Thread: Updating a car
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2007, 08:23 PM   #40
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
That's what I thought, but how "clean is it" do you know, I mean they call it a clean fuel, but I would hardly call down 20% or so of any significance...

I like it because of the power it provides along with the throaty roar still coming from the exaust
If by "clean" you mean CO2 emissions, then it is really tough to say.

I will admit that I am far less knowledgable about ethanol than I am Biodiesel, but...

A great deal of people will tell you that it will reduce CO2 emissions by anywhere from 60 - 75%. However it is all subject to how you intrepret it. The majority of the hydrocarbons that are in ethanol and biodesiel were created from the CO2 already in the air through the process of photosynthesis. Therefore, it is argued that only a small amount of "new" co2 is released into the air when these fuels are burned as opposed to the co2 that is released from current gasoline or desiel that is made from carbon that has been stored as petroleum.

As I said, I am not nearly as up to date on the current research surrounding alternative fuels, so I do not know if it is really known how much "new" co2 these fuels add to the air and how much is just pure speculation.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote