The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-14-2024, 11:24 AM   #2101
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
Word on the street seems to be Fall 2024 for the SS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
I did the same thing and bought an ICE Blazer instead.
I really like the updates on the Traverse and it's a bigger vehicle too.
Old 06-14-2024, 01:45 PM   #2102
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Since there is so much discussion about BYD coming to US with a $10,000 EV and ripping the skin off of US automakers, I put together this chart that shows how BYD vehicles are priced in China versus how they are priced in Mexico.

I also added notes on which vehicles available in the US compare closest to the BYD models and what their starting prices are. I also noted the Charge Speed and the Battery Capacity for the BYD models. For the listed "closest vehicle) I also included pricing (under the name) and battery capacity (in parentheses behind the BYD models). Please note that the closest competitor to the BYD Shark PHEV pickup would be the Ford Maverick Hybrid, but it is not a PHEV and therefore should be expected to price out a lot lower.

I converted the selling prices in China and the selling prices in Mexico to US dollars.

Long story short...the BYD $10k EV is not $10k unless you live in China. Pretty sure the US price would be closer to the Mexico price.

I should also note that when looking at Charge Speed, all Tesla models are capable of charging at 250 kW at charging stations that are capable of 250 kW. Some Tesla Superchargers operate at 250 kW, others at 150 kW.
What about EU pricing?

With the tariffs EU puts on BYD, one would think EU pricing would be close to what one would pay in the US. Though they may be very similar to prices to Mexico.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 01:53 PM   #2103
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
What about EU pricing?

With the tariffs EU puts on BYD, one would think EU pricing would be close to what one would pay in the US. Though they may be very similar to prices to Mexico.
They were very similar to pricing in Mexico before the recent discussions on increasing the tariffs.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 05:05 PM   #2104
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Quote:

Long story short...the BYD $10k EV is not $10k unless you live in China. Pretty sure the US price would be closer to the Mexico price.
Are the Mexicans applying tariffs to pressure the Chinese to build factories and appease the US? Or are you saying the europe and Mexico price markups are pure profit for the Chinese?
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 08:21 PM   #2105
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
Are the Mexicans applying tariffs to pressure the Chinese to build factories and appease the US? Or are you saying the europe and Mexico price markups are pure profit for the Chinese?
No. Not yet. Mexico has tariffs on cars imported into the country EXCEPT for EVs. EVs come in with no tariff but there is discussion about adding a tariff.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM   #2106
MyNameIs

Drives: Camaro SS
Another one Bite da Dust..EV maker Fisker Files for Backruptcy

No demand in EV sales....

https://www.axios.com/2024/06/18/fis...v-fisker-ocean
MyNameIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:09 PM   #2107
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIs View Post
Beat me to it. Even the “Another One Bites the Dust” reference.

Old Today, 05:46 AM   #2108
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
It’s not surprising. Even if Fisker was an ICE manufacturer they would be in this situation. Hard to recover when your product is referred to the worst car ever by a lot of reviewers.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:07 AM   #2109
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
It’s not surprising. Even if Fisker was an ICE manufacturer they would be in this situation. Hard to recover when your product is referred to the worst car ever by a lot of reviewers.
Not at all surprising. They aren’t the first EV startup to go bankrupt and they won’t be the last.

Old Today, 09:34 AM   #2110
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
We love the Rivian but decided to go with BMW because BMW is a long-established carmaker and would likely be around to honor a warranty and continue producing parts through the term of our lease. We would have never considered Fisker as they were already in trouble by that point. Lordstown was already in the rear-view.

Now, it's unfortunate because Rivian looks to be teaming up with Apple and I think that will be an amazing partnership. It also means Rivian is likely to be around for the long haul. Unless you are Tesla, it seems you need to be attached to a big automaker, or a big company with deep pockets. It's very early in the EV game...startups will still rise and fall.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:19 AM   #2111
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
We love the Rivian but decided to go with BMW because BMW is a long-established carmaker and would likely be around to honor a warranty and continue producing parts through the term of our lease. We would have never considered Fisker as they were already in trouble by that point. Lordstown was already in the rear-view.

Now, it's unfortunate because Rivian looks to be teaming up with Apple and I think that will be an amazing partnership. It also means Rivian is likely to be around for the long haul. Unless you are Tesla, it seems you need to be attached to a big automaker, or a big company with deep pockets. It's very early in the EV game...startups will still rise and fall.
Or a country with deep pockets (Lucid, VinFast, XPeng, others)

Old Today, 11:29 AM   #2112
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Quote:
Or a country with deep pockets (Lucid, VinFast, XPeng, others)
Well let’s not forget to include GM who was bailed out once already and Ford. Without taxpayers support I honestly don’t think either one of them would be around in 10 years. I see their world market share dropping to competitors and the EV’s they provide now don’t appear competitively priced with the exception of the low cost EV’s.

On a side note, am I the only one not seeing any of the EV supporters here not owning a GM or Ford EV? I’m not talking about a company provided vehicle, I’m talking about making payments. Blazers and Lyrics available long enough for people to put their $’s towards. Anyone Bueller, Bueller.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:00 PM   #2113
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist View Post
Well let’s not forget to include GM who was bailed out once already and Ford. Without taxpayers support I honestly don’t think either one of them would be around in 10 years. I see their world market share dropping to competitors and the EV’s they provide now don’t appear competitively priced with the exception of the low cost EV’s.

On a side note, am I the only one not seeing any of the EV supporters here not owning a GM or Ford EV? I’m not talking about a company provided vehicle, I’m talking about making payments. Blazers and Lyrics available long enough for people to put their $’s towards. Anyone Bueller, Bueller.
When Lyriq was revealed in 2021 I reserved a spot. So did my boss. More on that one later.

When Blazer EV, particularly Blazer EV SS was revealed in 2022 I dropped my Lyriq reservation and placed a Blazer EV reservation. The intent was to buy a Blazer EV SS for about $65k sometime in the summer of 2023.

Cadillac started delivering Lyriq right about the same time Blazer EV was revealed, mid 2022. But only single motor versions. My boss wanted a dual motor and opted to stay in line until GM started building dual motors.

GM reshuffled the launch on Blazer EV and raised the prices on all trim levels. So the Blazer EV SS I was willing to buy for $65k in the summer of 2023 got pushed back to “sometime in 2024” and price bumped to over $75k for the SS.

Due to the collision related totaling of my wife’s Volt, we needed a car NOW. So it came down to Mustang Mach E, Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Lightning,Hyundai Ioniq 6, Genesis G60, Tesla Model 3 or Tesla Model Y. We bought the Model Y for just over $50k. My wife loves it.

After 2 years on the reserved list my boss finally got her dual motor Lyriq in December of 2023 (reserved in April 2021). She loves it.

Now Blazer EV and Equinox EV are becoming more available. GM has broken through all the assembly issues and software issues that choked their ability to get Ultium based EVs out the door so they are now finally in full tilt ramp up phase. Had that been the case when we bought the Model Y we would have certainly considered a Blazer EV RS. Wasn’t an option at the time.