The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-05-2010, 09:26 AM   #43
Dep130
Póg mo thóin!

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngoliver View Post
who cares haha
Dep130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:31 AM   #44
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
1 chevy hp = 2 ford hp

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:39 AM   #45
Sawyer

Drives: '13 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkelz28 View Post
Torque !!!!!! It means you could have fat girls in your car and it will still be fast

I hope you don't know this from experience?
Old 05-05-2010, 09:52 AM   #46
prostock69
Female Muscle Car Nut!

Drives: 2010 RS/SS IOM Camaro
Quote:
Torque !!!!!! It means you could have fat girls in your car and it will still be fast

MODS: Borla "S" Type Exhaust, American Racing Headers 3" Longtubes, New Era Cold Air Intake, HP Tune, Custom Ground Camshaft, Professionally Ported Heads by Darin Morgan, Ported Throttle Body, 3000 Stall Converter, and 160 Degree Thermostat.

http://www.rehermorrison.com/; http://www.darinmorgan.com/; http://www.neweraperformance.com/
prostock69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #47
ckeane01

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
It's real easy...Ford took over a decade to figure it out with a "superior" engine design.
And even then they needed things like CAI and headers...
ckeane01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #48
bigearl

Drives: 10 Camaro 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmincamaro View Post
Just look what Porsche can do, they have a 530 horsepower naturally aspirated 6 cylinder.... but then again look at the cost.
Don't think that's accurate- the turbo 911 has about that amount, I think the GT3 is around 430.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
Bolt-on for bolt-on comparison between the Mustang and Camaro will net a Camaro advantage every single time period.
Has anyone tested bolt-ons? I was under the impression that no one knows the actual gains on the new 5.0 yet? You could be absolutely right, I don't know I just think that might be premature to say yet?
bigearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:01 AM   #49
Unfair
Banned

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigearl View Post
Don't think that's accurate- the turbo 911 has about that amount, I think the GT3 is around 430.

Has anyone tested bolt-ons? I was under the impression that no one knows the actual gains on the new 5.0 yet? You could be absolutely right, I don't know I just think that might be premature to say yet?
They have already made a substantial gain from bolt on's just like the 05-10 gt's did, evolution performance I believe 405whp with x-pipe, k&n filter, tune.
Some people on here will just ignore that and continue with the "gt is maxxed out" theory.
Unfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #50
bigearl

Drives: 10 Camaro 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfair View Post
They have already made a substantial gain from bolt on's just like the 05-10 gt's did, evolution performance I believe 405whp with x-pipe, k&n filter, tune.
Some people on here will just ignore that and continue with the "gt is maxxed out" theory.

Well I never bought my car to race anybody anyway. I guess I'll just wait a few months to get the final results. Doesn't really matter though, I would have still purchased a Camaro if the Mustang put out 500 hp- I just would be careful not to talk any sh1t .
bigearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:18 AM   #51
HIGHOCTANE

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfair View Post

I'm not saying the 5.0 doesn't have mod potential but that ONE example from a vendor/shop whose credibility has been questioned within the Mustang community doesn't prove anything really.
THe way they did that whole thing even has many die hard Mustang fans questionng the results...so alot of the "ignoring" of that ONE example is not without reason.
And I am not hating on Evolution...the 2003 Cobra in my sig was tuned on their Dyno...
Not sure if the same guy is doing their tuning now...but at that time he was not an Evolution employee..so I had no real dealing with Evolution other than meeting the guys,and they all seemed very cool and you could tell they had a love for cars and making big power. I am curious though who is doing the "ground breaking" tuning on the 5.0 for Evolution...if it is who I think it might be...he'd be the man who could figure it out. I've been away from the stuff for awhile,but I am pretty sure Evolution uses and outside tuner...although I don't think he has ever gotten credit for it...or maybe it is that he doesn't want to be associated with EVO? I never asked him...was none of my business.
So long story short...we'll have to wait and see what real end user results come out in the wash before we can accurately say how well it responds to bolt on mods...vendors and product manufactures claimed gains are at the bottom of my believability list.(sorry vendors)
I don't have any 3v experience but I sure hope it reponds better than the 2v 4.6 that was in my 03 GT...I'm sure people will figure out how to tap more power...it will just be a matter of how much power and how expensive it will be.

2010 IBM 2SS/RS Camaro (M6)
Previous rides:
2003 Twin Turbo Mustang Cobra(900 RWHP)
2004 KB S/C Mustang Cobra(700 RWHP)
2003 Mustang GT,Heads,Cam, N20 ect..
HIGHOCTANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:32 AM   #52
elcamino85

Drives: 1985 chevy el camino
Quote:
wow thats the funniest thing I have seen all year
elcamino85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #53
oldlugs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Bullitt + 2009 Shelby GT-500KR
Quote:
...and I like hauling those fat girls around fast.

While more displacement makes more torque, all else being equal, you also make more torque by having more cylinder pressure. That's accomplished by better filling of the cylinder, and by upping compression ratio. Want more torque..? Fill your cylinders better at all speeds (variable cam timing, optimized valve and port sizes and angles, extraction through exhaust, etc.), squishing your air/fuel into a smaller space, and lighting off the mixture sooner, so that it produces a bigger boom.

GM could do the same with their engines as far as breathing, but it's always been the cheapest, easiest route to increase displacement.
Problem with that is, the engine still is not quite as efficient, and will pollute just a little more.
On the plus side - in the long run, I think the less-stressed larger engine could be less trouble, and less expensive to maintain.

40 years ago, around 100 HP per liter was the standard for a N/A full race engine. Ford's new 5.0 is still much less than that, but it's getting closer. It's comparably efficient for a mass-produced street V8.

Writing on the wall tells me that we're nearing the end of our advancement in V8 internal combustion technology. Not because there isn't more to learn, but that other technologies are now catching up, and will prove more efficient than internal combustion ever could be.

It won't be long before we can buy 12 second electric muscle cars.

Keep those fat girls happy.
oldlugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:33 PM   #54
talwell

Drives: 1969 LS1 Camaro
I want to see if the new 5.0 can hold up to the levels that the LS3 has been pushed to. There are guys that have pushed them to over 800hp on stock internals. Also, I would be very curious to see if the 5.0 can achieve the levels of performance that the LS3 can at such low prices and ease of modification.
talwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:36 PM   #55
Mdun6

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS
Isn't there a saying that goes "There's no Replacement for Displacement"?
Mdun6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #56
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Man this thread is full of fail from both sides. My head hurts.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote