grows on trees or comes from thin air, it is produced from.........Fossil fuels!

No thanks, will continue to drive my gasoline engine cars!
No need to worry too much, we'll still have performance cars in the electric age. Look at the Tesla P85D and what the hypercars are doing with a hybrid design / electric motors. Crazy performance. I'm more worried about autonomous cars and lawmakers making it illegal to drive your own car.
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:13 PM   #21
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Seriously??? Everything! The best is that people think they are "saving the planet" by using them. People think electricity just grows on trees or comes from thin air, it is produced from.........Fossil fuels!

No thanks, will continue to drive my gasoline engine cars!
First of all, even when the electricity is generated using fossil fuels it still uses signifiantly less fossil fuels than everyone using an internal combustion engine. Why, because the electricity generation is typically done on a massive scale. Imagine how much more fossil fuels we would use if every house had to generate it's own electricity using fossil fuels. Plus, much of our electricity comes from non-fossil fuel technology.

Second, eventually elecitric will be better performance anyway. Did you know an electric motor produces 100% of it's torque at 0 RPM? What internal combustion engine are you going to build that does that? Take a look at what Tesla is doing. The largest most powerful locomotive engines have been using electric motors since the late 40's (yes the electricity is produced using a diesel powered generator, but there are electric motors in each wheel). Most folks think of them as diesel locomotives, but they are diesel/electric hybrid technology. Always has been since the end of the steam engine.

That being said, I'm still buying a V8

Third, strong regulations won't end the V8 or performance cars. There have been tough regulations all along, and those can change when they become less achievable. I used to seriously think there I would see the end of the V8 engine throughout the 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, etc. BUT, did you know that Hyndai and Kia produces a V8 engines? As long as folks like us want V8's, they will be here for us. We might have to pay a gas guzzler tax or some other penalty, and there may be less of them on the road, but they will still be available.

So in the end, don't fret, just buy a V8 (whichever one you like), and be happy.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:36 PM   #22
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
First of all, even when the electricity is generated using fossil fuels it still uses signifiantly less fossil fuels than everyone using an internal combustion engine. Why, because the electricity generation is typically done on a massive scale. Imagine how much more fossil fuels we would use if every house had to generate it's own electricity using fossil fuels. Plus, much of our electricity comes from non-fossil fuel technology.

Second, eventually elecitric will be better performance anyway. Did you know an electric motor produces 100% of it's torque at 0 RPM? What internal combustion engine are you going to build that does that? Take a look at what Tesla is doing. The largest most powerful locomotive engines have been using electric motors since the late 40's (yes the electricity is produced using a diesel powered generator, but there are electric motors in each wheel). Most folks think of them as diesel locomotives, but they are diesel/electric hybrid technology. Always has been since the end of the steam engine.

That being said, I'm still buying a V8

Third, strong regulations won't end the V8 or performance cars. There have been tough regulations all along, and those can change when they become less achievable. I used to seriously think there I would see the end of the V8 engine throughout the 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, etc. BUT, did you know that Hyndai and Kia produces a V8 engines? As long as folks like us want V8's, they will be here for us. We might have to pay a gas guzzler tax or some other penalty, and there may be less of them on the road, but they will still be available.

So in the end, don't fret, just buy a V8 (whichever one you like), and be happy.
Oh I am buying a V8 and going to love every second of it! I know all about electric cars and how they work, just not appealing at all to me...oh and actually just an FYI, about 70% of our electricity comes from fossil fuels. More of that should come from Nuclear, but sadly with regulations, not a lot of nuclear power plants have been built in the last 30 - 40 years here.

Listen, I hope I am wrong, really do. I hope my 8 year old is able to enjoy big horsepower V8's like I do when he is able to drive and afford a nice car like the Camaro, because he sure is excited about my SS that is coming soon!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:34 PM   #23
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
The killer is... The more EV cars on the road the higher the gas prices are going to go. This is happening in California as we speak and is starting to happen in other states.

The Government wants cars that can go further and has guidelines the industry must follow. The states thrive off gas taxes and every gallon we use fills their coffers. Now that some states have had such a massive up tick in EV's, less gas is being purchased and BAM! Now they are seeing less tax revenues. How has they fixed this? Raise the cost of gas and apply more taxes effectively putting the hurt on EV and non EV drivers.

Just yesterday, California was trying to impose a cut of 50% of oil used in the state and regulate drivers on how much gas they can buy to achieve this goal. I have never been so happy to see my state join together and say **** off to the state legislature.

I need to move out of this crazy state....
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:10 PM   #24
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
maybe it is just me but I would rather see a 600 hp 3300lb car than a 700 hp 3800lb car. or 4500lb like the car I have on the way haha.

if they could ever keep from making cars fatter they don't have to make them 700hp.

my 450whp z06 would have destroyed my 500whp Zl1. even when I was ~582whp I really didn't trap any higher and was harder to launch.

I really think my buddies 540whp z06 will be faster than this hellcat.

I still think it is awesome they make 700hp cars now stock though ha ha but you only need it because the cars are soooo heavy.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:50 PM   #25
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
maybe it is just me but I would rather see a 600 hp 3300lb car than a 700 hp 3800lb car. or 4500lb like the car I have on the way haha.

if they could ever keep from making cars fatter they don't have to make them 700hp.

my 450whp z06 would have destroyed my 500whp Zl1. even when I was ~582whp I really didn't trap any higher and was harder to launch.

I really think my buddies 540whp z06 will be faster than this hellcat.

I still think it is awesome they make 700hp cars now stock though ha ha but you only need it because the cars are soooo heavy.
The winning formula is a mix of both Gasoline motors and electric motors working together. The LaFerrari is the best sample of this and good lord it is an amazing machine.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:04 PM   #26
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
And at $1.2 million, a buy. Not a steal but a buy.

Only problem, you have to be invited to buy one. WTF!?

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:21 PM   #27
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Tesla's are great cars, but they still lack in some key areas - take for instance the fact that a Tesla couldn't make it around Nurburgring under full power.

But, they are wicked quick and probably very fun to drive.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:52 PM   #28
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
And at $1.2 million, a buy. Not a steal but a buy.

Only problem, you have to be invited to buy one. WTF!?

Laborsmith
Well I did say winning formula. Now if other manufactures can take learnings for this car and a few others and apply it to their builds and ideas.

I think the BMW i8 does this as well.

But overall using electric power to fill the gaps where the gasoline motor is lacking is fairly cool technology.