Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-01-2016, 09:02 AM   #1
BassWaves

Drives: Cobalt SS
Question Too many questions to research. Help lol

i got a couple of questions. Im just going to lay them out. i tried going thru the forums but man o man is there a lot of reading.

1- Drag racing: I am in the market for a 1`4-15 camaro. Mainly to daily drive but MOST of the time its to drag race. So maybe not daily drive but street driven. Now i was looking into the 2ss and the ZL1. is the 1LE suspension really worth the hassle to find a 2ss with a 1le option? or am i going to eliminate the suspension from that package and swap it out for better to reduce wheel hop and let it squat and hook?

2- Power: 2ss ls3 vs zl1. Due to price difference, would it be easier to just pulley down and few bolts on on the zl1 or just supercharge/procharge the 2ss. I seen a few kits and sometimes im able to justify the price. Currently around a few states, a 2ss is going as low as 26.5k while the zl1 i seen as low as 42k. these are both 14/15 models.

3- 6th gen: I love the looks of the 6th gen. I like the power. Hate the inside. Size wise. Its extremely tight in there and i cant see me using that parking brake button system. Now how fast are these things going to get or is it just the same LS3 with a more aggressive tune or what? i know the body shed a few pounds but i seen people trade in their Zl1 for a 6th gen. That there makes me cry a lot.

4- Power: How far has the ls3 been pushed stock form? if i were to pick up a 2ss and supercharge it and try to squeeze 650+ hp out of it, will the block handle it or am i looking into internals already? i know things fail but hey this is an expensive hobby.
BassWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:11 AM   #2
failshift
Banned

Just buy a zl1. You seem to keep hinting back to it. All purpose. Easy power if you want more. Very good suspension.
failshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:17 AM   #3
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Just get a ZL1 seems like that will solve all ur problems. And I wish we had a parking brake button instead of that huge ugly hand brake.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:42 AM   #4
jcaligood

Drives: '18 SS 1LE
6th gen comes with LT1 engine. Roughly 30 hp more than LS3 stock. They weigh a lot less too, thats why the inside feels so tight.

If you can afford it, go with a ZL1!
jcaligood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:55 AM   #5
Clammy Clemens
Z2M

Drives: Oxford White 2014 Mustang GT
According to my Book of Camaro, (auto for auto), a ZL1 can hit 60mph in 3.9 sec, with a 6th gen making the run in 4.0 sec. I would go for a 6th gen personally.
Clammy Clemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:11 AM   #6
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
The 6th Gen doesn't seem like it makes a lot more power than the LS3 but at the wheels it does as either the flywheel numbers are fudged on the low side (unlikely) or it just has very little drivetrain loss which I tend to think is the case.

But I tend to support the ZL-1 as well as its whole drivetrain is beefed up and pretty bullet proof. The downside is heat soak so I would guess you need to cool it down between passes but not sure on that one either...
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:57 AM   #7
BassWaves

lol. you guys are pretty helpful. guess ill just get the zl1.
the heat soaking im not too concerned about. i had a supercharged car before and its actually not that bad to remedy heat soaking. nothing a little meth cant fix or run a secondary heat exchanger with fans. gotta get them IAT down hehe
Old 09-01-2016, 11:04 AM   #8
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassWaves View Post
lol. you guys are pretty helpful. guess ill just get the zl1.
the heat soaking im not too concerned about. i had a supercharged car before and its actually not that bad to remedy heat soaking. nothing a little meth cant fix or run a secondary heat exchanger with fans. gotta get them IAT down hehe
Good point I didn't think the heat soak would be much of an issue but I've seen some ZL-1 owners mention it when drag racing. I think the ZL-1 is the ultimate car in many ways as its a strip and a road course monster and has the awesome mag ride suspension. I would still take it in a heartbeat over the 6th Gen due to looks and overall sturdiness...
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:22 AM   #9
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
If you think the 1LE will have you removing suspension components for the drag strip you are really going to be throwing your money away on a ZL1.

Buy a 1SS, beef up the rear suspension, bolt on a blower.
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:31 AM   #10
BassWaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
If you think the 1LE will have you removing suspension components for the drag strip you are really going to be throwing your money away on a ZL1.

Buy a 1SS, beef up the rear suspension, bolt on a blower.
anyway you can elaborate? this is why im asking. if there is no point in the 1le suspension for drag racing then i would not need to buy a zl1. that extra 10-12k i can probably have something crazier than having a pullied down lsa motor that probably has the same limits as the CTSV as to where once u break into low 11-high 10, your in for the money dump to go any faster.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:44 AM   #11
Freddy G

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE /2011 2LT
Quote:
anyway you can elaborate? this is why im asking. if there is no point in the 1le suspension for drag racing then i would not need to buy a zl1. that extra 10-12k i can probably have something crazier than having a pullied down lsa motor that probably has the same limits as the CTSV as to where once u break into low 11-high 10, your in for the money dump to go any faster.
From your description, I think you could look into a 1SS L99. Don't even bother with 1LE suspension, its setup for road course, won't benefit you for drag, and the 3.91 rear end wont help neither. The 15k difference can make that L99 a 10sec car. And you don't have to drive your monster clutch in traffic, which is NICE. And it's about 200lb lighter than ZL1.
Freddy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:50 AM   #12
BassWaves

it be almost impossible to find a 1ss with recaro. i hope it comes with at least RS package lmao. i like the HUD and lights .
Old 09-01-2016, 11:55 AM   #13
Freddy G

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE /2011 2LT
Quote:
it be almost impossible to find a 1ss with recaro. i hope it comes with at least RS package lmao. i like the HUD and lights .
The Recaros are nice and tight when you take turns fast. But it sucks for longer road trips.
Freddy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:29 PM   #14
Joseph1LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by failshift View Post
Just buy a zl1. You seem to keep hinting back to it. All purpose. Easy power if you want more. Very good suspension.
This. Seems like you've somewhat made up your mind before even making the post so just go with the ZL1.

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
2001 Camaro SS SOM M6- sold
1999 Firebird Formula A4- sold
Joseph1LE is offline   Reply With Quote