The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #141
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
http://www.ford.com/ngbs-services/re...helbygt500.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #142
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Everyone here realizes that there are NO Official 'ring tines at all right?

Sure there's a list of reported times, but even within that list there are huge discrepancies. From varied "start/finish" lines, "dead starts" and "flying starts", manufacturer times and third party times, "showroom" cars and "prep'd" cars...the list goes on.

Its a great "track" for development purposes (and that's where it should end), but its "fast list" is just to inconsistent to be given the reverence some choose to bestow upon it.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #143
Normagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Anf the car people are talking about is a GT500, not a super snake which is a post title package-not from Ford
Just went to the Ford Build your car website and put together the above Shelby Supersnake with a sticker price of $63K and change, a bit more expensive than my ZL1 but more or less the same features. Definitely a Bad-Ass Machine! True they don't call it a Supersnake on the site, just a Shelby GT-500 but the snake on the front grille pretty much says it all. Crazy Fast! My friend has one and he can drive it like a madman. I'm afraid to let him drive my ZL1, although I may just take his for a ride just to see how it feels. Definitely won't drive crazy like him though, he is way better of a driver than I am, plus I'd be afraid to damage it if I lost control. The ZL1 is much easier to drive.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #144
Normagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
Everyone here realizes that there are NO Official 'ring tines at all right?

Sure there's a list of reported times, but even within that list there are huge discrepancies. From varied "start/finish" lines, "dead starts" and "flying starts", manufacturer times and third party times, "showroom" cars and "prep'd" cars...the list goes on.

Its a great "track" for development purposes (and that's where it should end), but its "fast list" is just to inconsistent to be given the reverence some choose to bestow upon it.
Sure be fun to either one of these cars around for a few laps wouldn't you say. Or even better, seat time in both! The Ring is one impressive track with 160+ turns and a pretty good straight.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #145
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Just went to the Ford Build your car website and put together the above Shelby Supersnake with a sticker price of $63K and change, a bit more expensive than my ZL1 but more or less the same features. Definitely a Bad-Ass Machine! True they don't call it a Supersnake on the site, just a Shelby GT-500 but the snake on the front grille pretty much says it all. Crazy Fast! My friend has one and he can drive it like a madman. I'm afraid to let him drive my ZL1, although I may just take his for a ride just to see how it feels. Definitely won't drive crazy like him though, he is way better of a driver than I am, plus I'd be afraid to damage it if I lost control. The ZL1 is much easier to drive.

63K Im guessing thats the SVTPP performance pack and the other package.

The Super Snake is a post title package offered by Shelby American
http://www.shelbyamerican.com/2013gt500.asp

It costs 28K on top of the GT500, or 41,500 on top of the GT500 for the 850 HP package
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #146
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
my .02

yes the video is not "ford" verified but the car was hauling ass.

why should it suprise anybody if the GT500 was fast on the ring. the car is fast at every track. granted this time could be off a bit.

THERE IS NOTHING SLOW ABOUT THE GT500. I would have never considering buying it if there was.

the fact it has an 82 hp and 300lb weight advantage on the ZL1 and a 160hp advantage on the Z28 means it dose not handle as well as a ZL1 or Z28 but it is pretty similar around a track in terms of times. so far it has been a tick slower on a tight track and faster on a track with long straits prety much.

the funniest thinng in the world to me is the fact ford spends all the money to go there and test but never publishes anthing when that is the new coolaid on the web.

I personally put more stock in the video review randy probst did and any ford or gm propaganda. (gt500 was faster in that test too but only on the straits)

anything any manufacturer releases ford or chevy is going to be scewed to there prospective they paid for it. anybody who acts like ford does not do it too IS A RETARD. Anybody who say GM does not do it IS A RETARD. It's called avertising not the truth ha ha.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #147
Normagene

Quote:
63K Im guessing thats the SVTPP performance pack and the other package.

The Super Snake is a post title package offered by Shelby American
http://www.shelbyamerican.com/2013gt500.asp

It costs 28K on top of the GT500, or 41,500 on top of the GT500 for the 850 HP package
I hear ya, I just call it the Supersnake since it has one on the grille. 63K is about the same pkg as my ZL1. And that 63K will get ya a way faster 1/4 or lap time than my ZL1. I do love that snake on the grille. Still say the ZL1 would be faster on the Ring because every track they compared these two the mustangs brakes faded very quickly and the ZL1 consistently ran its lap times. Now my Gay friend who drives the Mustang, well maybe he has a different reason he calls it a Supersnake...... It's all starting to make sense now....hmmm......

Old 11-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #148
Normagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
my .02

I personally put more stock in the video review randy probst did and any ford or gm propaganda. (gt500 was faster in that test too but only on the straits)

anything any manufacturer releases ford or chevy is going to be scewed to there prospective they paid for it. anybody who acts like ford does not do it too IS A RETARD. Anybody who say GM does not do it IS A RETARD. It's called avertising not the truth ha ha.
Ever think about running for office! Or is that where retired politicians go.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #149
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
I hear ya, I just call it the Supersnake since it has one on the grille. 63K is about the same pkg as my ZL1. And that 63K will get ya a way faster 1/4 or lap time than my ZL1. I do love that snake on the grille. Still say the ZL1 would be faster on the Ring because every track they compared these two the mustangs brakes faded very quickly and the ZL1 consistently ran its lap times. Now my Gay friend who drives the Mustang, well maybe he has a different reason he calls it a Supersnake...... It's all starting to make sense now....hmmm......

Got ya
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #150
RoadieWingZ

Drives: 2013 Black Camaro 1LS
C'mon guys.... Stop feeding and arguing with the 'stang trolls that love to hangout here... Using a calibrated track-side timer that's independent of the vehicle being evaluated, and thats not subject to "editing" by biased parties, is the only way to get true head-to-head comparisons. Anything else is always suspect...

2013 Camaro LS
RoadieWingZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #151
Normagene

Quote:
Got ya
I will say that now up here in New England with the temps dropping the ZL1 tires will scare the crap out of ya. Slip and slide with just a touch of throttle. I jumped off the hiway so my tires were warmed up and as I was approaching the traffic light to make a left turn, well the light turned yellow so I stepped on it and went into the turn at about 40. As I was sliding sideways all I could see was this huge concrete wall, about 12 feet high, getting closer and closer. I was about three feet from the wall when I finally got traction again...... My heart rate shot up like a rocket, took at least a half hour to calm back down. I came so close to taking the entire side of the car out. The Nannies were going crazy and the understeer just kept the car going sideways. Did that same turn at that same speed and maybe even a little faster in warmer temps with no understeer whatsoever! These tire No Like the Cold!

Old 11-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #152
LostPony

Drives: 2012 Boss 302
Sideways is oversteer, understeer is front end sliding in a straighter path than the wheels are turned. And if you were looking at the wall, you did it wrong. ALWAYS look where you WANT the car to go, not where it is headed.

2012 Kona Boss 302 #2758
LostPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #153
Normagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPony View Post
Sideways is oversteer, understeer is front end sliding in a straighter path than the wheels are turned. And if you were looking at the wall, you did it wrong. ALWAYS look where you WANT the car to go, not where it is headed.
I looked at that Huge Wall cause I knew it was there and it was getting closer and closer really fast. It was understeer, and very very slowly started to get grip enough that by the time I was parallel with the wall I was completely sideways. But when I first started that turn, you are right, I was going straight ahead with very little grip. The ass end held pretty good even when I finally got grip and stepped on it. I agree, always look where you want the car to go, lots of black ice up here in the winter and I've been fish tailing in pretty much every car I've owned. The ZL1 tires in cold temps are pretty much like driving on snow/ice in my truck! Gotta be super careful and aware of the temp cause it becomes a whole different animal. Take someone from Fl, Tx, Az, who drives a ZL1 everyday and stick them behind the wheel up here not being familiar with the tires having no grip...... They just may poop their pants taking that first turn!

Old 11-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #154
TheReaper

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadieWingZ View Post
C'mon guys.... Stop feeding and arguing with the 'stang trolls that love to hangout here... Using a calibrated track-side timer that's independent of the vehicle being evaluated, and thats not subject to "editing" by biased parties, is the only way to get true head-to-head comparisons. Anything else is always suspect...
I like the ZL1 and the 500 and I am not a troll.
Attached Images

TheReaper is offline   Reply With Quote