The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
scuba264

Drives: Manual 2011 CGM LS
Tips on purchasing remote start (in wife's Mariner)

Looking to install remote start in my wife's 2010 Mercury Mariner possibly for an Xmas gift. I'm totally capable of installing one but I've never done it before.

If you have experience, what did you install and what was the cost? I see kits online for ~$50 but I'm not sure how much I can trust them. Last thing I want is her getting stranded somewhere (for her safety and eventually my OWN! I'd cut corners if it was my own car haha)

Any advice it appreciated.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
S S/R S

Drives: 2011 Silverado LTZ
I actually installed remote starters for a living so any help you need I would be happy to help. First off i would reccomend you go with a reputable brand unit eg. compustar, viper, astrostart, etc. going with a cheap unit can definately get you in trouble. second you are going to need to find a good bypass module and programming instructions. most bypasses will require 2 keys for programming on the mercury. Third you are going to need to find tech info for wiring locations this will tell you where the wires you require are located and what color they are.

Have you ever installed one before?

Shane
S S/R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
scuba264

Thanks for the help so far, you might be getting some PMs haha!

No, I've never installed one but I'm pretty well versed with wiring crap. I've repaired things replacing components on circuit boards, made my own LED turnsignals for my old car, done a ton of car audio and custom wiring...as long as it gives me the right colors and/or harnesses I'm not at all worried about the install.

I just started researching, I'll look into the brands you suggest. So you think I'll probably need a bypass also?

I can probably find the wiring, if I know anything about forums that info is always out there. I'm curious about True OEM vs Aftermarket that plugs into OEM vs true aftermarket. Apparently there is an OEM remote start but seems overpriced of course. Saw things like this: http://bit.ly/nkdhyZ that looks to have nice wiring harnesses and you hit the lock twice and it starts. I'm afraid of that though. Shes always a worrier and of course hits her lock like 5 times when she parks. Could be a pain.

I know when I installed my steering wheel radio controls I had to get the ECM update, I'd assume you need that for an OEM install?
Old 10-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
scuba264

Know anything about Bulldog? Some reviews said they were pretty trusted.

I'm looking for just a simple 1 way, she doesn't need an LCD screen hanging off her keys too. Saw this, comes with the starter as well as the bypass: http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/Produ...er-system.aspx

What exactly is the purpose of a bypass? Is it because the keys chips are tied to the vehicle now? It says you may need to put an extra key inside the bypass, am I probably going to need to do that?
Old 10-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
S S/R S

In my experience (12 years) I will not install bulldog units they seem to have a high failure rate and it is impossible to warranty them causing a lot of customer issues. there are different bypass modules out there some require you to lose a key some dont. If I were you I would be installing a 1 way compustar with an idatalink bypass module either a blade-tb or ads-tb are the part numbers for the bypass. At my shop the total bill for this would be $350 parts and labour, including keyless entry and rear glass release assuming it has it.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
S S/R S

With these idatalink bypass modules you will only require 2 keys for programming the bypass no keys will be lost during the install.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
S S/R S

The downside to oem and even aftermarket oem units is that they generally have very poor range where as a compustar even a basic unit will have 3000+ feet range.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
scuba264

Thanks a lot, great to hearing from experience. Yeah, the more I researched Bulldog I decided thats not the way to go. A lot of bad reviews after more digging.

I'll check out compustar, looks like a local place deals with them. Thanks and this may not be the last time I bug you