The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 04-10-2014, 08:41 PM   #15
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
My current carry. Love this thing. Kershaw shallot, 3.5" blade, assisted open. Freaks people out.

Love kershaw for there value:quality ratio! Beautiful knife.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:42 PM   #16
13lstuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock on View Post
This is a Schrade that my grandfather (1903-1970) carried and my father(1927-2009) it has been sharpened down nothing still has a good edge I keep it in my safe
Great knife! It does look to have almost no belly left to sharpen.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #17
13lstuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
Can I play?

I am a knife guy, but through a few moves over the years maybe misplaced my Gerbers. Anyway, the two on the stand in the pic are cheap Chinese made hollow blades I got in Chinatown in San Francisco just for decoration(Ancient Warrior brand I think). Don't try and chop a beer bottle with them no matter how many beers you've had. The blade takes more damage than the bottle.

The one not on the stand is, according to the antique shop in New Orleans I got it at, a WW2 Japanese officer's sword. So not some super collectible item that was crafted by a master sword maker, but definitely nicer than the cheapos above it.

It's possible someone that knows what they are talking about might have more to say from the pics.

Don't forget my Thai Buddha on the right in the wide shot. My brother brought it to me from Thailand, although like everything else it was probably made in China.
I have no knowledge of swords but they look good!
Old 04-10-2014, 08:47 PM   #18
13lstuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrulie View Post
I carry a Spyderco Endura
Stainless Steel
Blade Steel: VG-10
Blade Thick: 1/8"(3mm)
Hole Diam.: 17/32"(13mm)
Blade Length: 3 7/8"(98mm)
Closed Length: 4 7/8"(124mm)
Cutting Edge: 3 7/16"(88mm)
Overall Length: 8 3/4"(222mm)
Weight: 5 5/8oz(161g)
Hardness: Rc 57-58
I carried a black handled straight edged endura for 3 months. Excellent knife! Very thin and it rides in the pocket extremely well. I traded it for a cold steel recon 1 large. Hated that knife compared to the endura. The lock up is the strongest of the folding knife community but that's all it has going for it.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #19
13lstuner

Quote:
Knife that's always by my side. 8.5" blade with full tang. Only knife I've ever owned that can put up with my had it for years, beat the hell out of all the time. Still as good as the day I bought it. Want another.

Looks like an excellent knife. What is the blade steel on it? And how is that beautiful tiger stripe patterned coating holding up through your abuse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratfinkharley View Post
The one knife that I DON'T carry was my uncle's from when he returned from WWII.

[IMG][/IMG]
Beautiful knives!
What model is that spyderco?
Old 04-10-2014, 08:54 PM   #20
Unrulie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Cyber Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13lstuner View Post
I carried a black handled straight edged endura for 3 months. Excellent knife! Very thin and it rides in the pocket extremely well. I traded it for a cold steel recon 1 large. Hated that knife compared to the endura. The lock up is the strongest of the folding knife community but that's all it has going for it.
I also have a black composite handled Endura 50/50 Spyder edge. I love these knives. I've even talked my sister into carrying one
Old 04-10-2014, 09:03 PM   #21
13lstuner

Quote:
I also have a black composite handled Endura 50/50 Spyder edge. I love these knives. I've even talked my sister into carrying one
I hate most serrations and spydys are no exception, but no matter what you do they will always cut! So that's a great reason to have them!
Old 04-10-2014, 09:15 PM   #22
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
This thread makes me want a knife. Lost my Sog Flash II
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:26 PM   #23
Unrulie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Cyber Grey
Quote:
I hate most serrations and spydys are no exception, but no matter what you do they will always cut! So that's a great reason to have them!
I like the 50/50 edge. Kinda the best of both worlds. I cut many things, including nylon straps. With the serrated edge it's never an issue. I got hooked on spyderco's by a girl coworker years ago that recognized the knife I was carrying in my pocket was a Gerber, as I walked passed her desk. It made me stop in my tracks to say Huh. Turns out she worked as a knife dealer previously.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #24
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Looks like an excellent knife. What is the blade steel on it? And how is that beautiful tiger stripe patterned coating holding up through your abuse?

Holding up pretty good. (I originally planned to stick it in the 2x6 shown, but when I hit it, it split it. )

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  122.5 KB

Here's some stats

Quote:
The Smith and Wesson Model CKSURC Homeland Security Fixed Blade Knife features an 8.25" modified tanto blade made of 440C stainless steel. The blade has a camo Titanium powder coat, scalloped spine, and the Smith & Wesson Homeland Security etch. The CKSURC Knife has Full Tang Construction, with Black G10 Handle Scales, integral cross guard and lanyard hole. Includes a heavy duty nylon sheath with D-ring, lashing slots and a sharping stone. The Smith and Wesson Model CKSURC Knife is 13.75" overall and weighs 17.5 ounces.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #25
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
The majority of my knives are made by Parker Brothers. I have one Kershaw, and the one is the beonet from my ar-15. Believe it or not the silver survivor knife if I purchased from harbor freight tools for about $6 and it even has a compass in the end. Most of these knives are about 30 years old.

Name:  IMG_20140410_230922_859.jpg
Views: 1651
Size:  98.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20140410_231342_347.jpg
Views: 1107
Size:  77.9 KB
Old 04-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #26
13lstuner

Quote:
I like the 50/50 edge. Kinda the best of both worlds. I cut many things, including nylon straps. With the serrated edge it's never an issue. I got hooked on spyderco's by a girl coworker years ago that recognized the knife I was carrying in my pocket was a Gerber, as I walked passed her desk. It made me stop in my tracks to say Huh. Turns out she worked as a knife dealer previously.
Very nice I do agree that serrations are great for that! Lovely knifes. And honestly I think spydercos are the underrated knife of the knife world. Everyone knows about kershaw, gerber, SOG etc. but spyderco hasn't been picked up by retailers yet, so there economy line with the tenacious and others they would be HIT sellers in Walmart and I'm sure the delica(which is a f'n amazing edc knife. 2.2 oz and paper thin are you kidding me??) and endura would be great sellers too just not on par with their economy line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
This thread makes me want a knife. Lost my Sog Flash II
I LOVE the way sog does there aus8 steel.. Excellent work with that steel, I think it's the best aus8 of the knife world.. Some competition to the sog flash 2 that you might wanna look into:
Spyderco endura(if all you want to carry a knife for is to cut things and not self defense don't even remotely hesitate buy this knife)
Spyderco tenacious
SOG flashback
Kershaw lineup of knives.
SOG zoom is just amazing
And the trusty ol' sog trident is going great after 4 years of absolute hell.
Quote:
Holding up pretty good. (I originally planned to stick it in the 2x6 shown, but when I hit it, it split it. )

Attachment 615703

Here's some stats
Dude that is one sexy ass knife... 8.5" tanto blade??? And the spine is sharpened for extra piercing capabilities???? That's what I would want on my belt if I was in a bad situation.

One grip is 440c steel.. Slap some 154cm steel on there and I'm set. What has been your take on edge retention and ease of sharpening?
Old 04-10-2014, 10:24 PM   #27
13lstuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemuscle View Post
The majority of my knives are made by Parker Brothers. I have one Kershaw, and the one is the beonet from my ar-15. Believe it or not the silver survivor knife if I purchased from harbor freight tools for about $6 and it even has a compass in the end. Most of these knives are about 30 years old.

Attachment 615714

Attachment 615715
I see a whole lot of collectibles in this stash. Just beautiful scales, and blades. You have stored them right sir!
Old 04-10-2014, 11:15 PM   #28
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:

Dude that is one sexy ass knife... 8.5" tanto blade??? And the spine is sharpened for extra piercing capabilities???? That's what I would want on my belt if I was in a bad situation.

One grip is 440c steel.. Slap some 154cm steel on there and I'm set. What has been your take on edge retention and ease of sharpening?
I believe it holds an edge pretty well. I spend a lot of time in the woods. and I sharpened the first inch and a half of the spine. (Kind of like I was bored in a woods one day.) the spine looks like the first picture I posted. Pretty easy to sharpen with the stone provided, but with better techniques, it can get a much better edge. Most of the time it gets a quick hit with the provided sharpener.

Tags
knife, knives, pictures, review