Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-14-2015, 08:28 PM   #15
MDR1LE

Drives: 15' 2SS/RS/1LE
Anyone do this yet on a completely stock set up with stock injectors, clutch, rear, etc...
Thinking about doing the same thing and it would be just for the street, no track time. Was wondering how much life the clutch and rear would have with base set up making 600rwhp
MDR1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:52 PM   #16
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDR1LE View Post
Anyone do this yet on a completely stock set up with stock injectors, clutch, rear, etc...
Thinking about doing the same thing and it would be just for the street, no track time. Was wondering how much life the clutch and rear would have with base set up making 600rwhp
I know for sure having started out like that. You will need a tune and injectors. Don't scrimp here go with a good set like Injector Dynamics. You will also need an ADM pump controller or an upgraded fuel pump around 600 and over RWHP.

You can go with stock everything else, including the LS3, and make some good power up to around 650 RWHP spending around $10k. If you drive the car easy no problem. But then what is the point? One you start pushing your car you will need a diff setup and a twin disc clutch. Plan on around $7,500 for those 2 minimum. Then there is suspension work to do.

You can save $2-3K if you DIY, but unless you really know what you are doing you need a pro tune.

Really I think $20K is about the minimum for a well set up FI 1LE.

With the above you have have a 1LE that is faster in the 1/4 and on the track than a stock ZL1. But you will not have MR and your 1LE will be worth about $15K less than a same year ZL1. The math doesn't make sense. If you do it, do it for the fun of doing it. But be ready for some disappointments.

Last edited by Fraxum; 07-15-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:05 PM   #17
MDR1LE

Drives: 15' 2SS/RS/1LE
yea im just looking for something to mess around with on the street, no track time and definitely not beating up too bad. Is the rear really that weak? I had a twin turbo lightning pushing 1000+ to the tires on a stock rear and never an issue!
MDR1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:59 PM   #18
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDR1LE View Post
yea im just looking for something to mess around with on the street, no track time and definitely not beating up too bad. Is the rear really that weak? I had a twin turbo lightning pushing 1000+ to the tires on a stock rear and never an issue!
The rear and marginally the clutch is good for 425 crank HP. At 600 to the wheels you are about 250 over that. You might be fine or one day you might need a flatbed. I would get the high end AAA package. The cheapest worthwhile upgrade is about $5k for the ZL1 driveshaft/axle/diff setup including install.

At 615 RWHP I torched my posi just launching smoothly with DRs. If you dump the clutch with a stock LS3 you can break the axles and or the diff. You may get a way with it, but you are rolling the dice at that power level. However if you stick to 4-5 pounds you will be around 525 RWHP, a more safe number.

Since turbos usually do not have much low end you should be okay if you are careful. Also if you go small ball bearing turbos you will get great response and the car will be fast enough to be exciting. However at that power level going cam or possibly heads/cam the upgrade will be much cheaper and equally as fast as a turbo setup at 4-5 pounds. And you will not be adding ant weight to the car which will degrade the great 1LE handling.

Tags
1le, boosted, turbo, twin turbo camaro