Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 01-06-2017, 07:44 AM   #15
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Your chances of a good install are increased if the installer is using A PATTERN cut specially for this car. Xpel does. The new Camaro is a very hard car to use film.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:58 AM   #16
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Your chances of a good install are increased if the installer is using A PATTERN cut specially for this car. Xpel does. The new Camaro is a very hard car to use film.
Yes, I've heard the new ZL1 can be a difficult install.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:22 PM   #17
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
When I bought my 2013 ZL1, the clear bra installer recommended it get applied to the portions of the car most likely to get chips, such as the front facia (NOT the front splitter since it's not painted). the mirrors (since they stick way out in the airstream), and the gill area.

Of course you can go as far as you'd like with it perhaps including the entire hood, but don't do 'half' the hood. Consider that the clear bra has to end somewhere, and ending at a natural body gap is preferable from an appearance point of view.
If you extend it up half the hood, you'll end up with a line where it ends that will be apt to collect polish/wax build-up.

Either way, it's probably the best investment I ever made.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:31 PM   #18
Capisce

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
What kind of prices are you guys looking at for xpel or the like
Old 01-06-2017, 01:38 PM   #19
DDP98

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
When I bought my 2013 ZL1, the clear bra installer recommended it get applied to the portions of the car most likely to get chips, such as the front facia (NOT the front splitter since it's not painted). the mirrors (since they stick way out in the airstream), and the gill area.

Of course you can go as far as you'd like with it perhaps including the entire hood, but don't do 'half' the hood. Consider that the clear bra has to end somewhere, and ending at a natural body gap is preferable from an appearance point of view.
If you extend it up half the hood, you'll end up with a line where it ends that will be apt to collect polish/wax build-up.

Either way, it's probably the best investment I ever made.
I agree. The film does its job preventing chips and am very happy with the results on my cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capisce View Post
What kind of prices are you guys looking at for xpel or the like
Here in the Bay Area, a good application will run around 2k. For the ZL1, using either Xpel or Suntek I was quoted $2200 and that included the full front, full hood, mirrors, head lights, door cups and the fender by the rear wheels (similar to what you see on Porsche's and the BMW M4). Some places will be a few hundred less, but as someone said in this thread, application and experience are paramount. A poorly installed film looks terrible and can be spotted a mile away. On another note, I was told that Xpel and Suntek are excellent films and that Xpel is slightly thicker and thus very minimally more noticeable than Suntek. I have Xpel on my Roadster and have zero complaints; totally worth the investment.

Quote:
Don't ever confuse a nano ceramic coating with paint protection film. They are two different animals. No type of coating can protect your car against rocks like a film can do. Ceramic coatings are to keep the car from getting swirled and minor scratches that are hard to see. I personally think, having used both many times, it's ridiculous to put a ceramic over a film, a simple sealant works fine. Where you don't apply paint protection film, put on the ceramic.
Yes. It's so important to understand the difference. Ceramic coatings are meant to keep that brilliant shine after the full paint correction by the shop. Once applied, it doesn't prevent chips, but it does help with cleaning maintenance, swirls and water shedding.
01/16/2017 - TPW
1/18/2017 - 4200
1/302017 - Delivered
DDP98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #20
THell

Drives: 2017 zl1
Here is what I had installed on my 2017 Summit White ZL1

Clear Bra - Lumar
A pillars
Front Bumper
Roof back to Sunroof
Hood, Fenders back to windshield
Mirrors
Headlights
Full Rocker Panels
Quarter Panels Lower

9H Ceramic Coating
4 Coats over bare paint
1 Coat Light over clear bra areas
2 Coats Wheels

Well worth the expense!
THell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:51 PM   #21
neenja_jenkins

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
So, reading this thread, it seems some kind of PPF is the way to go.

Got a quote for XPEL Ultimate - Front, hood, headlights, rockers, and 1/4 panel(s) from a clear bra installer here in Dallas, and he's quoting me $3200, which going off some of the prices here, seems a bit steep.

Do that seem high to you guys?
neenja_jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:31 PM   #22
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by neenja_jenkins View Post
So, reading this thread, it seems some kind of PPF is the way to go.

Got a quote for XPEL Ultimate - Front, hood, headlights, rockers, and 1/4 panel(s) from a clear bra installer here in Dallas, and he's quoting me $3200, which going off some of the prices here, seems a bit steep.

Do that seem high to you guys?
You should be able to get this car done for 1800 bucks or less.....That would be front, and part of the hood, the sides, don't let them sell you more protection than you need ....things like the sides of the car, roof etcdon't need PPF.

See the XPELwebsite .......they tell you the authorized installers are.

But don't drink all the Kool-Aid about the protection film. In about three or four years when it looks ratty , it's hard to get off, and I don't like it because I don't get the gloss out of the car. A simple polymer sealant, a coating and or touch up paint is also a fine way to go , unless you're in rocky environments like living on a back road, etc.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:12 PM   #23
neenja_jenkins

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
You should be able to get this car done for 1800 bucks or less.....

But don't drink all the Kool-Aid about the protection film. In about three or four years when it looks ratty , it's hard to get off,
Thanks for the reply Glen e.
Yeah, 3k+ seemed quite a bit higher than others have said.
I went Opti-coat last time, and it just did not protect enough. My front bumper looks pretty beat up, and in particular I have a lot of chips on the rear 3/4 panel. So what do you recommend?

I'm really concerned about the glossy black rockers/lip. Matte black hides abuse pretty well. But these gloss black parts are going to look rough pretty fast unless I find a way to protect them.

Quote:
...and I don't like it because I don't get the gloss out of the car
Do you mean the PPF makes the car look less glossy?
neenja_jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:20 PM   #24
samsumon

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
On my 5th gen I have the entire front clip, in front of hood, A pillars, mirrors and behind front wheels below door and up covering gills. No rock chips anywhere.
As someone who just clipped his side mirror pulling into a garage the other day, i wish i did this lol.

thank god its not that bad.. so whatever
samsumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:05 PM   #25
theproskater

Drives: 2017 HBM ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDP98 View Post
Here in the Bay Area, a good application will run around 2k. For the ZL1, using either Xpel or Suntek I was quoted $2200 and that included the full front, full hood, mirrors, head lights, door cups and the fender by the rear wheels (similar to what you see on Porsche's and the BMW M4). Some places will be a few hundred less, but as someone said in this thread, application and experience are paramount. A poorly installed film looks terrible and can be spotted a mile away. On another note, I was told that Xpel and Suntek are excellent films and that Xpel is slightly thicker and thus very minimally more noticeable than Suntek. I have Xpel on my Roadster and have zero complaints; totally worth the investment.
I also live in the Bay Area and I'm curious which shop gave you that quote? I've been looking for a good place to get some paint protection installed on the ZL1. Thanks!
theproskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:44 PM   #26
Dwille

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Has anyone used, or seen the 3M Pro paint protection film that GM sells as an accessory?
Dwille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:14 PM   #27
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwille View Post
Has anyone used, or seen the 3M Pro paint protection film that GM sells as an accessory?
3M is good but not the best. I had 3M on my 5G ZL1 and after about 2-3 years I had to replace do to it yellowing from pollution. Other than that it worked great and protected from what could have been a costly repaint on my front bumper. Just remember if you order it on your car the dealer has someone come out and install it. It's not done at the factory, so who knows how good the installer will be.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:50 AM   #28
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR ZL1 View Post
3M is good but not the best. I had 3M on my 5G ZL1 and after about 2-3 years I had to replace do to it yellowing from pollution. Other than that it worked great and protected from what could have been a costly repaint on my front bumper. Just remember if you order it on your car the dealer has someone come out and install it. It's not done at the factory, so who knows how good the installer will be.
I just searched for this topic for this exact answer. I was curious to know how the dealer installed option, which seems like a far better price than what I've read on XPEL so far, would compare to the other market options. The possibility of discoloration sounds terrible.

Thanks for the information.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote