The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Stingray Photos, Videos, Media

Stingray Photos, Videos, Media For posting of Corvette Stingray C7 photos, videos, and other media.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
Tran
Administrator
 
Tran's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NE baby
Posts: 5,040
Thumbs up Member gets time w/ Black C7 Corvette Stingray Prototype, Showing Dual Boost Gauges

A site member recently got some hands on personal time with a black C7 Corvette Stingray prototype (#37). He has shared some of his photos with us

Oh, and dual PSI boost gauges are shown in the dashboard gauge, pointing to potential forced induction soon?


Name:  IMG_0409.JPG
Views: 20285
Size:  352.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0408.JPG
Views: 17176
Size:  206.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0407.JPG
Views: 11065
Size:  320.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0399.JPG
Views: 14870
Size:  256.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0413.JPG
Views: 9556
Size:  261.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0412.jpg
Views: 8918
Size:  256.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0415.JPG
Views: 9285
Size:  244.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0401.JPG
Views: 9807
Size:  265.5 KB

Name:  c7boostgauge.jpg
Views: 46410
Size:  198.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0402.JPG
Views: 9189
Size:  237.4 KB
__________________
>>> Visit our CAMARO BLOG <<<<
>>> Visit our CORVETTE BLOG <<<<
Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
Stingray
just can't get enough
 
Stingray's Avatar
 
Drives: C7-Z06, Boss 302, Macan S
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SoFla
Posts: 3,353
Black is beautiful... thanks for taking pics & posting!
Wonder if he got some seat time as well?
__________________
Just a few toys... and from a Z51 to the Z06!
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
Tran
Administrator
 
Tran's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NE baby
Posts: 5,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
Black is beautiful... thanks for taking pics & posting!
Wonder if he got some seat time as well?
Seat time yes, but no driving time.
__________________
>>> Visit our CAMARO BLOG <<<<
>>> Visit our CORVETTE BLOG <<<<
Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
Stingray
just can't get enough
 
Stingray's Avatar
 
Drives: C7-Z06, Boss 302, Macan S
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SoFla
Posts: 3,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tran View Post
Seat time yes, but no driving time.
Thanks that's what I meant... darn no driving time but still a lucky man! St. Pat's tease came early...
__________________
Just a few toys... and from a Z51 to the Z06!
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
RocketCutlass
Property USMC
 
RocketCutlass's Avatar
 
Drives: 95 Caprice 9C1
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Camp Lejeune
Posts: 477
Dual psi gauges in the LCD cluster?
RocketCutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
philg4d
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1
This C7 has a boost guage!!
philg4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
Philr56
 
Drives: Toyota Tundra CrewMax Limited
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Warner Robins, Ga
Posts: 52
Send a message via Skype™ to Philr56
Corvette fans the world over are drooling on their keyboards right about now.
Philr56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
Tran
Administrator
 
Tran's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NE baby
Posts: 5,040
Added close-up of boost gauges:

__________________
>>> Visit our CAMARO BLOG <<<<
>>> Visit our CORVETTE BLOG <<<<
Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #9
Stingray
just can't get enough
 
Stingray's Avatar
 
Drives: C7-Z06, Boss 302, Macan S
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SoFla
Posts: 3,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by philg4d View Post
This C7 has a boost guage!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philr56 View Post
Corvette fans the world over are drooling on their keyboards right about now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tran View Post
Added close-up of boost gauges
:faint2: ...want... Want... WANT!
__________________
Just a few toys... and from a Z51 to the Z06!
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #10
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2000 Ford Ranger
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 32,045
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Dual boost gauges?

Do they actually do anything? I'd imagine they just sit there on the cluster at zero.
__________________
FenwickHockey65's GM Thread!

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2000 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #11
sonic656
 
Drives: 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Newnan,GA
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Dual boost gauges?

Do they actually do anything? I'd imagine they just sit there on the cluster at zero.
Thats kind of my question as well. Do they read vacuum at all?

What is the negative 12 on the boost gauge? 12inHG? No one says -12psi hahaha. Its called vacuum. Even so 12inHG is low for a healthy car idling. They must have just thrown some numbers on the dash for the heck of it and figured they will deal with it later.





I really like the center console and and ****pit look to the drivers seat.

Last edited by sonic656; 03-14-2013 at 12:51 PM.
sonic656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #12
GretchenGotGrowl


 
GretchenGotGrowl's Avatar
 
Drives: `12 LFX/`11 EB F-150/`13 Sonic RS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 5,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic656 View Post
What is the negative 12 on the boost gauge? 12inHG? No one says -12psi hahaha. Its called vacuum. Even so 12inHG is low for a healthy car idling. They must have just thrown some numbers on the dash for the heck of it and figured they will deal with it later.
But that's how boost gauges work. So -12 psi converts to about 6.5 inHG (gauge). That seems about right for idle. Not sure how they will display it when it's really pulling some vaccum. Maybe the scale changes???
__________________
EFR Twin Turbo LFX-GPI Tune-ZL1 fuel pump-10:1 CR forged pistons-3.45 gear-Meth Injection-BMR Trailing Arms, Bushings & Sway Bars-CircleD 4000 Stall-GPI Fuel Enrichment System
647 RWHP & 726 RWTQ @18.5 psi on 93 Octane (locked converter)
1/8 mile -- 7.158 @ 102.10 (20psi); old build
Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #13
sonic656
 
Drives: 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Newnan,GA
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
But that's how boost gauges work. So -12 psi converts to about 6.5 inHG (gauge). That seems about right for idle. Not sure how they will display it when it's really pulling some vaccum. Maybe the scale changes???

Ive never seen a negative number on a boost gauge unless you are dealing with BAR. 15-20inHg is normal for idling in my experiences. I've never heard anyone talk about negative PSI, its always vacuum(inHg).



Sorry for double posting on C7.com I figured it would get more traffic over there then here.
sonic656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #14
GretchenGotGrowl


 
GretchenGotGrowl's Avatar
 
Drives: `12 LFX/`11 EB F-150/`13 Sonic RS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 5,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic656 View Post
Ive never seen a negative number on a boost gauge unless you are dealing with BAR. 15-20inHg is normal for idling in my experiences. I've never heard anyone talk about negative PSI, its always vacuum(inHg).



Sorry for double posting on C7.com I figured it would get more traffic over there then here.
My boost gauge shows -PSI when idling and driving until I hit it hard. Remember, they are putting more and more electric stuff on cars so less is driven off vacuum I think. I don't think they have to run the same kind of vaccum they did 10 years ago.
__________________
EFR Twin Turbo LFX-GPI Tune-ZL1 fuel pump-10:1 CR forged pistons-3.45 gear-Meth Injection-BMR Trailing Arms, Bushings & Sway Bars-CircleD 4000 Stall-GPI Fuel Enrichment System
647 RWHP & 726 RWTQ @18.5 psi on 93 Octane (locked converter)
1/8 mile -- 7.158 @ 102.10 (20psi); old build
Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #15
sonic656
 
Drives: 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Newnan,GA
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
My boost gauge shows -PSI when idling and driving until I hit it hard. Remember, they are putting more and more electric stuff on cars so less is driven off vacuum I think. I don't think they have to run the same kind of vaccum they did 10 years ago.
Maybe im just out of the loop. I cant even find a boost gauge that shows negative on google. Vacuum sure, negative PSI, nope. Or maybe its alien technology hahaha.

6.5inHG sounds awfully low. Even with not running things off of vacuum a healthy motor still creates it with the throttle closed. I think the numbers are just a placeholder for things to come.
sonic656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #16
GretchenGotGrowl


 
GretchenGotGrowl's Avatar
 
Drives: `12 LFX/`11 EB F-150/`13 Sonic RS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 5,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic656 View Post
Maybe im just out of the loop. I cant even find a boost gauge that shows negative on google. Vacuum sure, negative PSI, nope. Or maybe its alien technology hahaha.

6.5inHG sounds awfully low. Even with not running things off of vacuum a healthy motor still creates it with the throttle closed. I think the numbers are just a placeholder for things to come.
Maybe it is a placeholder and they will change it when a ZR1-like version comes out.

