Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-28-2023, 01:38 PM   #1
05Goat

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
If I order a new ZL1 should I...

Get a regular ZL1 or go all out and get a ZL1 1LE? I'm not going to track it, but I might want the 1LE for WOW factor.. That's how I roll?

What would the cons be? A lot stiffer ride?
05Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 02:39 PM   #2
tartagliazl1

Drives: 2013 zl1 vert
If that’s how you roll. Get a zr1 much better wow factor.
22% lower/ 2.5 upper/ 2” headers/ cat delete/ x-pipe/ 2 gallon x tank/ 100-3 pump/ fic 1300/ dsx aux kit/ 103mm throttle body/ RPM 5” intake/ meth kit/ prometh lid injection/FI interchiller/ 160* stat/ ngk-7/ msd wires/ elite catch can/ tsp cam/ Che trunnions/ ported supercharger/ 1/2” lid spacer/ brick mod/BMR toe and trailing arms/ 751hp 757 tq SAE @17.3lb on a loaded dyno.
tartagliazl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 02:47 PM   #3
ZED/28

Drives: '69 Camaro LSX/T56 & '14 Z/28 LPE+
Quote:
Originally Posted by tartagliazl1 View Post
If that’s how you roll. Get a zr1 much better wow factor.
I disagree

I wow more at nice Camaros than Corvettes.
I also see more Corvettes than Camaros.
ZED/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 03:21 PM   #4
tartagliazl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED/28 View Post
I disagree

I wow more at nice Camaros than Corvettes.
I also see more Corvettes than Camaros.
That’s you. But the zr1 is the king in chevys sports car lineup.
22% lower/ 2.5 upper/ 2” headers/ cat delete/ x-pipe/ 2 gallon x tank/ 100-3 pump/ fic 1300/ dsx aux kit/ 103mm throttle body/ RPM 5” intake/ meth kit/ prometh lid injection/FI interchiller/ 160* stat/ ngk-7/ msd wires/ elite catch can/ tsp cam/ Che trunnions/ ported supercharger/ 1/2” lid spacer/ brick mod/BMR toe and trailing arms/ 751hp 757 tq SAE @17.3lb on a loaded dyno.
Old 01-28-2023, 03:31 PM   #5
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Goat View Post
Get a regular ZL1 or go all out and get a ZL1 1LE? I'm not going to track it, but I might want the 1LE for WOW factor.. That's how I roll?

What would the cons be? A lot stiffer ride?

Then roll on, right to your local chiropractor..

The 1LE package’s suspension upgrades tighten the screws even harder on the rigid ZL1. For starters, the springs are three times stiffer on the 1LE, and the rubber rear suspension bushings are replaced with aluminum pucks (yes, that stiffens the joint between body and suspension exactly as much as it sounds like it would). Next, GM’s signature MagneRide dynamic damping system with its steel-bodied hardware is replaced with a Multimatic aluminum-bodied spool valve damper set. This drops 23 lbs off the weight, while the spool valve design still enables variable damping force depending on speed and severity of the bumps. Then, by inverting the struts and mounting them in ball joints at the top end, Chevy enables negative camber adjustments for an even more race-like stance.
That’s not all that they’ve done to make the ZL1 1LE tunable to each track it runs on. Adjustable front spring seats allow the front ride height to be tweaked up or down. The rear stabilizer bar is adjustable to 3 positions as well, giving different options for anti-roll stiffness. The sum effect is a road car that’s 100% track-ready and fully equipped with an adjustable suspension for optimized performance on any track.

ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 04:07 PM   #6
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Having a chace a few years ago to put around 400 miles on a new ZLE, I'll say it all depends on how you intend to drive it.

Will it be a daily driver?
Will you track the car at all, how often?
How are the roads where you'll be driving it.

Owning a 5th gen ZL1, I'll say, first of all, yes the ride is stiffer. It was recommended to me by a GM friend that I lower the tire pressure down to 29 pounds.

Was the ride so stiff it'd jar your teeth? No.
Was the ride a bit stiff even with the tires aired down, Yes.

I would say that as a daily driver, I'd vote for the standard ZL1 over the 1LE, but if it's for casual driver on weekends ore for car shows, I'd go for the ZLE like you said, for the WOW factor.

If your roads are in good condition, the ZLE if good, however if you're roads aren't in the best of shape, the fact that the ZLE rides stiffer already, perhaps the ZL1 would be better.

If you're not going to track the car or very seldom, go with the ZL1.
If you do intend to track the car, then the ZLE makes a lot more sense.

So, it all depends.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 05:25 PM   #7
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
can put a picnic table wing on a ZL1 or SS with the right trunk holes and to me it has the attention getting without the harsh ride, and auto trans and better price.
https://youtu.be/WW89lwsIhpw?t=14

Quote:
I tend to agree, wow for most, for me it isn't and doesn't mean what I find more likeable; Camaro's with a back seat and lower price and more comfort.

I'm not trying to bust his balls but if he still rolls an 05 LS1 I don't find it so likely he'll caugh up the coins to buy a $85k tax title lic out the door ZLE let alone a ZR1 $150k.

Last edited by silversleeper; 01-28-2023 at 05:42 PM.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 06:45 PM   #8
05Goat

For context.. I won't track the car. I think the 1LE will be overkill.
Also, right now I own a 14 Corvette Z51 with a Supercharger with Kooks Headers, catted xpipe & tune.
My brother had an 05 Corvette base with 6 spd that I drove all the time. My C7 just doesn't have the driving fun factor. I don't even know if the ZL1 would have it.
Guess I'll have to drive one to see, or I might get a C6 Z06 possibly.
The Supercharger is a waste on the streets, its only good for bragging rights. I just like the looks and everything that goes with the ZL1. Does this make sense?
Old 01-29-2023, 07:52 AM   #9
Lou gill

Drives: ‘13 ZL1 convertible
Get a convertible….
Lou gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:25 AM   #10
Brutale arancia

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
I would suggest your choice should be based on it's ability to create a "wow factor" for YOU! If it can continuously please four of the five senses, the rest is barely relevant.
Brutale arancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 10:59 AM   #11
Limelight

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutale arancia View Post
I would suggest your choice should be based on it's ability to create a "wow factor" for YOU! If it can continuously please four of the five senses, the rest is barely relevant.
This ^^^^

It’s like asking if your wife is hot. It really doesn’t matter what we think because you’re the one crawling into bed with her every night.
Old 01-29-2023, 12:12 PM   #12
ZED/28

Drives: '69 Camaro LSX/T56 & '14 Z/28 LPE+
Quote:
That's you

I want a muscle car not a sports car

Mind you, the 6th gen is more sports car now, but I'd still take a 6th gen ZLE over a Corvette
ZED/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 01:45 PM   #13
05Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutale arancia View Post
I agree with this. Still trying to find a car that does that for me. My brothers C6 M6 did that for the most part. And oddly enough a friend had a BMW 240i M sport and the feeling on the road was like nothing I ever felt. If you could match that to the Vette, it would be the perfect car for me.
Old 01-29-2023, 01:59 PM   #14
tartagliazl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED/28 View Post
That's you

I want a muscle car not a sports car

Mind you, the 6th gen is more sports car now, but I'd still take a 6th gen ZLE over a Corvette
I'm talking about the 2019 zr1 I'll give up 3 fingers for one plus my zl1.