The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: ZL1 or GT500, Which one would you get?
ZL1 5 35.71%
GT500 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2012, 10:24 PM   #1387
kbar4782

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 00016
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
I really don't get it. The majority of 2013 GT500 and ZL1 owners will be very few in comparison to the amount of Mustangs and Camaro's actually in the road. Meanwhile, it is the majority of NON OWNERS of the 2013 GT500 and ZL1 who rant so much.

I really don't think the actual owners, like me, are bragging about our DREAM MACHINES. We are enjoying them. Just my .02. Oh, I will add, that just like ZL1 buyers "got a piece of history".... so will the compatriots who buy the 2013 GT500. And for every one who actually gets either, Congrats!

PS: See ya at the track! LOL!
Well said my friend. I've noticed the same thing
kbar4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #1388
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
No - (oh God - don't start a rumor!)

2013 ZL1 convertible CTF. Haven't named him yet - but thinking along the lines of "BroZeke V 2.0" -- (...yeah, I know - I suck......)

Any thoughts for a name?

"MOONRAKER" - "will transport you to another world!" And I believe never used on this forum! It fits!!
.................Delivers

Do you know any "Holly Goodheads"???

Last edited by htron50; 05-22-2012 at 12:18 AM.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #1389
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Since the Ford fans have made this thread primarily about the GT500, it's now in the general other vehicles category....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #1390
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
I'll be in the stands!!

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #1391
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
MOONRAKER

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #1392
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
Very true, very true. However, I'm basing the notion that 12.3 is a horrible time on the fact that 12.3 is what some of these mags ran with 2011s and we have already seen an 11.6 and 11.8 at the same track on the same day.
The 11.8 was by Evan Smith, right? Can you show me a video of that MotoTrend guy running that 11.6? I frankly don't believe one of those idiots can get a time that is better than Smith's.

Quote:
I don't know about you, but if i ran a 12.3 in the exact same car someone else just ran an 11.6 I would be embarrassed.
I definitely would be too lol.
I fail,,,I loose,,,I will admit ,,I will not deny. Your mustang is unquestionably the best and fastest thing on god given earth. ,,,,,,please,it hurts me when you say the deny and fail thing. ONE MORE TIME,,,,I HAVE FAILED,,,,,I DRIVE A BIG FAT SLOW LS3 CAMARO THAT WILL NEVER,NEVER,NEVER IN ANY WAY OUT RUN A MUSTANG. AND MY CAMARO IS VERY UGLY !! YOU ARE SO LUCKY AND FORTUNATE TO HAVE THAT COYOTE.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #1393
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by UBERJIM View Post
Let me ask a few questions regarding autocross racing since I'm not a fan of 1/4 mile. I won't offend by elaborating.

Let me preface with some specs.

Chevrolet Camaro ZL1: 588hp, 1838kg
Paganini Zonda C12 S: 555hp, 1250kg
Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4 SuperVeloce: 670hp, 1664kg

1. Who would win: ZL1 or Zonda?
2. Who would win: ZL1 or Murcielago?
3. Why did you choose that car?

Now let me guess your answer. 1. Zonda. 2. Murcielago. 3. Power/weight ratio, AWD (along with their super car affiliation).

Now net me tell you that the correct answer to 1 and 2 is the ZL1. See link:
http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html
How can this be!! This is the answer to 3. Because of suspension technology (let's assume that the super cars sprung for decent tires at those prices and, therefore, they made little difference). The amount of technology Chevrolet has put into the ZL1 suspension is phenomenal.
Sorry dude, I don't see that happening. You're comparing lap times that are as much as 10 years apart, and the lap time with the Lamborghini was done on an open track day. A regular 991 Carrera S posted a 7:40 on the 'Ring. It's a marketing tool, not a comparison of how well one car would do another since there is too many variables. A mid engine, sub 3000lbs. 555hp Zonda would absolutely annihilate the ZL1 on the track. So would the 640SV.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #1394
oortcloud

Drives: 2013 ZL1 ordered
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
If you're not out hot-lapping the thing for several hours, there's no reason to think it 'cant go to the track'.

Don't get me wrong, the more cooling the better, but this car (nor would the ZL1 w/o coolers) won't blow up after 30 minutes of driving.
I was just messing around. It's not like the gods will be angry and your car will burst into a fiery ball of flames if you don't get it.

It's just that something about this didn't make sense. And now it's clearer. Ford will definitely bring a track pack enabled car for timing.

They spent more on the engine in the base price. And if you want to compete on the track then you fork up about 10% more. Whereas the zl1 you get it all in the base, but not as much hp.
oortcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #1395
UBERJIM

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
Sorry dude, I don't see that happening. You're comparing lap times that are as much as 10 years apart, and the lap time with the Lamborghini was done on an open track day. A regular 991 Carrera S posted a 7:40 on the 'Ring. It's a marketing tool, not a comparison of how well one car would do another since there is too many variables. A mid engine, sub 3000lbs. 555hp Zonda would absolutely annihilate the ZL1 on the track. So would the 640SV.
Tell you what, switch out the Zonda for something else since it was an '02. Not sure how it is a "marketing tool". They are lap times. Not sure what your point about the Lamborghini is either.
UBERJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #1396
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Since the Ford fans have made this thread primarily about the GT500, it's now in the general other vehicles category....
Why don't yall merge it with the other? There's pretty much the same conversation going on with the same people in that one lol.
I fail,,,I loose,,,I will admit ,,I will not deny. Your mustang is unquestionably the best and fastest thing on god given earth. ,,,,,,please,it hurts me when you say the deny and fail thing. ONE MORE TIME,,,,I HAVE FAILED,,,,,I DRIVE A BIG FAT SLOW LS3 CAMARO THAT WILL NEVER,NEVER,NEVER IN ANY WAY OUT RUN A MUSTANG. AND MY CAMARO IS VERY UGLY !! YOU ARE SO LUCKY AND FORTUNATE TO HAVE THAT COYOTE.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #1397
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
The 11.8 was by Evan Smith, right? Can you show me a video of that MotoTrend guy running that 11.6? I frankly don't believe one of those idiots can get a time that is better than Smith's.

I don't know if there is a video, they may have one on the website. I would never expect a rag to post a better run than smith either. The only reason i believe it is because i was told they were all asked to use the launch control and only a few of the cars were for drag racing while the others were for the road course meaning some got fresh cars and some got them after some runs. I am betting the faster time is attributable to a lucky pick with the LC or a better cooled car rather than actually driving better than evan smith, but the real test will come over the next few weeks with private owners and mag tests where they have more time with the car. Once the guys around englishtown and atco start gettin runs in though, i think you're going to see a lot of deep 11s.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #1398
capnkirk52
Banned

Drives: 10 GT500, Raptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Wasn't it in the ZL1 Vs 13 GT500 thread?
capnkirk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #1399
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by UBERJIM View Post
Tell you what, switch out the Zonda for something else since it was an '02. Not sure how it is a "marketing tool". They are lap times. Not sure what your point about the Lamborghini is either.
The Lamborghini was ran with other cars present on the track. My point is, it's a 13 mile long, 150+ turn track. The cars were driven on different days. All the cars were tested by different drivers. ZL1 and GT500s run there also run full cages, which adds a lot to the rigidity of the chassis. You absolutely can not compare lap times of cars that are within 3 seconds of each other on a track that long with those variables. The GT500 unofficially ran a 7:35 on that track as times by someone who recorded the car from one point on the track and timed it on video. If it in fact did that time officially, that would mean there is less than a 1.3% difference in the time between the GT500 and the ZL1. Do you think that is sufficient evidence that the GT500 would be faster than a ZL1 on most tracks, or do you think that the weather, driver, or other traffic conditions could more than affect the time more than 1.3%? Like I said, marketing tool. They can use that track to develop the suspension and chassis all they want, but anyone who cares about over all performance of a car will know that the 'Ring time means nothing.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #1400
JimmyDeanSausage
Banned

Drives: GM
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post

MT ran it where they run all their cars, separately, they didn't use a time from the media event where the DA was less than great and each car had over 30 passes on it, virtually back to back.
JimmyDeanSausage is offline   Reply With Quote