Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-23-2014, 11:22 PM   #1
Soul Reaver

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
Thinking about buying a 2011 Camaro 2SS RS3

Thinking about buying a 2011.
I've been lurking on this forum for about a week now and like the feedback and opinions I've seen.

The beauty I've been eyeing has the following and I would like to get some advice on buying this car. Such as potential issues/problems to look for (known recalls?) etc, etc.

2011 2SS RS3
Convertible
6.2L V8
Manual transmission
MagnaFlow exhaust
K&N cold air intake

3 possible issues I know of so far for this model/year.

1 - Problems with programming of the air conditioner. This can potentially cause problems with it cooling and even make the compressor go bad. The car I'm looking at was not affected by this that I know of, but I am going to check the VIN to verify.

2 - Possible problems with the top detatching/rubbing/wind-tunneling/leaking by the doors. This car has not had any issues with those that I know of. Is there anything I should look for specifically to indicate if there is/could be a problem?

3 - Recent recall on the ignition/keyfob. The seller is checking into this for me.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! If I don't pick this one up, I plan on buying something newer next spring.

Thanks in advance!!!
Soul Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:45 PM   #2
satxrider
Bad 45th

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversay Edition SS
I think you're referring to the LS3 engine. I haven't heard of issue with the AC but I haven't met anyone yet that had any problems. My AC works extremely well even in the 100+ degree weather in south Texas.

But being an SS with some mods completed, I would look for unussual wear and tear. I would run the VIN through Carfax to get an idea of regular maintenance.

Post up some pictures or if its for sale on-line, post a link.
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger / Alky Meth Injection / Lingenfelter GT12 Cam / Kooks LT Headers, 3 inch exhaust & QTP electric cut outs / Monster LT1-S Twin Disc Clutch / MGW flat blade short throw shifter / Haltech CAI / VMax Throttle Body / DSS Stage 3 axles/ BMR Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Suspension Bushing and 1" lowering springs / Taylor 8MM Plug Wires / Tuned by Henderson Performance Technologies / EBC dimpled and sloted rotors / G2 Painted Calipers / GM Tower Strut Brace / ZL1 Factory Rep Wheels
satxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:59 PM   #3
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Check the top for unusual rub marks, tears, holes, and pinch marks along the sides where it folds and unfolds. Have somebody raise/lower top while you watch to make sure it moves smoothly and evenly (no slight twisting or binding). Check for indications of water or mold in rear seat footwells (water will collect here if the top leaks). Maybe see if owner will let you run it through a touchless car wash or spray top with a garden hose to look for leaks. There are numerous threads with pictures of things to look for in the convertible subforum.

All key fobs are on the recall list. If you read the details the fobs are fine. It is just a risk if you drive in a position were you can bump it with your knee while driving.

Good luck!
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:00 AM   #4
Mean Green Z28

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by satxrider View Post
But being an SS with some mods completed, I would look for unussual wear and tear. I would run the VIN through Carfax to get an idea of regular maintenance.
With many owners swearing by never letting anyone touch their car and doing maintenance by themselves, that's not really possible on our cars. You'll just have to trust the owner on that one if no service history is on carfax.
-- >> Some of my Projects My Fquick Page
Mean Green Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:33 AM   #5
Soul Reaver

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
Thanks for all of the feedback. I will definitely need to do some checking and ask him more specifics. I'm now wondering if it is truly the 2SS or just the SS. I was assuming the RS3 he mentioned was a tire upgrade/package, but as satxrider mentioned, maybe it's the LS3. Mark114, thanks for the extra advice about the top, that was another one of my big concerns as I believe 2011 was the first year they did the convertible.

I also forgot to mention, the car has only about 8K miles so not sure if that's too few that some issues may not have had a chance to present themselves yet.

Thanks again everyone! I'll report back with the outcome.
Soul Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:39 AM   #6
Mean Green Z28

Drives: 2010 2SS
Pull up the trunk carpet and the option code sticker should be on the left trunk floor.
-- >> Some of my Projects My Fquick Page
Mean Green Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:15 AM   #7
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
Good luck!

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:16 AM   #8
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
Accidental double... Darn phone!

SigPic by Hazman

Last edited by Demon War Horse; 07-24-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:44 AM   #9
bwk1971
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Vert Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Reaver View Post
Thanks for all of the feedback. I will definitely need to do some checking and ask him more specifics. I'm now wondering if it is truly the 2SS or just the SS. I was assuming the RS3 he mentioned was a tire upgrade/package, but as satxrider mentioned, maybe it's the LS3. Mark114, thanks for the extra advice about the top, that was another one of my big concerns as I believe 2011 was the first year they did the convertible.

I also forgot to mention, the car has only about 8K miles so not sure if that's too few that some issues may not have had a chance to present themselves yet.

Thanks again everyone! I'll report back with the outcome.
It is probably a 2SS/RS with an LS3 (manual transmission). Check out the convertible section on this forum. There have been a plethora of discussions respecting top issues on these cars, specifically 2011 and 2012, although 2013s are not immune.

Good luck!
"STREET LEGAL" 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 Convertible -- 2.9l Whipple Supercharger, CDC SportBar, Cordon CR-1 and MRR M017 wheels, Hex Vents, RPI ZL1 Splitter, CAI, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers, high-flow cats, ZR1 3 bar map sensor, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.875" pulley, ADM FPCM, 1LE PCV Oil Separator Kit, Elite Catch Can, APEX scoop and washer bottle relocation kit, Hotchkis lowering springs, BMR sways, BMR toe rods, BMR trailing arms, 620 rwhp, 564 rwtq, and tuned by Andrew Zurick of Complete Street Performance by way of Maryland Speed.
bwk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:53 AM   #10
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
You are correct, 2011 was the first year for the 'vert, and as others have said,thoroughly check out the top.

As for the 2SS, does the car have leather, 4 gauge pack, heads up display, Boston Acoustics stereo? All of these were standard on 2SS package.
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:27 AM   #11
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Go to the thread " Iowa members get in here" there are a couple of guys with 'verts that you could pick there brains with some of your questions. Good luck and hope to see you at some of the Iowa shows.