The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #15
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Very surprised it is still a 6.2 and heavier than the current engine. That said there is a good bit of new tech in there...much of it sounds similar to the tech and tuning used for the LFX V6 engine.

Not complaining about 450 HP and the TQ range sounds awesome, but I think with the same displacement, and Direct Injection, we were expecting a bit more than that since the LS3 is 430 or so. I can see it from the Ford boys already "We're making nearly that much power with only a 5.0 engine"

But this engine in a lighter Corvette and lighter 6th gen Camaro will be fantastic.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #16
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post

But this engine in a lighter Corvette and lighter 6th gen Camaro will be fantastic.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #17
big hammer

Drives: 2002 ws6
Quote:
Very surprised it is still a 6.2 and heavier than the current engine. That said there is a good bit of new tech in there...much of it sounds similar to the tech and tuning used for the LFX V6 engine.

Not complaining about 450 HP and the TQ range sounds awesome, but I think with the same displacement, and Direct Injection, we were expecting a bit more than that since the LS3 is 430 or so. I can see it from the Ford boys already "We're making nearly that much power with only a 5.0 engine"

the torque curve of the new lt1 makes the boss 302 look like a civic engine. this engine has WAY more applications than the 5.0. and remember, this is the base engine.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #18
LBV

Drives: G8 GXP manual
Wonder why no mention was made in that article about the fact that DI engines always have carbon & build-up on the back of the valves due to no fuel now passing over them?

In a perfect world, a combo of port injection & DI would be best but maybe Toyota has the patent on that system (as used on the new Scion FR-S & Subaru BRZ as well as others)??

Zeta platform, LS3,TR6060 tranny ... ya, it's a 4-dr Camaro!

Borla cat-back, H&R springs, & Sprintbooster & I love it!
LBV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #19
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBV View Post
Wonder why no mention was made in that article about the fact that DI engines always have carbon & build-up on the back of the valves due to no fuel now passing over them?

In a perfect world, a combo of port injection & DI would be best but maybe Toyota has the patent on that system (as used on the new Scion FR-S & Subaru BRZ as well as others)??
Where does the carbon come from? EGR? Crankcase vent?

Let's just nix that crap.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #20
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Motortrend covered that in a Q&A. A full transcript is posted in the C7 Corvette Announcement thread.

Quote:
MT: What about recent concerns about intake-valve deposits on direct-injection engines?

LT1 Team: Deposits are caused by oil that either seeps by the intake valve systems or is ingested through the PCV system. The LT1’s improved air/oil separation is a key enabler in preventing these deposits. We’ve experienced no deposits in our development engines.

http://wot.motortrend.com/qa-with-co...-8-280789.html
I forget where I read it, today...but they redesigned the PCV system to better separate oil/air being sucked into the intake. It was a significantly high percentage of reduction. This, combined with higher tolerances, should help keep oil out of the intake nearly altogether.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #21
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Quote:

I see this as more of a 5th gen L99 than a 5th gen LS3 so 50+ hp over the L99 is a good bump up in power. If it didnt have AFM it would have a 7000 rpm redline and more power.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #22
big hammer

Drives: 2002 ws6
this new lt1 has a pretty small cam.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:41 PM   #23
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
I long to be impressed with such as this

2500HD (with a couple parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I wonder if this could be why my car idles like its retarded...
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #24
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
I see this as more of a 5th gen L99 than a 5th gen LS3 so 50+ hp over the L99 is a good bump up in power. If it didnt have AFM it would have a 7000 rpm redline and more power.
I dunno...it sounds as though AFM might be standard in the new generation of V8s...so perhaps there won't be a comparison between L99s and LS3s in the future.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #25
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
the torque curve of the new lt1 makes the boss 302 look like a civic engine. this engine has WAY more applications than the 5.0. and remember, this is the base engine.
No worries..I'm not hating on the engine...I'm a fan. I agree with you...this engine will be very versatile from what it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBV View Post

This was covered above, but I think GM is very aware of this and sounds like they have a way to help prevent the carbon build up. As for us DI V6 owners who deal with the same troubles, GM claimed the LLT/LFX design shouldn't suffer as badly, but we are still running catch cans....and they do catch a lot. It sounds like these engines may not have a need for an aftermarket can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
Thinking of it that way, it does make more sense. I think everyone is going to love the juicy power bump in the low and midrange, but yet these things still have good top end.

Its kind of like a combination of the last LT1 (known for low end grunt) and the LS1 which had more top end....best of both worlds makes for a great all around engine.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #26
dmax86

Drives: 2016 Z06 C7R
does any think there is reason to hold out for the DI 6.2 if you were in the market for the new corvette/camaro?? especially the first gen run of them...?
Old 10-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #27
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
damn. that engine will greatly improve the camaros performance.
It's got just 14 more HP and weighs more than the engine it replaces in the corvette. In what way are you sure it will help the Camaro?
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #28
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
It's got just 14 more HP and weighs more than the engine it replaces in the corvette. In what way are you sure it will help the Camaro?
Also, usually the Camaro suffers a little in the HP rating compared to the Vette, would guess 435-440 in the next Camaro.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote