The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-14-2016, 10:51 AM   #113
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender2664 View Post
For me it is the correct and reasonable response. I'm still pretty butt hurt that they make automatic ZL1s. If they didn't I would have been far more compelled to hold off on my SS purchase for the ZL1.
How does it personally offend you that they offer a high performance grand touring car with an auto?

You're refusing to buy a ZL1 simply because they offer it with an auto?
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:21 AM   #114
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
I think it retaining the Small Block V8 is more important than saving the manual when it comes to the 'Vette. Heck if the mid-engine 'Vette gains a DOHC engine, it could signal the end of the Small Block in performance cars or the Small Block period if GM wants to keep commonality between the car/truck engines. I can't imagine GM developing new LT engines just for the Camaro. Unless they do mean for the Camaro to take the 'Vette's place as America's affordable sports car.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:26 AM   #115
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
The Corvette has already had a DOHC motor..the LT5 in the C4 ZR1...

If it does get a DOHC motor, it won't signal the end of the OHV V8 unless GM wants it to die.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:31 AM   #116
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Is it true that they are going to keep building the front engine model for the first few years of the mid engine cycle?

Don't expect any mid engine vette to be anywhere below 100k
The first Vette will be a very high performance model. I would guess that it could be in that 80 - 100K+ range.

But GM is going to do cheaper versions of the mid engine Vette as well that will bring the price back down to where it should be. I've read about this before....of course nothing was set in stone when I read it but it made perfect sense. Eventually, the Corvette will be exclusively mid-engine, and they will have the lower/mid range 60 - 70K Corvettes available. that's what is exciting to me...the thought of a mid engine car with superb performance for Corvette prices. (which is basically what the Corvette does now...just not mid engine)

Quote:
For me it is the correct and reasonable response. I'm still pretty butt hurt that they make automatic ZL1s. If they didn't I would have been far more compelled to hold off on my SS purchase for the ZL1.
LOL. Get over it. You still have your manual.

When they stop making manuals, then I'll understand.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #117
RaceFuel

Drives: A boring sedan
Quote:
Show us on the doll where the bad automatic touched you.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:48 AM   #118
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceFuel View Post

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #119
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Well, he did say he's butt hurt, so that kind of narrows it down.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:37 PM   #120
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Hate to break it to ya but ... the SS can be had with an automatic too.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:43 PM   #121
ender2664
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
I get it man. I really do. Like I said times are changing.

Unfortunately our options in the next 10-20 years will be very limited.
I know
ender2664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:16 PM   #122
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
I know
Fortunately in 10-20 years I'll be old enough I'll have a legitimate excuse to want paddle shifters... lol
Old 09-14-2016, 01:33 PM   #123
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expunge View Post
Wait a couple years and it will depreciate. For example, look on EBay for a 2011 Corvette ZR1, a former 100K car, 638hp, that can be picked up with less than 5K miles for less than 60K.

Yeah you have to wait.. but if you do, you can find some real nice rides that don't break the bank.
true, but they are not new. This is one of those things that I want new lol. I know it might seem stupid to some but that is the goal to buy it new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
The first Vette will be a very high performance model. I would guess that it could be in that 80 - 100K+ range.

But GM is going to do cheaper versions of the mid engine Vette as well that will bring the price back down to where it should be. I've read about this before....of course nothing was set in stone when I read it but it made perfect sense. Eventually, the Corvette will be exclusively mid-engine, and they will have the lower/mid range 60 - 70K Corvettes available. that's what is exciting to me...the thought of a mid engine car with superb performance for Corvette prices. (which is basically what the Corvette does now...just not mid engine)

LOL. Get over it. You still have your manual.

When they stop making manuals, then I'll understand.
If they did manage to still have a model at Corvette prices that would be amazing, I fear they won't though.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:41 PM   #124
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post

If Chevy is Smart they will have a Mid-Engine Corvette to fight the Ford GT and a Front Engine to carry on the Corvette Tradition
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:56 PM   #125
RaceFuel

Drives: A boring sedan
If the rumors that the BG plant will have two lines..it's entirely possible that we'll see a split platform generation.

However, eventually in the interest of cost and "brand refinement", I suspect all Corvettes will eventually be midengine.

Remember folks, GM wants to move all its brands and models up market, the Corvette will become even more of the "status symbol"..aka "if you can't afford it, you're not worthy of it".
Old 09-14-2016, 02:51 PM   #126
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
If the rumors that the BG plant will have two lines..it's entirely possible that we'll see a split platform generation.

However, eventually in the interest of cost and "brand refinement", I suspect all Corvettes will eventually be midengine.

Remember folks, GM wants to move all its brands and models up market, the Corvette will become even more of the "status symbol"..aka "if you can't afford it, you're not worthy of it".
And IMO that is a dumb idea. That to me is like TGI Friday's trying to move into the same category as a fancy steak house
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote