Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest

Old 04-02-2016, 07:15 AM   #1
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
Help me move back to Denver! (power industry employment)

Looking for a little help from my Rocky Mountain Camaro friends.

I grew up in a little mountain town on the western slope called Cedaredge. I couldn't wait to get out of there as a kid and into the big wide world so I joined the Navy... and now that I've been gone a while, I miss it dearly!

I've got family in Denver, and ever since leaving the Navy, I've been looking for a decent opportunity that would get me back to the greater Denver area, back to the most beautiful state I've been in, and most importantly, near my family. I've had a couple really good prospects that I've been in the top few candidates for but just haven't landed the "right" job yet.

Obviously, I can't in good conscience ask for any kind of recommendations - but I would very much appreciate any leads on companies looking for someone with my skill set.

Speaking of my skill set:
I am a former Navy nuclear electrician, motor generator sets, turbine generators and batteries were my bread and butter. Technical troubleshooting, AC/DC power up 480V, motor controllers, circuit breaker maintenance are all familiar to me - although my hands-on skill set could use some dusting off.

Currently I am employed in the power industry, specifically hydro-electric generation. I am responsible for the remote operation of approximately 600MW of power located primarily in upstate New York, but also some in Tennessee/North Carolina (the dam that Harrison Ford jumped off in The Fugitive is one of four that I control on that river system). I am also certified by NERC as a Transmission System Operator. I am well versed in bulk electric system operations, power transmission and voltage control, power generation and even a bit of the power marketing side of things. I am very proficient in SCADA system operation, PI data historian, and various other power system tools.

I'm looking for something ideally in the control room environment, in operations. I'm not getting any younger, so while I'm not against a more hands on technical job, I don't want to start on the bottom again if I can avoid it. I'm a very quick learner and very driven when properly motivated. Shift work, holidays, and odd hours are nothing new for me. I've proven to be very resourceful and hold myself to very high standards in all my operations. I'm a senior operator and I've been responsible for the hands-on training and supervision of at least 6 other operators in the last couple years.

Some of the places I've applied/interviewed:
Tri-State Generation and Transmission
Fort Collins Public Utilities
Xcel Energy

My resume can absolutely be provided if needed. Thanks for reading, and doubly thanks for providing any helpful info!
Old 04-02-2016, 07:58 AM   #2
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
FWIW, I retired from the Nuclear Industry (Operations and Training) back in 2001, since then have worked as a consultant in the industry. I just bowed out for good, but let me tell you, they are frantic to hire people in the Cyber Security field. Power companies (in my experience) are loath to spend any money unless forced into it by the government, and are now under the gun with regards to Cyber Security. It's a pretty wide open field right now, I think. Just my two cents!
Old 04-02-2016, 08:39 AM   #3
terry_b

Thanks, I've still got my GI bill benefits, and I'm largely undecided on what kind of degree to pursue. I've looked into IT and cyber security - the big problem I've noticed there is that the ability for a company to farm out their IT support to an outside firm is just too easy. Working in operations, I know my job is secure because no matter how many times the company changes ownership, I'm still the system expert. IT is IT no matter where you go, unfortunately it usually is cheaper (but much less effective) to contract out that work.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:41 PM   #4
AG454
I am not "Fast & Furious"

Drives: 2010 Camaro LSX454 1LE
I'm sure you are aware how expensive housing is here? Traffic is terrible. Not that I'm trying to scare you off. We do have marijuana 😎
Don't wait up 'cause I'll be late, I'll be late
AG454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:18 AM   #5
terry_b

I've got a bike for the traffic, brother/sister in law to split a nice house with. In my profession, most places drug test so mary jane is off limits anyway...

The key here is to get back to a state that is worth retiring in (in 20 years), but really I just need out of Connecticut!