The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #15
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I realize the diesel has more goodies and creature comforts. What I don't get is GM's decision to only make this engine available in higher trims.

People want this engine to save money. Anyone who has done a bit of research into hybrid or diesel options know they cost more up front just for the drivetrain itself. I guarantee there are buyers out there that just want the cheapest vehicle they can find with the best MPGs....so why not give those potential buyers the option of getting this engine in an otherwise base car? It may only be 1000 to 2000 dollars cheaper if they were to remove the higher trim and replace with base stuff, but for some buyers thats what they want.

That said, I'm not hatin on this car...I really hope it does very well!
I think a big part of it is that GM (and other manufacturers) are realizing those seeking high fuel economy don't really want to give up all the equipment that has historically been deleted from FE trims.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #16
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
I realize the diesel has more goodies and creature comforts. What I don't get is GM's decision to only make this engine available in higher trims.

People want this engine to save money. Anyone who has done a bit of research into hybrid or diesel options know they cost more up front just for the drivetrain itself. I guarantee there are buyers out there that just want the cheapest vehicle they can find with the best MPGs....so why not give those potential buyers the option of getting this engine in an otherwise base car? It may only be 1000 to 2000 dollars cheaper if they were to remove the higher trim and replace with base stuff, but for some buyers thats what they want.

Profits is the reason why the diesel is only available in a 2LT car.
And yes, a base diesel would make this car more attractive to me.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #17
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
I second this
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #18
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
The owner of our dealership is taking one as a demo. He loves it
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #19
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Don't forget this one: www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297321

or this one
www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160238

or this one
www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130361
Quote:
and I'm suspecting that numbers greater than 46 on the highway are possible without trying overly hard.

But yes that 8,000 dollar difference in price is a bit hard to swallow.
50's are easily possible. Go to the first link that I posted above & you'll hear from the chief engineer about how cars in the captured test fleet were frequently getting over 50 mpg, and some of the hypermilers were getting an average of 60 mpg on a 50 mile trip
Quote:

On the flip side, you also have the fact that the Cruze diesel has a little more power & gobs more torque than any other engine in the line up. Its a premium engine, and while they technically could put it into a 'lesser model' its pretty standard practice to pair top engines with top trim levels.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #20
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Agreed. I'm casually looking around at what I might buy as a DD once my Olds dies (whenever that will be). I'm looking for a relatively cheap commuter that I can put a lot of miles on without getting killed on fuel and depreciation. (I'm actually leaning toward a Mazda3 Skyactive or base Jetty TDI) right now). If they would offer this in a more base trim, as VW does with the Jetta TDI, I would be VERY interested in one of these, but I'm not really interested in a fully loaded trim level car, and I'm not willing to pay that much to get the diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
50's are easily possible. Go to the first link that I posted above & you'll hear from the chief engineer about how cars in the captured test fleet were frequently getting over 50 mpg, and some of the hypermilers were getting an average of 60 mpg on a 50 mile trip

On the flip side, you also have the fact that the Cruze diesel has a little more power & gobs more torque than any other engine in the line up. Its a premium engine, and while they technically could put it into a 'lesser model' its pretty standard practice to pair top engines with top trim levels.
Mid to upper 50s highway will likely be common with the Cruze diesel. I think most diesels are actually UNDER-rated by the EPA. My parents both have VW TDIs (only rated at 39 and 40 mpg) and both consistently achieve upper 40s and into the 50s at normal highway speed without resorting to any crazy hyper-miling techniques. Try to get that with any gas engine with the same EPA rating. You can't.

And you also make a good point bringing up the performance of the engine. The diesel Cruze will probably be the best performing engine option, with slightly more power, and of course all that sweet torque. You'd have to actually drive one to truly understand. Those little diesels are amazingly gutsy. I drove one of my parents through the mountains out West last summer, and it crawled up hills and passes in 6th gear that would have even an LS3, Hemi, or 5.0 searching for a lower gear.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #21
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post

Mid to upper 50s highway will likely be common with the Cruze diesel. I think most diesels are actually UNDER-rated by the EPA. My parents both have VW TDIs (only rated at 39 and 40 mpg) and both consistently achieve upper 40s and into the 50s at normal highway speed without resorting to any crazy hyper-miling techniques. Try to get that with any gas engine with the same EPA rating. You can't.

Yep.

Have a co-worker with a Jetta TDI and she achieves into the 50s on the highway as well.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #22
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
this will be the wife's next cruze.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:12 PM   #23
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
It all depends on how much driving you are going to do if you want to save money with a diesel. A co-worker did the numbers, and he will come out ahead after 5 years with the Cruze diesel, but he drives around 35k a year. For me, it would take 13 years to break even.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:36 PM   #24
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
151HP and 264lbft of torque.....I would like to try that

And I also don't know where you have been. Multiple threads about this.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #25
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Only thing I don't like about the diesel cruze are the rims. I have always liked the Eco rims the best. And it will easily do over 46 on the highway because in my M6 Eco I get 44mpg
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote