Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
karnov

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS 1LE
To Mod or not to Mod... that is the question?

I see tons of posts on here about builds, mods, aftermarket "add-on" etc., but I don't see much about people keeping their cars in the stock, or mostly stock form. For the record I plan on keeping my 1LE completely stock, aside from possibly a high-flow drop-in air filter.

I am just wondering what some other people opinions are with regards to doing mods and why they decide to go that route... and what are some opinions of people of keeping their cars stock?

My previous car I went the route of doing some mods and for the most part everything went trouble-free. I had a few issues with the O2 sensors throwing codes due the high-flow cats, but I got that sorted out. I still don't know if it ever would pass emissions because I sold it before I had to get tested.

I am wondering what some other thoughts are about doing mods... IMO they are fine if you can do the work yourself or have a reputable shop close by where you can go to for work and maintenance. IMO I think they are ok if your car is also not a daily driver and more of a toy or weekend track car. I think people can get themselves into trouble, have warranty issues, or end up spending endless amount of money which they will never see in return otherwise.

karnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
You will mod...that is the answer!

I will be 100% honest here...there are days I wish my car was bone stock. The exhaust hits the tunnel on rough roads, the supercharger makes a lot of heat, and since I started modded...I just want to keep going and improve/change more. I bet I would be happy just having the Camaro as it was with just a few paint mods I have made and left everything else alone.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
If you plan on selling it mod little, keeping it mod away.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Mod. A car is not an investment anyways, so not looking to get the money back out of the mods I've made. I want something that is unique and excites me. I now have that.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
Ambush
Rawr!

Drives: Giulia Quadrifoglio, C8 Stingray
no plans on modding here. i prefer the "girl next door" look.
Ambush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
You definitely need a skip shift eliminator on a 1LE
Old 09-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
rdsesq

Drives: 2013 Rally Yellow SS/RS
I have modded my cars (to various degrees) for 30+ years. It is fun, can be money pit, and as the saying goes, its either in your blood or it ain't. Body mods and stereo mods can be just as obsessive as performance-type (Engine/suspension/exhaust/etc) mods. Modding does not void your warranty (see the Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975, something many dealers seem to blissfully forget exists, until they are reminded that you know the law.) If you install a stereo and you headlights eventually fry. But the stereo never touched to sections of the wiring harness that control the headlights, the dealer can't just tell you "Well..you touched the electrical system of the car so that voided your warranty" You put a supercharger on and blow a head gasket, they can likely show that you increased the compression of the motor by forcing more air into the motor, so that head gasket is not covered.
Here is a good write-up of the act: http://www.impalasuperstore.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

Mods are a great way to make the car truly yours and a reflection of your personality.

I don't plan on doing much modding to my 2SS/RS, a few easily reversible cosmetic changes, and intake & exhaust. Maybe a chip. Maybe a Hurst shifter package when they come out with something for the '13 autos with paddle shifters. (Of course I say that now..in a couple of years I might be building a daily driver show car like I did with my 2002 BMW 330i sedan.)
That is the thing about modding...you never quite know where you will end up. Sometimes you have a modest (pardon the pun) plan, and sometimes it just ends up in a situation of "Yep, that's it, the car is done. No more mods......Well.....except for maybe this one other thing."

The other thing I will add is that there is no right or wrong way to mod, with the exception of safety. Different things are important to different people, and everybody has their own sense of aesthetics. While something person "A" does might not appeal to person "B", that doesn't make the mod "bad", just different. The modding community has much to offer within their own areas and to those in other areas.

You want to know about paint...go talk to folks in the lowrider community.
You want to know about metal fab....the leadsleders have a wealth of knowledge.
Forced induction...have a conversation with the import tuners.
Setting up cars for the track, headlights, and halos...go talk to the "eurosnobs"

We all have things to give, we all have knowledge to glean. I used a number of "old-school" type techniques and styles in my show car that I gleaned from others in different modding communities over the years. I also imparted some of that knowledge to my body and paint guy who was good but 15 years younger than I was. It was quite rewarding to "pay it forward" and keep some of that knowledge alive to a younger generation.

OK...I'll get off my soapbox now. (Can't help it...modding is in my blood. )
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
HarryNW
HarryNW

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS Black (LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thAnniversary2SS View Post
Mod. A car is not an investment anyways, so not looking to get the money back out of the mods I've made. I want something that is unique and excites me. I now have that.

Great comments from sd as well.

The only thing I would add is to try to get a sense of where you want to (initially) do and lay down an upgrade path. Is it to add HP? Then research and decide on preferred path (Turbo, Supercharger, or other) and lay out the progression. Too many time folks begin modding and find out later that a larger purchase invalidates or requires removal of a prior mod. I did this with a CAI, when I later found that it gets replaced with the AGP Twin Turbo Kit. I have heard other stories where they have had to roll back to a stock component to install a certain upgrade.

Good luck!
Old 09-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
ABMLS3

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Camaro 2SS/RS
atleast put an exhaust and make it sound like a muscle car

Power Source Performance Turbo Kit

416 C.I ,TH400
Instagram: TomTraube
COTW ABMLS3 Build Thread
ABMLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
blk13SS

Drives: '13 1SS LS3 '05 Neon SRT-4
If you plan on keeping your warranty intact, dont mod it. I have no plans on doing any performance mods, but I can't hold back from modding the suspension a bit
2013 1SS LS3/Cold Air Inductions/VMAX ported tb/TSP 1 7/8 LTs and xpipe/factory NPP axleback/BTR stg 3 cam kit/ZL1 injectors/3.91 gears/MGW sts/DSS carbon fiber driveshaft/DSS 1000hp axles/BMR LCAs & adj. toe rods/DSMLIGHTS E85 dyno tune 454/427 running out fuel. ZL1 fuel pump, McLeod twin disk, and retune coming soon!
blk13SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
Renee@SCP

Drives: 2010 2SS 6 Speed
I personally know with all of the goodies available it is hard not to do some kind of mod! I think it depends on your personal preference though. Mods or no mods, as long as you enjoy your Camaro life is good!

Borla|Kooks|Airaid|PFADT|Brembo|Covercraft|K&N|LG| Billy Boat|Vararam|Hawk|DBA|Roto-Fab|[/URL]
Renee@SCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #12
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
High flow drop in air filter? What is that?
Old 09-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #13
tohper

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
In the end its what u want. I mapped out my mods before i even bought my car. I opted for the appearance mods first. Got the expensive one's done for the most part. I went this route first because of the warranty. I wanted to make my car my own.
They look great stock also. If i would suggest anything it would be an exhaust in my opinion they are just to quiet stock.
But that's just me. I say do what ever makes u happy in the end thats all that matters.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Body-removed stock decals had painted in inferno orange
tohper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #14
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnov View Post
I see tons of posts on here about builds, mods, aftermarket "add-on" etc., but I don't see much about people keeping their cars in the stock, or mostly stock form. For the record I plan on keeping my 1LE completely stock, aside from possibly a high-flow drop-in air filter.
For best results and least risk, a tune should normally be done with any high flow air filter.

Quote:
I am just wondering what some other people opinions are with regards to doing mods and why they decide to go that route... and what are some opinions of people of keeping their cars stock?
Any car I've bought has had the potential to be modified in some way. It's just turned out that some cars got modded more and/or sooner than others.

Quote:
I am wondering what some other thoughts are about doing mods... IMO they are fine if you can do the work yourself
So far, I haven't had to farm out very much.

Quote:
I think they are ok if your car is also not a daily driver and more of a toy or weekend track car.
That's never mattered. My wife and I went grocery shopping on the motorcycle a couple of times while waiting for parts to come in to build or rebuild engines with broken timing belts and spun bearings. It was our only car. Sure, it's easier when you don't have to fall back on that sort of solution, but where there's a will there's a way. It is kind of nice now at my age to have two "spare cars" in addition to the wife having her daily and me having mine.

Quote:
I think people can get themselves into trouble, have warranty issues, or end up spending endless amount of money which they will never see in return otherwise.
Non-issue. We've kept all of our cars more than enough years to amortize the mod costs against whatever any new car payments would have amounted to.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote