Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-19-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
nasser71

Drives: Camaro ?
a Noob who needs answers About Getting His First Car.. Camaro

hi all im new to the forum (and new to driving ) im 17 years old from United Arab Emirates and soon i will get 18 and have my first car...

i found two cars that fit for my needs.. Mustang and camaro.. but now i prefer the camaro for the preformance and the sleek sexy look

so now i will the 2SS version with spoiler and everything ...

but now i got to chose between automatic... and manual

let me give you my ideas about the both of them....

Manual : a good choise for whom want to feel the rush of driving and changing the gears .. littile bit Stronger than Automatic but sometime it can bee boring when you drive in trafic jam,, or u can get tired of changing the shift when you go to the work (a 150 KM way road )
and to get pro in manual you need maybe two years

Automatic : nerly same power as the manual but people say you wont feel the rush with it and a sport car should have a manul ... good for the long roads
could be good for me because because my town kindda small and the feeling is good to slow down and open the windows and chill in 2 AM at night..

(the first impression when you say to somebody i have V8 Automatic Muscle car is : WOOOOOOOT! )

i have been driving since i was 11 yaers old.. i only drived Automatic and didnt try the manual

the second question kinda nooby:(.. what is ricer i have been reading it from alot of comments

and the last question.. people say that the American cars get corrupted fast... but i say to them : no the driver is the one who is responsible about the car status

so what do you think about it ? because i saw a lot of people with 1991 mustang or else..

sorry for the long questions.. but im a noob who needs some Guidness ( and some spelling checker ) and please i hope i see postive Comments not Some Comments like ( OH WTF DUDE U R NOOB DUDE WTF ) and also i hope to see some Tips that can help me
nasser71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
str8himalaya
A lot to learn!

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformers Edition
You will rarely get those type of comments here, i don't think i have ever seen any. Welcome to the site! First to answer what a ricer is...put a big F1 wing on a topaz and slap a coffee can exhaust on it, and bam, you got a ricer. Second, american cars today are not what they were even 5 years ago, they are MUCH better. JD power rates them at or above the others in intial quality, and a lot of them are every bit the car you will find anywhere else. Hope this helps, tons of good people in here, with TONS of knowledge! Welcome.

Current Mods:
-Spectre CAI
-Straight piped
-Power Wedge
str8himalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:49 PM   #3
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Welcome to Camaro5!

The auto vs manual debate has been brought up by many on here and in the end, I think most say it's a personal preference and only you should decide since you are the one who will be driving it.

Me...manual without a doubt! I've drove a manual since 1989 and will never have another automatic. Plus with the Camaro SS...more HP! I'll always take more HP!

I've been in traffic jams, on country roads or just around town and I never once wished I had an auto...just enjoy the manual more and like the feel of the car better.

True on the corrupted part...the driver is responsible for their actions...don't drive it like you stole it everytime you get in! Respect others and they will (at least should) respect you.

Ricer...to me, that's doing mods to a car that do not help performance. But, visual effects are a matter of opinion and some a matter of function. Ricer is a hard term to define and still not generalize people and their cars...so what may be ricer to some, may not be to others. Think of it this way...you see a car and the first thought is "geez, that looks like crap" then you most likely have defined ricer for yourself.
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:52 PM   #4
nasser71

Quote:
You will rarely get those type of comments here, i don't think i have ever seen any

good to see there is still some decent forums

Quote:
ricer is...put a big F1 wing on a topaz and slap a coffee can exhaust on it

HAHAHA i think you mean the (Green sparky CRX people)

thanx for the help

and im waiting for the variety of comments.. it will help me

btw when the car gonna hit the market ? some say in march and some say in the summer (summer here is in the seventh month )
Old 12-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
nasser71

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Legend View Post
Welcome to Camaro5!

The auto vs manual debate has been brought up by many on here and in the end, I think most say it's a personal preference and only you should decide since you are the one who will be driving it.

Me...manual without a doubt! I've drove a manual since 1989 and will never have another automatic. Plus with the Camaro SS...more HP! I'll always take more HP!

I've been in traffic jams, on country roads or just around town and I never once wished I had an auto...just enjoy the manual more and like the feel of the car better.

True on the corrupted part...the driver is responsible for their actions...don't drive it like you stole it everytime you get in! Respect others and they will (at least should) respect you.

Ricer...to me, that's doing mods to a car that do not help performance. But, visual effects are a matter of opinion and some a matter of function. Ricer is a hard term to define and still not generalize people and their cars...so what may be ricer to some, may not be to others. Think of it this way...you see a car and the first thought is "geez, that looks like crap" then you most likely have defined ricer for yourself.
thanks man for the comment. i think im gonna steel my brother Manual car and test it

Quote:
I think most say it's a personal preference and only you should decide since you are the one who will be driving it.
thats kind of true..i have to think about this matter
Old 12-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
first off, welcome to the site always glad to have members from overseas. it gives a fresh perspective to the place!

that's a lot of questions to tackle, but here's my answers:
it shouldn't take 2 years to get used to driving a manual, especially if you've been driving since 11. maybe a couple weeks to get the basic principle and feel of the car. it also ain't really that bad in traffic. an auto can be more relaxing if you're just wanting to cruise around and chill. it's all about what you want.

ricers... that's a generic term used to describe japanese cars that are usually all show and no go. they usually have some sort of tacky paint/vinyl/sticker theme and non-functioning body equipment along with loud, buzzing exhaust systems. check out the Let's make fun of ricers thread. you should be able to get the idea.

about american car quality, they've stepped it up a lot in the past few years. they receive some of the highest safety/quality/value ratings out there. as is with any vehicle, though, how you take care of it determines a lot. if you maintain the car correctly, it will last for a long time.

hope this helped.
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:01 PM   #7
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser71 View Post
hi all im new to the forum (and new to driving ) im 17 years old from United Arab Emirates and soon i will get 18 and have my first car...

i found two cars that fit for my needs.. Mustang and camaro.. but now i prefer the camaro for the preformance and the sleek sexy look

so now i will the 2SS version with spoiler and everything ...

Excellent choice!

but now i got to chose between automatic... and manual

let me give you my ideas about the both of them....

Manual : a good choise for whom want to feel the rush of driving and changing the gears .. littile bit Stronger than Automatic but sometime it can bee boring when you drive in trafic jam,, or u can get tired of changing the shift when you go to the work (a 150 KM way road )
and to get pro in manual you need maybe two years

Automatic : nerly same power as the manual but people say you wont feel the rush with it and a sport car should have a manul ... good for the long roads
could be good for me because because my town kindda small and the feeling is good to slow down and open the windows and chill in 2 AM at night..

(the first impression when you say to somebody i have V8 Automatic Muscle car is : WOOOOOOOT! )

i have been driving since i was 11 yaers old.. i only drived Automatic and didnt try the manual

If most of your driving is in a large city, or in slow moving traffic I would suggest the automatic. If most of your driving is on the road at decent speeds then I would definitely go for the manual. Thats just a general rule that I know.
This is coming from someone that has never owned a car with a manual transmission before. I have driven all sorts of automatic cars, and have driven a truck here a work that is a manual. I don't drive it enough to get an accurate description of what its like to own a manual car though. This new camaro will be my first manual car that i actually own, and my best friend tells me that i will hate automatics after i own this camaro. We will see.

the second question kinda nooby:(.. what is ricer i have been reading it from alot of comments

All of your answers for this can be found here.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ighlight=ricer

and the last question.. people say that the American cars get corrupted fast... but i say to them : no the driver is the one who is responsible about the car status

I'm not sure that I totally understand what you are talking about here. Do you mean to say that american cars are unreliable, because that is simply not true with the new cars that are coming out of GM right now. GM's quality is top notch by todays standards.

so what do you think about it ? because i saw a lot of people with 1991 mustang or else..

sorry for the long questions.. but im a noob who needs some Guidness ( and some spelling checker ) and please i hope i see postive Comments not Some Comments like ( OH WTF DUDE U R NOOB DUDE WTF ) and also i hope to see some Tips that can help me
No problem, I hope this helps you make your decision.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:19 PM   #8
nasser71

Quote:
first off, welcome to the site always glad to have members from overseas. it gives a fresh perspective to the place!
Thanks m8..

and thanks camaro corvvete .. ur comments helped me alot

Quote:
I'm not sure that I totally understand what you are talking about here. Do you mean to say that american cars are unreliable, because that is simply not true with the new cars that are coming out of GM right now. GM's quality is top notch by todays standards.
yes thats what i mean .. Viva GM... yes im with you i tried my brother 2005 caprice . it was awsome and i think Camaro would give me new prespictev ^^

----

the other thing that made me take a muscle car that ...in my country a Good Car is a car that cost 120k$ or 150k$ ! or a japanese car (ricers with Blender Sound that make people think its powerful )
and i cant find muscle cars these day.. but with the Camaro 2010 .. a sleek look with a Real Powerfull Engine i think its would be great to change people facts.. even i managed to make two of my friends consider taking a muscle car .. (low cost with Power )

and now about the manual and automatic ... 60% i will take Auto.. and 40% im gonna take manual.. i got to think about it.. because this car would be with me for a looong time

===

Ricers Hater gotta check this :

Old 12-19-2008, 02:59 PM   #9
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Glad to help Nasser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Legend View Post
I do, and She still is running strong. But whatever happens to it, is 100% my fault. I drive my monte really hard, but that's because i really miss the power of the camaro. I can't wait to have another one>

Another thing Nasser71 Don't get "ricers" mixed in with "tuners". There is a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
And to clarify:

A ricer is an idiot who makes visual changes to his car, typically a front wheel drive import (but not always), and makes minimal performace upgrades.

A tuner is someone who improves performance and makes body modifications that will help the car when it gets taken to a track.

Make fun of ricers, respect tuners.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:54 AM   #10
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
Hello nasser71, and welcome to Camaro5!!! As I was reading this post, I thought of a couple of questions I'd like to ask you if you don't mind? I see that you are from the United Arab Emirates. Out of curiosity, how much money does a gallon of gasoline sell for at your gas stations? Also, what is the highest amount of octane you can get at your gas stations? Thanks
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:26 AM   #11
nasser71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SScattergunSS View Post
Hello nasser71, and welcome to Camaro5!!! As I was reading this post, I thought of a couple of questions I'd like to ask you if you don't mind? I see that you are from the United Arab Emirates. Out of curiosity, how much money does a gallon of gasoline sell for at your gas stations? Also, what is the highest amount of octane you can get at your gas stations? Thanks
of course no problem at all ..

we have Special 95 .. low in price and performance

and we have Premium 98 .. little bit higher in price and give you a good performance

about the price of gallon sorry i don't remember... maybe in this day or tomorrow i will check at the gas station.. i will post here the price and i will PM you to notify you

but i remember that it rised maybe about 0.5$ after the crisis of iraq and all that
Old 12-20-2008, 08:38 AM   #12
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser71 View Post
the other thing that made me take a muscle car that ...in my country a Good Car is a car that cost 120k$ or 150k$ ! or a japanese car (ricers with Blender Sound that make people think its powerful )
He's not kidding, I've never seen so many exotics just playing around the streets of the city. Your country has some very good tastes, Nasser71. The UAE was one of my favorite ports I hit in all of the world. Not only were the buildings and hotels fantastic, but the people were very friendly, and Wadi World was one of the best times I have ever had (we were in Dubai, obviously).

Anyway, as for your questions, my recommendation is to make friends with someone with a manual transmission that trust you. If you can enjoy yourself with it, then buy a manual. Don't believe the hype, if you drive a manual long enough that it becomes second-nature it is never tedious. I hear people complaining about having to use a clutch in stop-and-go traffic, but it doesn't really bother me that much. I always just let a gap grow in front of me then let the clutch out and idle in first for a while.

But that's me, and you may not be as tolerant as I am with it. The only way to know for sure is to try it for yourself.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:25 PM   #13
nasser71

so i just asked my friend..

Special 95 is 1.8$ per gallon

Premium 98 is 1.9$ per gallon

Quote:
He's not kidding, I've never seen so many exotics just playing around the streets of the city. Your country has some very good tastes, Nasser71. The UAE was one of my favorite ports I hit in all of the world. Not only were the buildings and hotels fantastic, but the people were very friendly, and Wadi World was one of the best times I have ever had (we were in Dubai, obviously).
Maybe Dubai is the worst place to me... too much traffic.. and very restricted Police..

i love my town .. Police is kinda stupid here HAHAHAH
Old 12-20-2008, 02:43 PM   #14
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Welcome to the site! As others have said, it is always nice to have people from overseas. To your question on auto vs. manual: I have been driving for over 15 years and I learned to drive on a manual. I love shifting the gears and I like being able to get access to the power faster. So I ordered the manual. However, I am not using this car for a daily driver. Having a manual if you are driving in traffic can be a pain. I drive my 6-speed manual Jeep to work some times and shifting in stop and go traffic can get old. So it depends on your specific situation. As we have said before, you will be getting a great car that is a lot of fun no matter which one you get. Enjoy!
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote