Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #1
Knockoutpie

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Coupe
How do you remove the finest of the finest swirls left by buffing pads?

Hey guys I currently use m105, m205 and ultimate polish, I know there's something else I need too.

I have all these pads

Just curious I have one section of my car looks great no holograms or anything, but I feel like it's not a flat surface like how one imagine paint should look, it looks like there's super fine swirls in it that I just can't buff out, I can easily hide it with wax or a sealant, is there a certain pad or product I should use as a finishing finishing polish? Can't really capture it with pictures..

Just ordered this I think it's exactly what I needed.

I needed somethink to remove the left over agressions from m205 and white pad so I got reflect and microfiber I'll be doing this my next car wash

Last edited by Knockoutpie; 11-21-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Knockoutpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:48 PM   #2
Knockoutpie

To finish up my black beauty before sealing and waxing I went over the entire car with M205 and a White hex-logic pad! Should I have used something else to finish it up with?

Last edited by Knockoutpie; 11-21-2015 at 08:08 PM.
Knockoutpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:45 AM   #3
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
I can't speak for those polishes & pads. However I can tell you that Adam's 2 step, and in most cases 1 step polishes and pads will finish down to a perfect finish.
With what you have now you could use our White pad and Paint Finishing Polish they will knock out your fine scratches.
What machine do you have?
http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exteri...ng-polish.html
http://adamspolishes.com/shop/access...shing-pad.html

Adam's Polishes is the Officially Licensed Car Care Product of Corvette & Camaro.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:10 AM   #4
Knockoutpie

pc 7424
Old 11-20-2015, 10:22 AM   #5
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
105 is an aggressive compound, if you use it to remove swirls, is likely you'll see some haze or marring left. The 205 should be used afterwards. I tried 205 several times, it never got the results I wanted, nothing against it, I have seen some people get great results with it.

I found Carpro Reflect finishing polish to finish down much better and easier, I have used LC Hyrdrotech Tangerine pads (For medium to harder paint), and LC Crimson (for softer paints). I liked these pads better then the hex-logic because they didn't absorb as much product.

I've used them on a GG 6" and Rupes 21 with good results. I recently tried a new finishing pad made by Scholl Concepts, Neo Spider "Honey", it is a really good finishing pad.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:12 PM   #6
Merlin

Drives: Very Shiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS
105 is an aggressive compound... 205 should be used afterwards.
Here's a pic of both M105 and M205...Notice the RED arrow. M105 is an aggressive cut. M205 is a finishing polish.

Use correction compound to remove swirls etc. Use the finishing polish to clarify the micro-marring (haze) from M105.

Megs Ultimate polish should give you clarity with a soft polishing pad. What machine? What size backing plate & pads?

You could give Adam's a try. Adam's has a Correction Compound/Finishing Polish combo that you may wish to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam's Polishes
I can tell you that Adam's 2 step, and in most cases 1 step polishes and pads will finish down to a perfect finish.
If so, please post your experience and results.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:26 PM   #7
Adam's Polishes

Check out this test spot I did on this oxidized hood.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  118.3 KB
Old 11-20-2015, 05:39 PM   #8
DazednConfused

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Anybody have advice on the best way to learn to use a machine when detailing instead of doing everything by hand? If you've never done it before, you could probably damage the paint couldn't you, by doing it wrong?

I've noticed a few swirl marks on my roof and hood, and I've read the machine will remove them a lot better than by hand. (Let me know if I'm wrong about this) Thanks in advance, just trying to learn as I go.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2015, 06:47 PM   #9
Adam's Polishes

All the polishers that Adam's sells are orbital they are super safe you will not damage your paint.

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/polishing.html
Old 11-20-2015, 06:59 PM   #10
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazednConfused View Post
Anybody have advice on the best way to learn to use a machine when detailing instead of doing everything by hand? If you've never done it before, you could probably damage the paint couldn't you, by doing it wrong?

I've noticed a few swirl marks on my roof and hood, and I've read the machine will remove them a lot better than by hand. (Let me know if I'm wrong about this) Thanks in advance, just trying to learn as I go.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:30 PM   #11
Merlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam's Polishes View Post
All the polishers that Adam's sells are orbital they are super safe you will not damage your paint.
I agree that a Dual Action polisher is safer than a rotary due to the free floating spindle assembly (similar to a clutch) but even a mild machine like a Porter Cable 7424xp can cut through the clear coat. (Don't ask me how I know)

That said, the advantage of many modern Dual Action (DA) polishers is the fact that it will stop rotation if downward pressure or polishing angle is not correct. This will help protect you from "burning through the paint".

Dual Action pattern (oscillate and rotate)

Burning through the paint is much easier to do with a direct drive rotary or even a direct drive DA (Flex 3401). These machines continue to rotate under heavy pressure and angles and peaks. This is dangerous in inexperienced hands.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:33 PM   #12
Adam's Polishes

Here's another pic of Adam's paint correcting that I have done. You can see where the tape was, the whole panel was wet sanded.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  128.4 KB
Old 11-20-2015, 07:44 PM   #13
Merlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Great post!

Excellent video on different machine types...well worth the time to view and learn.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:00 PM   #14
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinii View Post
Great post!

Excellent video on different machine types...well worth the time to view and learn.

Thanks, I've learned a lot from him, and several other pro detailers like yourself. I have always wondered why he moves the polisher so fast though. Super soft paint on Porsche?

I like one of his latest for polishing super soft paint, I think he learned this from Kevin Brown.

I also liked this one from Kevin Brown with Ammo about technique on curved panels. Not many vehicles are flat today.