The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 09-01-2012, 04:32 AM   #127
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Drives: 2014 Stingray, 2015 Panamera 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Yup POA will work. (death will too) You'll find no one in the civilian world looks at the exp. date anyway. I think my wife went 2 years before getting a new one.

When I was stationed at Edwards AFB CA I claimed TX (no tax). Home state was AZ. I did pay state taxes in Louisiana so my son would qualify for college tuition programs.

Speaking of taxes... I will say one thing since you are newly retired. Speak to a retiree or local VA office (if not already) and get an exit physical done at the VA so you can qualify for disability or at least get things documented for later in life. I think you have a year, but will need your medical records for the review. This will save you both federal and state taxes for simple things like hearning loss. Retirement pay stays the same but some just becomes tax exempt.
Thanks mlee, I've already got quite an extensive VA claim for compensation. 4 time war vet, gunshot, back, migraines, 4 broken bones, and other stuff. VA says it may take my claim up to Nov 2013 to complete. I'm already working a job, but the pay cut makes it about even. Nowadays you can't even exit the military without doing separations classes and physicals. Now, whether the VA compensates you is a different story.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:46 AM   #128
swizlstik

Drives: 2018 Garnet ZL1
Congrats and thank you for your service!
Old 09-01-2012, 04:58 AM   #129
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizlstik View Post
Congrats and thank you for your service!
You're very welcome. I did it with pleasure.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #130
mjrracing97
Bumblebee1961

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformers Edition
Send a message via Skype™ to mjrracing97
Congrats Gunny, and thank you from a former member of the Canadian Armed Forces.
Cheers,
Jim
mjrracing97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #131
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjrracing97 View Post
Congrats Gunny, and thank you from a former member of the Canadian Armed Forces.
Cheers,
Jim
Cheers mjr! Thank you! I did a temporary assignment in Cold Lake Canada. The name was very true!
Old 09-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #132
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyG View Post
Thanks mlee, I've already got quite an extensive VA claim for compensation. 4 time war vet, gunshot, back, migraines, 4 broken bones, and other stuff. VA says it may take my claim up to Nov 2013 to complete. I'm already working a job, but the pay cut makes it about even. Nowadays you can't even exit the military without doing separations classes and physicals. Now, whether the VA compensates you is a different story.
They will... it just takes a long time to process... the key is you applied. I know too many people (recent) that skipped this step. Even if they deny something like they did me for migraines just keep the appeal process going. I finally did get mine service connected, but it took quite a few years and a couple appt's to my local Dr.

Con-current reciept is the ticket at 50%, sounds like you may get there. Best of Luck to you and your family. You'll also find the pay cut that you took won't take long to make up in the civilian world. Raises are much quicker.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #133
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
They will... it just takes a long time to process... the key is you applied. I know too many people (recent) that skipped this step. Even if they deny something like they did me for migraines just keep the appeal process going. I finally did get mine service connected, but it took quite a few years and a couple appt's to my local Dr.

Con-current reciept is the ticket at 50%, sounds like you may get there. Best of Luck to you and your family. You'll also find the pay cut that you took won't take long to make up in the civilian world. Raises are much quicker.
Thanks mlee. I also have a claim for OSA. From looking at the cfr, that's 50% by itself. I've been on my job for about 60 days. Things are going well. About 90 days I get my first eval, and a raise if I'm kept permanent. Sept 18th is the day.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #134
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Congrats Gunny. Can't believe I missed this post. My official retirement date was 30 Sept last year. I did 20 yrs 4months and 16 days. My VA disability paperwork is in Waco right now being screened. Waiting patiently for the letter or phone call to start going to the VA in Dallas for my screenings. Since I filed before my year anniversary I will get all the back pay to 30SEP2011 no matter how long it takes at this point. I have an unbelievably great VA rep that knows her stuff inside and out that put my claim together here locally. She has the personal cell phone numbers of the TVC (Texas Veterans Commission) members in Waco. Right now we are easily looking at 75% disability minimum. IMHO there isn't another state in the US that takes care of their Veterans like TX does. Other states might come close, but TX does it right. Headaches throughout my medical record, six visible scars, three broken bones, tinnitus, and currently going through cancer (brain tumor) treatment that started showing symptoms prior to my official retirement date. The VA doesn't care much about the broken bones or pain, their only concern will be range of motion from those affected areas. If the affected area has hindered range of motion, that is your golden ticket.

I retired low and under the radar. I didn't want a shadow box or retirement ceremony. I am proud of my Navy career especially retiring as a Navy Chief. I bled Honor, Courage, Commitment, and Integrity. I was there for my sailors on a professional level. Even though I saw and was partly involved with seeing a few sailors getting booted out, knowing the amount that I guided and mentored will always be with me forever. I still have people that worked under me call me to this day for guidance and help at times even a year after I retired.

I always told myself when I retired that I hope I don't carry a single thing over into my personal retired life. Guess what? I haven't and damn proud to say it. My mother raised me to be a gentleman well before I joined the Navy. Calling an Officer Sir or Ma'am is nothing more than a salutation and respecting their collar device as it has nothing to do with the individual person and respecting them as a person.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.

Last edited by NavyDood; 09-01-2012 at 08:56 PM.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #135
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDood View Post
Congrats Gunny. Can't believe I missed this post. My official retirement date was 30 Sept last year. I did 20 yrs 4months and 16 days. My VA disability paperwork is in Waco right now being screened. Waiting patiently for the letter or phone call to start going to the VA in Dallas for my screenings. Since I filed before my year anniversary I will get all the back pay to 30SEP2011 no matter how long it takes at this point. I have an unbelievably great VA rep that knows her stuff inside and out that put my claim together here locally. She has the personal cell phone numbers of the TVC (Texas Veterans Commission) members in Waco. Right now we are easily looking at 75% disability minimum. IMHO there isn't another state in the US that takes care of their Veterans like TX does. Other states might come close, but TX does it right. Headaches throughout my medical record, six visible scars, three broken bones, tinnitus, and currently going through cancer (brain tumor) treatment that started showing symptoms prior to my official retirement date. The VA doesn't care much about the broken bones or pain, their only concern will be range of motion from those affected areas. If the affected area has hindered range of motion, that is your golden ticket.
You are correct about TX... good thing you made the deadline or you would have been SOL. As long as you guys keep meeting the timestamps just be patient and all will go well. Miss one date/time and you're done.

I ended up 40% so anything I get from VA also gets deducted from my retirement check. Only advantage is the VA part is tax free. Now if I were a Congressman or Senator I would get con-current receipt at any percentage Just glad they did finally pass something for the military guys at or above 50%. Good luck to you also.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #136
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDood View Post

I retired low and under the radar. I didn't want a shadow box or retirement ceremony. I am proud of my Navy career especially retiring as a Navy Chief. I bled Honor, Courage, Commitment, and Integrity. I was there for my sailors on a professional level. Even though I saw and was partly involved with seeing a few sailors getting booted out, knowing the amount that I guided and mentored will always be with me forever. I still have people that worked under me call me to this day for guidance and help at times even a year after I retired.

I always told myself when I retired that I hope I don't carry a single thing over into my personal retired life. Guess what? I haven't and damn proud to say it. My mother raised me to be a gentleman well before I joined the Navy. Calling an Officer Sir or Ma'am is nothing more than a salutation and respecting their collar device as it has nothing to do with the individual person and respecting them as a person.
Navydood, thanks brother! My C & P exam had to come on my worst day. Had a headache, my back was killing me, and had almost no range of motion in my shoulder or foot. VA has received the 21-820 which is the doctors notes I believe. Just have to play the waiting game. My claim is outta Salt Lake, but I'm in SoCal. State of CA is pretty good to disabled vets. My unborn kids will be able to go to any UC or Cal State college for free.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #137
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Drives: 2010 SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyG View Post
Navydood, thanks brother! My C & P exam had to come on my worst day. Had a headache, my back was killing me, and had almost no range of motion in my shoulder or foot. VA has received the 21-820 which is the doctors notes I believe. Just have to play the waiting game. My claim is outta Salt Lake, but I'm in SoCal. State of CA is pretty good to disabled vets. My unborn kids will be able to go to any UC or Cal State college for free.
Thanks for your service. I really am not sure about my future, but when I see soldiers and the discipline they have I contemplate the idea. As of right now I am way to weak but I am working on that

Damn that's really good. Prices keep climbing a ridiculous amount every year. I think junior college for the first 2 years is the way for me at this point.
Synerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #138
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
Congrats GunnyG! Thank you for your service. All the best!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #139
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
CONGRATs Arron.... 2 years behind you and can not wait.....
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:06 AM   #140
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
Congrats Gunny G and Navy Dood. Good luck to you both. My Late Pop retired from the USN after 20 yrs as a CBM in '55, was at Midway on the Yorktown. I met some of his shipmates after he passed, the respect was incredible.

Thank you for your service.

God Bless all of our warriors serving in harm's way.

Phillies Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie and Chevrolet!!!!
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote