Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-12-2021, 07:21 AM   #1
Rmkuper

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Suspension mount under hood

Not sure what this part is called. But is this normal? Car has been on off jack stands for about 2 months now has not seen the road since then. But I am 99% sure thwy were flush before.

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk
Rmkuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:59 AM   #2
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Normal.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:00 AM   #3
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Yep, normal.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:23 AM   #4
Rmkuper

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Figured it was. Out of curiosity what causes them to do that? I have never seen them like that before.

Rmkuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:30 AM   #5
Vicster

Drives: 13' ZL1
Yep Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmkuper View Post
Figured it was. Out of curiosity what causes them to do that? I have never seen them like that before.

Turn all the way left and right and look at them, the front end of the car floats on rubber donuts the plates on top of the strut shafts keep the struts from falling out over large bumps or while on jacks.

For the best steering feel and response replacement with a bolted in spherical bearing cannot be beat!
Attached Images

Vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:48 PM   #6
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicster View Post
Turn all the way left and right and look at them, the front end of the car floats on rubber donuts the plates on top of the strut shafts keep the struts from falling out over large bumps or while on jacks.

For the best steering feel and response replacement with a bolted in spherical bearing cannot be beat!
Hey I have a small clunking sound in my front end when backing out of my driveway when the wheels go over the little lip at the bottom of the driveway while the wheels are turned. Do you think that could be from the struts top mount? If so could you share a link to the ones you have? Thanks
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:55 AM   #7
AlanRubin
Banned

Drives: 2010 LS
The strut towers have a deep socket the struts go into, as you see, and they do not
bolt to the tower like others do. The plate is there so it does not pull out of the
socket on a lift, or a pot-hole.

People are buying these:

Toilet flappers, and modifying them to fit under the plate. They make it round, cut
the bottom out, then drill the right hole size for the stud to come up through, then
put the plate back on.

Or, 3" + large rubber or neoprene washers on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264859600776
Then making the center holes bigger. Those are1/2"
thick, TOO thick, but you can make it a little better
so it doesn't knock as much...
AlanRubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:59 AM   #8
Vicster

Drives: 13' ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
Hey I have a small clunking sound in my front end when backing out of my driveway when the wheels go over the little lip at the bottom of the driveway while the wheels are turned. Do you think that could be from the struts top mount? If so could you share a link to the ones you have? Thanks
No problem.
https://vorshlag-store.com/collectio...nt=36262093831
These are what I am using, if you get them make sure the plates are flat to each other. You may need to use a dremel tool to open the strut hole a little, where it is tight, there is always a little variance from car to car. Also do not over torque, the upper plates are aluminum the slots will spread open. Trust me I know, see pic.
Attached Images

Last edited by Vicster; 05-14-2021 at 02:01 PM.
Vicster is offline   Reply With Quote