Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / PA

Old 01-12-2014, 04:02 PM   #1891
td195f

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfco13 View Post
Closed trailer? How much?

On the "substance" side. This years major upgrade will be brakes. I'm thinking: Drilled rotors, Ceramic Pads, Braided lines, and higher temp fluid. I don't think I can afford to do calipers right now. This comes after having almost NO BRAKES left at the end of 5 laps at the Glenn!
Advice and recommendations requested.
Jon,

If you want to go out and really run your car on a road course like Watkins Glen, I'm talking as fast as you want to go with no pace car leading the way, stay away from drilled rotors and ceramic brake pads. The stock SS Brembo rotors and pads are better than putting on a ceramic pad. Drilled rotors tend to crack under high heat conditions at the holes. Dimpled or slotted rotors are OK for track use. Ceramic pads are great for the street and you won't have to clean your wheels as often with them, but they're not intended for the track. Unfortunately the good pads for the track for an SS caliper, Hawk DTC-30 - front and HP Plus - Rear or Cobalt Friction XR1 - front and XR3 - rear, dust like crazy because they're working. Hi Temp Fluid is a must and the Teflon lined stainless braided lines are a good idea. If you upgrade to the SS Brembo Caliper you will need the stainless lines the six cylinder caliper hoses are to short. My recommendation would be to see if you can find a set of front and rear SS brakes and convert the fronts and rears to the SS Brembos. That will be the biggest bang for the buck to improve your brakes. They are a bolt on mod with some minor trimming required on the backing plates.
Check RockAuto.com and search on a 2010 Camaro with the 6.2 liter engine. You'll find rebuilt calipers for about $120 each for the rear and $160 each for the front. They may need to be powder coated or painted, but the price is right. Stock type rotors you can do for between $50 and $100 each. That leaves bolts (from GM dealer, I have part numbers if you do this), hardware set for the calipers ($40 or less for what's needed for all four calipers) and pads. Pads can get expensive depending on what you want.
If you want more info PM me and I'll be happy to help out.

Rich
2015 Z/28 #786 - Black
2004 Silverado 3500 Dually - D'Max - Suncoast - Banks - Edge - Custom Tune by D'Max Tuner / Spitzer '32 Bantam Altered Drag Car - Blown Alcohol 380 CI Small Block Chevy
td195f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:22 PM   #1892
camarojoe

Drives: 69 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
Joe is a closet Ford lover! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL
Hey, all the collector and classic cars I have are GM
camarojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #1893
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
For the record....a 1LE with snow tires in the winter is AWESOME!
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #1894
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:

On the "substance" side. This years major upgrade will be brakes. I'm thinking: Drilled rotors, Ceramic Pads, Braided lines, and higher temp fluid. I don't think I can afford to do calipers right now. This comes after having almost NO BRAKES left at the end of 5 laps at the Glenn!
As mentioned before: if you want to play at a track - NO CERAMIC brakes!! You may want to stay away from drilled/slotted rotors as well. Both will fail under high-heat situations.

Interestingly enough, many people who have swapped to ceramic pads to avoid brake dust find that they prefer the OE pads for performance. A case of "don't know what you got 'til it's gone". They ARE performance pads...race? Maybe not...but they'll absolutely stand up to the abuse of a track day.

Does it mean more brake dust? Unfortunately, yes - but it may be worth the trade-off to have confidence on the track that your brakes will stay in tact.

For fluid - This spring, I'm switching to ATE typ200 Amber...you can get it easily at Tirerack.com...this is a crazy-high temp DOT 4 fluid that will mix alright with existing DOT 3 and lower-temp DOT 4 fluids. This means fewer fluid changes over time under regular use, and utter confidence against over-heating the brake system on a track. A good friend who tracks his cars all the time advised this fluid.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:57 PM   #1895
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
As long as I have all this stuff done by March I should be able to make it! Wish me luck!
Dam Mike! You must be busy this winter!
Old 01-12-2014, 05:38 PM   #1896
MidlifecriSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS;Blk w/IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcox2010 View Post
Anyone intersted in putting there car in the buffalo motorama me and Jason are going to and if we get 5 car we get our own space for club march 21-23 need to know ASAP
Are you still looking for cars?? I could break Nikita out of storage for this...
Old 01-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #1897
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:

Stock rotors are better than low cost drilled ones. You have to spend mega bucks for race rotors if you want drilled. I took my drilled rotors off an going back to stock ones with stock pads. I'm using track pads for HPDE track days. My advise to you is find a set of SS Brembos calipers to replace the stock fronts. Ceramic pads are great for the street with low dust but they suck at the track. This comes from first hand experience. PM or call me if you need more advise!
Quote:
Thanks anyway, but after further investigation I am gonna have to pass this year.
Bummer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
For the record....a 1LE with snow tires in the winter is AWESOME!
I still think your nuts! LOL! JK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkjr27 View Post
Dam Mike! You must be busy this winter!
Yea, and I injured my back again, slipped on the ice, so I couldn't crawl under it this weekend to do any work! Hopefully I'll be back at it next weekend!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidlifecriSS View Post
Are you still looking for cars?? I could break Nikita out of storage for this...
That would be great!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:31 PM   #1898
Wolfco13

Drives: 45th RS Vert, 50th SS Coupe
Thanks for the help, guys!
So basically, all I really want to do is upgrade to stock SS parts, with braided hoses and high temp fluid. I gather that the rotors need to be swapped, too?
Old 01-13-2014, 08:01 AM   #1899
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:
Thanks for the help, guys!
So basically, all I really want to do is upgrade to stock SS parts, with braided hoses and high temp fluid. I gather that the rotors need to be swapped, too?
Yes you will need rotors too. Keep your eye on the members classifieds, there's always Brembo take offs for sale.
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #1900
kcox2010
synergy2011

Drives: 2011 synergy green 1ss/rs
Send a message via AIM to kcox2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidlifecriSS View Post
Hey that would be great Jeff
Old 01-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #1901
Wolfco13

Drives: 45th RS Vert, 50th SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Yes you will need rotors too. Keep your eye on the members classifieds, there's always Brembo take offs for sale.
Thanks!
Old 01-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #1902
zandron263

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IOM Convertible
Joe your 1LE is looking good after that deer mishap you had looks good as new.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #1903
2010CAMAROJ

Drives: 2006 HHR LT, 2010 2SS/RS IOM
Buffalo Motorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarojoe View Post
Yes, you have to preregister so I can set up the floor layout. If there are enough C5 members, I will put them all together.
Registration form and info at www.buffalomotorama.com and www.facebook.com/buffalomotorama

I'm the guy that owns and runs the show, so if you have any questions, just ask.

BTW, it can be ANY gen Camaro.
Registered..all set. As of now I know we have at least 3 of us registered. I know SS Mike is waiting to see if he gets his car back together and waiting on Sunset also. Let me know if anyone else is interested.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #1904
kcox2010
synergy2011

Drives: 2011 synergy green 1ss/rs
Send a message via AIM to kcox2010
Ron miller supposed to register his 2013 slp Camaro