Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-16-2016, 04:33 AM   #15
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Now that you know about claying, get the Speedy prep towel. Just as good, but 10 times faster. Really!!
Old 07-16-2016, 10:21 AM   #16
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by songsj View Post
Did the clay bar today, Could not have been easier, paint feels as smooth as a, well you know really smooth. Can't wait to get the Zaino on her, expecting great things, 6 months old, 1900 miles not even a rock chip, I have been very lucky. Now if I could just figure out how I'm going to grill my steaks, no where near my Camaro that's for sure. You can teach an old dog new tricks, almost 60, 1st time I've used clay bar.
While the clay removed these contaminates, It would be a good idea before you apply your LSP to do an iron decontamination of the paint as well. Very easy to do.

After rinsing and drying the car, do an IPA 10% or Carpro eraser wipe down to remove any oils that remain on the surface. This will ensure your LSP to achieve the best bond possible.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:06 AM   #17
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
songsj, I will be turning 60 this week and I am a woman. The best thing I learned on this forum was to use the Speedy Prep Towel instead of the clay bar. At 60, one gets a little bit slower and that prep towel took about an hour of my work and turned it into a cool 20 minutes.

The next time you strip the car down, also do an Iron X spray and sponge either before or after the clay (you got people on here saying "Iron X before clay" or "Iron X after clay" or my husband who says "Before and After!" but that's just because he likes to mess with me and my detailing obsessions. But in all seriousness, the Iron X will also get rid of tons of raildust you have no idea is sitting on your paint, even though it is a brand new car. After that, an alcohol wipe and you are good to seal, seal again, and top with wax.

Enjoy your ride!!!

ps go ahead and grill, just wipe the car down with some waterless wash immediately after.

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:43 AM   #18
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
Nice to hear you got all that grease off which what it probably was. If it was actual overspray, that is a different challenge. I had overspray on areas of my car when we repainted the front bumper. A clay bar would get the first layer of the overspray off but if you wanted it all off a good buff or paint correction machine polish will be the trick. After stripping down the wax with the car wash, clay the whole car. At this point mind as well polish or buff the entire car.

After clay baring the overspray you will still have a rough surface that's where you get some paint correction polish or a light or medium compound for a buffer and go over the overspray area. Then a finishing polish for that shine and then polish the rest of the car. It's a daunting task but the results are well worth it.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:00 PM   #19
songsj

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Summit White
Yes I think I was very lucky that is was most likely cooking grease from grill because it almost all came off with the dawn wash and what little was left might have been from when the car was new. I have one coat of Z-AIO, and 2 Z6 Gloss enhancer on it for base coat and have ordered Z 2 Pro for the final top coat polishes.
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote