Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-18-2020, 07:59 PM   #1
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Removing the engine cover and possibly valve covers

I’m honestly not a fan of the fake engine cover. Chevy has to know the people who buy Camaros, at least the SS, are probably going to be enthusiasts and not fooled that it’s not the real intake manifold. We aren’t your typical Lexus buyer.

Are there any issues with removing the cover and keeping it off for good? I’d rather look at the black composite real intake and all the hoses and wires than a fake piece of plastic.

Second, I think I have heard or read about real valve cover replacements that relocate the ignition coils with essentially extension wires, which gives the look of real, old school valve covers in the pre-computerized ignition days.

Anyone know what I’m talking about?
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 08:05 PM   #2
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
I think the main use of engine covers nowadays is to keep water from flowing off the cowl and onto the engine and seeping into the coils or between the intake seals. It helped keep that whole area cleaner as well.

Out side of that I doubt it will cause I'll advised effects
Old 04-18-2020, 09:25 PM   #3
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Google LT1 Katech or LT1 Weapon X, they both make 'em. I looked at 'em for half a second, but WAY expensive!!!! ...and even then, it's hardly old school. I mean with an aftermarket manifold or PD blower, it's a sharp looking engine, but I dunno....I think the TPI of the 80's was the last genuinely "good looking" Chevy motor that made it into a production car.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:36 PM   #4
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post
Google LT1 Katech or LT1 Weapon X, they both make 'em. I looked at 'em for half a second, but WAY expensive!!!! ...and even then, it's hardly old school. I mean with an aftermarket manifold or PD blower, it's a sharp looking engine, but I dunno....I think the TPI of the 80's was the last genuinely "good looking" Chevy motor that made it into a production car.
Yowza, yeah I don’t need them that bad lol
Old 04-18-2020, 09:54 PM   #5
Jbanta1983

Drives: 2019 2ss 1LE
Funny you started this thread.. today I took off just the valve covers and I thought it looked much better but then i looked at all the harnesses and what not it exposed. Then I started to remove the intake cover and found its glued to a piece of insulation that is used to dampen the sound of the DI. Im not sure what to do now cause I feel ther covers are there for a reason. GM is not stupid they know people wanna see the engine but I think they put the covers there for a reason.. then again wtf do I know
Jbanta1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 02:36 AM   #6
CoeusAscended

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbanta1983 View Post
Funny you started this thread.. today I took off just the valve covers and I thought it looked much better but then i looked at all the harnesses and what not it exposed. Then I started to remove the intake cover and found its glued to a piece of insulation that is used to dampen the sound of the DI. Im not sure what to do now cause I feel ther covers are there for a reason. GM is not stupid they know people wanna see the engine but I think they put the covers there for a reason.. then again wtf do I know
Probably true but they couldve spent at least a few hours more to come up with an engine cover that doesnt look butt ugly. Honestly as good as the car looks on the outside, it looks like shit under the hood, it only looks good with a MSD intake or Whipple/Maggie blower on. I really dont know what they were thinking, the engine cover looks like a plastic shield youd buy your child who wants to dress up as a knight.
CoeusAscended is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:10 AM   #7
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
When I had my 2016 SS I took off just the side covers on the coils and it looked a little better as they just snap back into place. I also hated that fake looking engine cover too but decided that it looked better than the black composite intake.
Old 04-19-2020, 08:28 AM   #8
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
Most people understand that emission standards ratchet up every few years right? Well sound emission standards get tougher and tougher also. If those covers and insulation were not there, GM would not be allowed to build the Camaro.

My best friend works at the GM Milford Proving grounds in the Emissions / Calibration department, and runs the dyno that GM has in a sound proof room to measure this data (it is the only one they have in the company). The DI GM engines make a lot of noise, especially at higher RPM, which we cannot hear. And all of that stuff is not on there for aesthetics, but to help shield the noise.

They spend millions of dollars a year to eliminate noise that the human ear can not even hear just to meet these required standards.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:47 AM   #9
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
I took mine off for the first few months for the same reason as the OP suggests. I don't remember it being extra noisy or anything different about heat or noise. I put it back on after a while because without it the engine compartment just looked even worse - just a big black hole full of hoses and wiring. I had River City Creations paint mine to match the exterior color scheme - Hyperblue with silver rally stripes. So the center engine cover is now silver and the side covers are hyperblue. Its still not a great looking engine but better that all black.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:49 AM   #10
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkMissile View Post
Most people understand that emission standards ratchet up every few years right? Well sound emission standards get tougher and tougher also. If those covers and insulation were not there, GM would not be allowed to build the Camaro.

My best friend works at the GM Milford Proving grounds in the Emissions / Calibration department, and runs the dyno that GM has in a sound proof room to measure this data (it is the only one they have in the company). The DI GM engines make a lot of noise, especially at higher RPM, which we cannot hear. And all of that stuff is not on there for aesthetics, but to help shield the noise.

They spend millions of dollars a year to eliminate noise that the human ear can not even hear just to meet these required standards.
So in other words thanks to -ussies and the pc police cars like the Camaro are needlessly more expensive for parts and labor that is never needed for the proper operation of the car.

That’s all you needed to say.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:57 AM   #11
Scraps0f

Drives: 2018 NGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
So in other words thanks to -ussies and the pc police cars like the Camaro are needlessly more expensive for parts and labor that is never needed for the proper operation of the car.

That’s all you needed to say.
What I read is it is like shooting a gun or being around one fired, you don't NEED ear protection but it is a good call. Except we can not hear the sound/noises the engine is putting out. But I don't know how the engine could be louder than the exhaust? But I have no sound testing equipment, and also have no idea what these db numbers it puts out could be, or their limitations.
Scraps0f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:40 PM   #12
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Lots of people running without the covers but it sure is ugly in my opinion. Get used to it, most car manufacturers do it.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:46 PM   #13
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Thankful that GM didn’t put a fake cover on the LT4 in my ZL1!!
Old 04-20-2020, 07:43 AM   #14
Jbanta1983

Drives: 2019 2ss 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Thankful that GM didn’t put a fake cover on the LT4 in my ZL1!!
Fake cover? Do they make real ones?
Jbanta1983 is offline   Reply With Quote