I think you can make any boost gauge show -PSI if you connect the reference tube to something that reads both boost and vaccum. I'm using an AEM TruBoost, so that's pretty common. If you hook it up directly to the turbos then you only read boost. If you hook it up to the manifold it will read both boost and vaccum. We hooked mine up to the manifold because I installed a vacuum pump and it gave me an easy way to adjust the vaccum I was pulling without installing another gauge in my car. Once I got that dialed in I just left it like that.
__________________
EFR Twin Turbo LFX-GPI Tune-ZL1 fuel pump-10:1 CR forged pistons-3.45 gear-Meth Injection-BMR Trailing Arms, Bushings & Sway Bars-CircleD 4000 Stall-GPI Fuel Enrichment System
647 RWHP & 726 RWTQ @18.5 psi on 93 Octane (locked converter)
1/8 mile -- 7.158 @ 102.10 (20psi); old build
Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #17
sonic656
 
Drives: 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Newnan,GA
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Maybe it is a placeholder and they will change it when a ZR1-like version comes out.

I think you can make any boost gauge show -PSI if you connect the reference tube to something that reads both boost and vaccum. I'm using an AEM TruBoost, so that's pretty common. If you hook it up directly to the turbos then you only read boost. If you hook it up to the manifold it will read both boost and vaccum. We hooked mine up to the manifold because I installed a vacuum pump and it gave me an easy way to adjust the vaccum I was pulling without installing another gauge in my car. Once I got that dialed in I just left it like that.

I know you can get it to read vacuum. What im saying is that -12 is not a number you will see on a gauge reading just PSI. 12inHg maybe since its reading vacuum but not -12PSI. The "-" on your boost gauge is just there to show you that the gauge is reading vacuum now. So -15 on aem truboost gauge is saying you have 15inhg. The positive number is psi obviously. I have never delt with those directly but have been told thats how it functions. Since its just leds and does not actually say "PSI or inHg" on the gauge. If it really was reading -15psi that would be a very unhealthy engine with very little vacuum.

Which brings me back to why the C7 gauge says PSI but yet have a negative number. Its probably just a placeholder though ya.

Last edited by sonic656; 03-14-2013 at 08:12 PM.
sonic656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #18
ec1990

 
Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,407
It could also be a software thing for future. Why not use the same software for all models, even though there's no use for it in a NA car, a boost gauge could have a use in future vehicles.

Also what options did that car have? It looks like either a 2LT/3LT Z51 car with carbon fiber interior package.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #19
Bruno
 
Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: OH now
Posts: 315
Woo supercharged or turbo motor coming??

Possibly Z06 and ZR1 both going forced induction?
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #20
nguyennhatquang
 
Drives: Cadillac
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Vietnam
Posts: 1
i hope the Z06 or ZR1 will be a revolution.
they should have DCT or at least Tapshift automatic in them.
the low volume sell of Z06 or Zr1 now because the lack of DCT or Auto..
nguyennhatquang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #21
shank0668


 
shank0668's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Sahara
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,572
Send a message via AIM to shank0668
What were his impressions?
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #22
DrkPhx

 
DrkPhx's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Michael, MN
Posts: 1,025
Great pics. The boost gauge on the ZL1 is formatted the same way; reads vacuum in hg at idle and psi when in boost.

BTW - How does this site always get the cool pics first, hmmm?
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #23
sonic656
 
Drives: 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Newnan,GA
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
Great pics. The boost gauge on the ZL1 is formatted the same way; reads vacuum in hg at idle and psi when in boost.

BTW - How does this site always get the cool pics first, hmmm?

Ya but what Im saying is that the one in the C7 does not read inHg. Its just PSI, which is not correct. Even if the -12 was supposed to stand for 12inHg thats pretty low vacuum.
sonic656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #24
DrkPhx

 
DrkPhx's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Michael, MN
Posts: 1,025
Good point. I didn't see the negative by the lower 12. Mine start at 30 in hg and goes to 15 psi for boost. Though I did set up a pid in my scan tool to log boost (only in psi) and it shows a negative boost number in psi at idle even though it's technically not negative boost.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #25
sonic656
 
Drives: 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Newnan,GA
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
Good point. I didn't see the negative by the lower 12. Mine start at 30 in hg and goes to 15 psi for boost. Though I did set up a pid in my scan tool to log boost (only in psi) and it shows a negative boost number in psi at idle even though it's technically not negative boost.

Ya I mean there is a formula to figure out what "negative" PSI would be in vacuum terms(inHg) but -12 is only like 5 or 6inHg. Its probably just there as a place holder for bigger things to come. Im just looking into it too much probably hahaha
sonic656 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.