Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
jideker71

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray 2SS/RS Synergy
Need advice on tires--2SS

I apologize if there are all ready a million threads about this. I hate searching the forums. I get a bunch of results but not what I need.

Anyway, I got only 14K miles out of my factory tires on my 2SS. I'm told by all dealers (tire and Chevy) that it's normal and not to expect over 20K especially on the rear tires. Then to find out you can only get a partial if any warranty! UGH! So, my question are:

1) Do you get more than 20K out of your rear tires?
2) What kind of tire do you use?
3) Do I have to run the staggered configuration, or can I change the backs to 8.5" like the front? Yes, I know I'd need new rims. Is there any safety reason to keep staggered? I run as every day driver only; do not run on track.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
NYYFan325

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
My SS did not come with the stock tires (I got it with ~50k). I would advise against running the smaller 20x8 in the rear since the 275s wouldn't fit (I believe). A smaller width tire in the rear is going to affect performance negatively.

I got a set home Hankook Ventus V2 on mine for almost 20k and I have no idea how long they were on the car before I bought her. I still got some good life left in them
Old 09-22-2014, 03:15 PM   #3
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Lifespan of the rear tires is directly tied to the weight of the right foot. I've seen anywhere from 9k to 35k reported. 20 is probably pretty typical.

#2 depends on how and where you use the car. There are plenty of longer life tires available but you will give up performance and ride quality to get the longer life.

#3, most people that go to a square tire set use rear tires and wheels all the way around, not fronts.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:23 PM   #4
pcrdude

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Are those general gmax tires still well received here by the C5 faithful?

Old 09-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #5
Need4speed_motorsports

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
It all comes down to how hard you drive and how the road conditions are where you live.

It also depends on the tire brand and the material the tire is made from .

The tire usage here depends.

There are guys running Toyo, Nitto, Michelin, Pirelli, Accelera etc.

As for the rear I would keep it staggered the 20x8.5 is going to be too sunk it and wont look right on the car.

also this way you get a proper contact patch on the rear.

If you are looking for new wheels feel free to shoot me a pm we have some great deals on full packages that cant be beat.

Paul
Need4speed_motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:36 PM   #6
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jideker71 View Post
I apologize if there are all ready a million threads about this. I hate searching the forums. I get a bunch of results but not what I need.

Anyway, I got only 14K miles out of my factory tires on my 2SS. I'm told by all dealers (tire and Chevy) that it's normal and not to expect over 20K especially on the rear tires. Then to find out you can only get a partial if any warranty! UGH! So, my question are:

1) Do you get more than 20K out of your rear tires?
2) What kind of tire do you use?
3) Do I have to run the staggered configuration, or can I change the backs to 8.5" like the front? Yes, I know I'd need new rims. Is there any safety reason to keep staggered? I run as every day driver only; do not run on track.
#1 - Well I'm not quite there yet but w/ almost 17K on my original tires, I'm sure I will get at least 25K out of them (and expecting more) - they still look almost new. But I don't try to see how much rubber I can burn of 'em.

#2 - I have the factory staggered Perelli P-Zeros.

#3 - The staggered tires are for handling purposes only. If you don't track it or hit the curvy roads really hard, you should be okay with a "square" setup.**

**And by the way, I don't care what anyone else says about the subject of tire rotation on these cars... you can do it (side to side) so long as you don't have "directional" tires (ones with the arrow on the sidewall), and it does extend the tread life. I rotate mine at every oil change (about 5K miles).
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
I had 22k on mine when I took them off and could have gone another 3-4 but they were getting really squirrelly. I got sideways a lot, but never did a burn out so 14k sounds a little premature to me.

I would go with a square setup if you like, but do the 9 inch rims with 275 all the way around. You would not have even got 14k with a 245 on the back.

From my research Nitto Invo was the best deal for the size I was looking for. Tires have a tread wear rating. P Zeros are 220. The lower number the better traction; the higher number the longer life. There are some good name brand SUV tires that are correct size with wear ratings at 300 or better, but you will sacrifice traction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
**And by the way, I don't care what anyone else says about the subject of tire rotation on these cars... you can do it (side to side) so long as you don't have "directional" tires (ones with the arrow on the sidewall), and it does extend the tread life. I rotate mine at every oil change (about 5K miles).
From what I understand, besides the case of directional tires, the only time you can't swap a radial side to side is if you are unsure of the mileage since the last rotation. I've always been told if a radial is run one direction for an extended period, running it the opposite direction can cause the tread to separate. Could be BS since lots of people sell used radials, but since I've had some radials separate I try not to risk it by rotating tires I'm unsure of. With that said, I've got a set of military Michelins I use for street tires on my mud truck and they have been on every way but side ways with zero issues.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:19 PM   #8
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
All I know is this.

I drove my '07 Sol GXP pretty damned hard. All four tires were wasted. But that took 54,000 miles! Goodyear Eagle F1 GS2s. Almost exactly the power to weight of my Camaro 1SS.

I have 34K miles on my Camaro 1SS. But for 12K of those miles, it's been on snow tires! So 22K miles and my rear tires are wiped out?

I could rotate my tires on the Sol. No can do on the Camaro. So we get hosed re: tire life.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:38 PM   #9
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
I have 47000 on my rears and still going. They're pretty shot out now so I started doing burn outs to finish them off..I swapped the fronts out at 40000 mostly because I got a great deal on the motivo's. I have a new set of motivo's in waiting for the rear.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:52 PM   #10
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
Hoping to get about 30kout of ours. Stock P Zero tires. No racing, autoX or burnouts for me, so I hope to get there. Have 2100 on them and they still look good as new.

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote