Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 04-24-2018, 10:53 PM   #15
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
Wow. That color is making me drool! Gorgeous car! Welcome to the family man! As far as mods and warranties go, I’d stick with whatever you can do without having to tune the car.
If a mod requires a tune, it WILL void your warranty.

That being said, there are some mods that don’t require a tune that should help you in the butt dyno department.

1.) as others have said, a new air intake will give you a little bump, and will make that turbo a bit louder (worth it for the sound alone lol.) this mod however, does have he potential to void your warranty. So I’d keep your factory air box so you could swap before trips to the dealer.

2.) cat back exhaust

3.) lighter wheels with stickier tires. (Don’t under estimate this mod. It will be the most dramatic change in speed out of the list.)

4.) ported factory throttle body and intake manifold (has the potential to void your warranty, but a tech would really have to know what they’re looking for.)

I’d also look to see if gm has any sound deadening material installed to quiet down the turbo, and remove it. But only because I love hearing a good turbo spool up and dumping air through the diverter valve. Like an angry vacuum cleaner with allergies lol (in a good way!)
nope leaving it alone.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:02 PM   #16
Deuceski

Drives: 2017 2.0T RS
Quote:
Wow. That color is making me drool! Gorgeous car! Welcome to the family man! As far as mods and warranties go, I’d stick with whatever you can do without having to tune the car.
If a mod requires a tune, it WILL void your warranty.

That being said, there are some mods that don’t require a tune that should help you in the butt dyno department.

1.) as others have said, a new air intake will give you a little bump, and will make that turbo a bit louder (worth it for the sound alone lol.) this mod however, does have he potential to void your warranty. So I’d keep your factory air box so you could swap before trips to the dealer.

2.) cat back exhaust

3.) lighter wheels with stickier tires. (Don’t under estimate this mod. It will be the most dramatic change in speed out of the list.)

4.) ported factory throttle body and intake manifold (has the potential to void your warranty, but a tech would really have to know what they’re looking for.)

I’d also look to see if gm has any sound deadening material installed to quiet down the turbo, and remove it. But only because I love hearing a good turbo spool up and dumping air through the diverter valve. Like an angry vacuum cleaner with allergies lol (in a good way!)
I fell in love with the color immediately when I saw it. I think adding some black pieces will really contrast well with that color. Thanks for the suggestions! I wouldn't mind getting some fatter wheels and tires at some point down the road. My dad has a 2015 Camaro and a heavily modified 82 z28 he used to auto cross. I'm sure since I now have my own we will do a race or two this summer just for laughs. Might even get the 82 back into race shape since he has a brand new set of Hoosier race slicks just sitting around . And yes I would love some more turbo spool, I wish it was more audible stock.
Deuceski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:56 PM   #17
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuceski View Post
I fell in love with the color immediately when I saw it. I think adding some black pieces will really contrast well with that color. Thanks for the suggestions! I wouldn't mind getting some fatter wheels and tires at some point down the road. My dad has a 2015 Camaro and a heavily modified 82 z28 he used to auto cross. I'm sure since I now have my own we will do a race or two this summer just for laughs. Might even get the 82 back into race shape since he has a brand new set of Hoosier race slicks just sitting around . And yes I would love some more turbo spool, I wish it was more audible stock.
A CAI will help with hearing the turbo. We don't currently have any options for ported TB and Manifold in fact i think it's been found it's not going to help enough to justify the cost on the I4 Turbo. This guys making recommendations about a car he doesn't drive or own I'm not saying he's wrong with his ideas but i dunno... we have an I4 Aftermarket list in this section that will give you the best options out there as far as a cat-back your not going to get any power from it but it may or may not sound better the I4 has a unique sound for a camaro I'll leave it at that. Basic bolt-ons like CAI, Hi-Flo downpipe, TB and Charge Pipe kits don't require a tune. But you won't get the full benefit without a tune. I drove with full bolt-ons for 8 to 9 months zero CELs or issues untuned.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 04-25-2018, 12:04 AM   #18
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
Don't waste your money on any bolt-on's with the exception of a cat-back or axle-back exhaust (strictly for sound) unless you plan to have it tuned. The stock programmed ECU & TCU will shut down any gains from any bolt-on's. Tune first, bolt-on after. Sorry for the inconvenient truth.
Here we go again.... show me a tuning log which confirms this and I'll hop on board until then probably best not to say uninformed or confirmed information. Especially when several people can attest otherwise. We've been up and down the stock detuning arguement and although i can say there is some it's not as drastic as some are making it out to be.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:19 AM   #19
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

We were doing so well.... Fricken Al Gore loving hipster just had to ruin it.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:32 AM   #20
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
A CAI will help with hearing the turbo. We don't currently have any options for ported TB and Manifold in fact i think it's been found it's not going to help enough to justify the cost on the I4 Turbo. This guys making recommendations about a car he doesn't drive or own I'm not saying he's wrong with his ideas but i dunno... we have an I4 Aftermarket list in this section that will give you the best options out there as far as a cat-back your not going to get any power from it but it may or may not sound better the I4 has a unique sound for a camaro I'll leave it at that. Basic bolt-ons like CAI, Hi-Flo downpipe, TB and Charge Pipe kits don't require a tune. But you won't get the full benefit without a tune. I drove with full bolt-ons for 8 to 9 months zero CELs or issues untuned.
You're right Evil, I don't own or drive an I4. But I have owned/driven/modified many DI I4 turbos, and am very comfortable with internal combustion engine mechanics.

My recomendation for the exhaust was more for sound, and IMO when it comes to a car's "butt dyno(feeling)" sound makes it feel faster. My definition of "butt dyno" is more placebic in nature.

Your car is bad to the bone Evil, but the OP expressed concern about keeping his warranty. And I know GM's *Limited* warranty, the Magnuson-Moss argument, and how owners have failed against GM on warranty claims for modified cars. So I only listed the mods I knew of that could be easily reversed, and did not require a tune. I know that tuning is a must to get the most GAINNNNNNNZZZZ out of your mods, but its a no no from GM.

No disrespect, I have a lot of love for the turbo 4's and V6's. And your build looks sick!
Old 04-25-2018, 01:26 AM   #21
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
You're right Evil, I don't own or drive an I4. But I have owned/driven/modified many DI I4 turbos, and am very comfortable with internal combustion engine mechanics.

My recomendation for the exhaust was more for sound, and IMO when it comes to a car's "butt dyno(feeling)" sound makes it feel faster. My definition of "butt dyno" is more placebic in nature.

Your car is bad to the bone Evil, but the OP expressed concern about keeping his warranty. And I know GM's *Limited* warranty, the Magnuson-Moss argument, and how owners have failed against GM on warranty claims for modified cars. So I only listed the mods I knew of that could be easily reversed, and did not require a tune. I know that tuning is a must to get the most GAINNNNNNNZZZZ out of your mods, but its a no no from GM.

No disrespect, I have a lot of love for the turbo 4's and V6's. And your build looks sick!
I get what your saying 100% and I apologize if I came off a bit hot headed i'm well known for that. Just the ported part kinda sent shivers into me because we've actually had this discussion with someone who ports manifolds for the LFX's on here. Of course finding those old threads is a needle in a haystack. As far as warranty work goes it's all subjective and step 1 is keeping your stock parts which you can easily do with Downpipe, CAI and TB/Charge Pipe. It's as simple as bolting them back on if an issue happens that you or an independent shop can't fix cheaper then GM's process. I hope the OP makes a killer I4 and loves it I see your build is still on-going and looking good as well.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:47 AM   #22
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
I get what your saying 100% and I apologize if I came off a bit hot headed i'm well known for that. Just the ported part kinda sent shivers into me because we've actually had this discussion with someone who ports manifolds for the LFX's on here. Of course finding those old threads is a needle in a haystack. As far as warranty work goes it's all subjective and step 1 is keeping your stock parts which you can easily do with Downpipe, CAI and TB/Charge Pipe. It's as simple as bolting them back on if an issue happens that you or an independent shop can't fix cheaper then GM's process. I hope the OP makes a killer I4 and loves it I see your build is still on-going and looking good as well.
Hey no worries bro! I didn't know about the ported parts on the LFX's, Ill have to look into that. But are you saying that they didnt make any improvements? I guess the LFX is similar to the LGX, but is the LTG in the same boat when it comes to ported TB/IM's? You know more than I do for sure lol, I just like learning this stuff.

OP, Evil knows more than I do. And his advice on making sure the mods are easily reversible is choice.

Thanks Evil!
Old 04-25-2018, 07:09 AM   #23
whiskeyfed
Pat

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT I4 Turbo A8
Hey! Welcome!!!

So first, I did my wheels in black plasti dip to save money mostly. They look pretty damn good for an amateur job and a very haphazard prep and application process. If you prepped well and applied correctly, it looks great for about $20.

I am one of the few that are not tuned and have bolt-ons (see my list below in my signature and ill spare the list here)

As far as aesthetics, IMO it is VERY EASY to "rice-i-fy" this car. I had some LED demon eye bulbs on mine for a bit and took them off because it wasn't what I wanted.

I have:
Louvers from American Authority
Front Splitter from American Authority
LED low beam upgrade headlights from Diode Dynamics (best in the biz for lighting)
GM Smoked tail lights and 3rd brake light
3 piece blade spoiler from IKON Motorsports (their stuff is crap but the spoiler was nice)
Side Skirts from American Authority

As far as performance and keeping a warranty, I can't remember who wrote it but DO NOT underestimate lighter wheels and performance tires. There was research done by Engineering explained on YouTube that proved that stickier tires was equal to some supporting mods on stock tires.

I am un tuned and have no CEL issues. (I did with my charge pipe upgrade but i think that was because i didnt have the sensor tight enough) code is cleared and were all good.

You WILL get a CEL with a catless downpipe.

I would say the best things you can do first are:
Performance
CAI
Some kind of exhaust (axle back or catback or cutouts)
Tires and Wheels

Aesthetics
Tint the windows (I have a 15% sun strip, 20% side windows and 5% QP windows and rear windshield)
Paint/powder coat/ dip wheels
Smoked tail lights (this is worth the money

Then it all depends what you want to do with the car! Show it, drag it, track it, slam it, make it look like a fake ZL1.

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out. Check out my build thread linked below for pics and more info on my mods so far.

Subscribe on YouTube Whiskeyfed Camaro

Follow my Build Thread The WhiskeyFed Camaro

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

DYNO SHEET: 297whp / 374wtq
Tuned by #danytechtuning
whiskeyfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:14 AM   #24
whiskeyfed
Pat

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT I4 Turbo A8
Oh! Also!

GET CERAMIC COATED ASAFP

Subscribe on YouTube Whiskeyfed Camaro

Follow my Build Thread The WhiskeyFed Camaro

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

DYNO SHEET: 297whp / 374wtq
Tuned by #danytechtuning
whiskeyfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:45 AM   #25
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Heeyy.. The old modded tuned VS un-tuned argument. I love this one!!

So, I will be the first to admit I was wrong about this in the past. There is a commanded MAX value in the stock tune you can not exceed before the PCM intervenes. That is true. BUT, what I failed to consider, is the extra power throughout the entire RPM range that can be seen, and felt before reaching that commanded max number. After seeing more dyno's, and more of the stock tune parameters, I am now split right down the middle on this subject, and agree with BOTH sides of the argument. Hopefully that helps some.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:53 AM   #26
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
Heeyy.. The old modded tuned VS un-tuned argument. I love this one!!

So, I will be the first to admit I was wrong about this in the past. There is a commanded MAX value in the stock tune you can not exceed before the PCM intervenes. That is true. BUT, what I failed to consider, is the extra power throughout the entire RPM range that can be seen, and felt before reaching that commanded max number. After seeing more dyno's, and more of the stock tune parameters, I am now split right down the middle on this subject, and agree with BOTH sides of the argument. Hopefully that helps some.
That's my curiosity factor. We know we dyno around 240 in 6th gear stock but what is the stock parameter ceiling is it the 275 crank or higher. What you said about the performance increase throughout the powerband was well said. It's an arguement that will rage on but it's good we can now find some common ground to work with.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:33 AM   #27
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
I forget what the exact number is, but each car can vary the interpretation of that set value, even though the value is the same. Thats why you see different dyno numbers,(among other things) adding confusion to this subject......
I won't pretend to know all the parameters the car uses to calculate when you reach this number, but I'm sure those can also be skewed one way or the other whether intentional or not . On top of that, throw in things like different dyno's and the gear used, things really start looking different. So, the max value is set in the stock tune, but that doesn't mean we all hit that wall at one magic number. Hopefully that makes sense. Its early, hahah..

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:38 AM   #28
JohnCobalt

Drives: Camaro and Mazda CX3
Hey sorry it took so long. Here's the oem wheels after they were powder coated gloss black. And the other pic is what it looks like after I put MRR wheels on and the ZL1 style bumper from Ikon Motorsports and Brembo front brakes.

Last edited by JohnCobalt; 04-25-2018 at 09:45 AM. Reason: image links!
JohnCobalt is offline   Reply With Quote