Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 02-01-2009, 10:13 PM   #43
Super83Z

Drives: 1999 Z28 1983 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCool View Post
Hmm....I think, I'm going to go with thepartsladi like you said. But first I might shop around a little.

But, I totaly forgot that the optispark changes after 1995. (Mine is 1994).
Actually it changed after 1994. Yours is considered the Non-vented opti. Another common LT1 prob if you can smell a faint oil burn smell after drives or see a leak at the back of the block, the back of the intake have oil seal probs that can easily be fixed.
14 Silverado
Super83Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:48 AM   #44
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Hmm....I think, I'm going to go with thepartsladi like you said. But first I might shop around a little.

But, I totaly forgot that the optispark changes after 1995. (Mine is 1994).

why was I thinking you had a 96?

lol but yeah, you need a non-vented opti that is gear driven not dowel driven. as for shopping around, do a search on Z28.com about thepartsladi.

but like I am saying. if you are going thru the trouble to pull the whole front of the motor off might as well swap out the entire opti for an extra 100 bucks or so instead of just doing the cap and rotor.

like this one
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #45
MrCool

Drives: '95 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
but like I am saying. if you are going thru the trouble to pull the whole front of the motor off might as well swap out the entire opti for an extra 100 bucks or so instead of just doing the cap and rotor.
Makes sence, since you have the darn thing off anyway...
MrCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #46
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Makes sence, since you have the darn thing off anyway...
I know you dont plan on spinning your motor past 6k rpms, but it happens from time to time. the rotor in the opti does not hold up well spinning that fast. esp when its already old and worn. and replacing it still leaves the rest of the internals that could be marred or worn already and could fail shortly down the road. not to mention, making sure you have the new rotor installed properly and the whole opti sealed up. which reminds me. while you are in there, replace the o-rings on the drive shaft of the opti if it does not come with new ones installed. also keep in mind that with the keyed opti, it can only go on one way. so if it doesnt go on smooth, dont pound on it.

and put a new gasket in the timing chain cover where the opti will go in. a lot of times these will go bad and spout oil over the back of your opti
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 02-11-2009, 01:32 AM   #47
MrCool

Manual vs. Automatic

Question:
Lets say down the road, I would want to mod this car up to make some lowest possible times that my wallet would allow me. Is it being an automatic transmission be a downside or upside?
Old 02-11-2009, 09:03 AM   #48
Shadow-phoenix
Terrorizing the streets

Drives: 06 GTO, 92 Camaro RS, 84 Trans Am
Send a message via AIM to Shadow-phoenix Send a message via MSN to Shadow-phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to Shadow-phoenix
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbotsfordtat View Post
Wear a condom and don't give her your real number.
lol

i had a 94 with a v6 and it hugged the inside of a 90 degree turn (suggested speed 10mph) at 65, and had no trouble. BUT it was a v6, a Z28 wont be able to do that, it could handle it, but if you even touch the gas in a turn like that, you will lose the back end...

Rust is the vehicular form of cancer.

A stupid owner is a Camaro's worst fear, second only to the though of going to the crusher.

Camaro: a vicious animal that eats rice for breakfast, and mustangs for dinner.
Shadow-phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:29 PM   #49
Super83Z

Quote:
Question:
Lets say down the road, I would want to mod this car up to make some lowest possible times that my wallet would allow me. Is it being an automatic transmission be a downside or upside?
A full exhaust, Cold Air kit, maybe some rear suspension parts, and a stall converter will make that car fly.
14 Silverado
Old 02-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #50
MrCool

Good places to start...thanks for the advice.

My question: Is it being an automatic an upside or downside when you want to make good times?
Old 02-13-2009, 08:54 PM   #51
jachevy28
Camaro. Is. Life.

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflict View Post
DO - Check the spare tire every other month and make sure it has air(bad experience for me...)

And like everyone has said, respect what you have under you.
jachevy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #52
MrCool

On the '94 Z28, does it have an optispark? From what I've heard, it's just a distributor cap and rotor, because the ignition coil is elsewhere in the car.

The correct termonology for this car is an optispark?
Old 02-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #53
Super83Z

The optispark is the LT1's version of a distributor. You can replace just the cap and rotor but it is recommended to just replace the entire unit. Cap and rotors don't usually make a difference with an opti spark. They are very sensitive units to moisture, why it was located behind the water pump is beyond us all. That said consider putting a new water pump back. If the pump is old you don't want to put a new opti in then have the water pump go and ruin that opti. Now you have to buy another opti and take it all apart again. I have heard many horror stories of that.

I had the radiator flushed in my 1995 Z28 at jiffy lube they got coolant all over my opti and my car wouldn't start. They were trying to convince me it was out of gas and the gas tank had to be dropped so the fuel pump could be primed. I asked him how does one prime an electric fuel pump and he gave me a blank stare. I just asked for a air hose and blew air on the opti and it started right up. I have never been back to that place.
14 Silverado
Old 02-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #54
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Question:
auto will be more consistent. get the trans rebuilt, throw a stall converter and a trans cooler and temp gauge at it and some 3.73 gears and she'll be a whole new animal.

Quote:
On the '94 Z28, does it have an optispark? From what I've heard, it's just a distributor cap and rotor, because the ignition coil is elsewhere in the car.

The correct termonology for this car is an optispark?
well, if you wanna get technical..... it is an optical spark distributor.
its just a different style of distributor. The opti has two functions in the spark process. The first thing that happens is as the cam turns, the optical section of the optispark picks up the signals by the rotation of the shutter wheel. The pulses are sent to the PCM via the optispark electrical harness. The PCM processes the signals along with other sensor input and determines the proper time for the coil to fire. The PCM sends a signal to the Ignition Control Module (ICM) and it, in turn, causes the coil to fire. The spark from the coil travels through the coil wire back to the secondary ignition section of the optispark (cap and rotor), to be distributed to the proper cylinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super83Z View Post
I asked him how does one prime an electric fuel pump and he gave me a blank stare.
you turn the key to "on"

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 02-16-2009, 01:23 AM   #55
MrCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super83Z View Post
I asked him how does one prime an electric fuel pump and he gave me a blank stare.
It's amazing how DUMB people can be when they just want to make money...COMPLETE IDIOCY!!

We took off the water pump today only...OMG!!! What a PITA!!! I wonder who is the DUMB *&^ who said, "UHHH...HEY...electricity + water = high performance!!"

We bought the opti and the water pump. Both are duralast, we bought the opti from autozone because it has a lifetime warenty...couldn't pass that up.

Next weekend we'll put it all back together...hopefully.

$400 frekin' dollars = water pump + opti (My wallet hurts)
Old 02-20-2009, 08:20 PM   #56
MrCool

Question:
What advantages does an LS1 have over an LT1?

Should I be "disappointed" that I have an LT1?

PS- I shouldn't be starting a new thread right?

Tags
beginner, driving, general, timer, tips